Chiefs downplay talent in this draft - last year's "once in a

From ProFootballTalk.com:

http://profootballta...all-draft-pick/

Chiefs are saying the talent in this draft is significantly inferior to last year's draft....

“That’s one of those drafts that come along every two decades, maybe every three decades, when you have that many impact players,” Dorsey said.

At a time when they want to drum up enthusiasm, they feel that the draft is weak enough that they need to temper fans' expectations.

Just an interesting article.

Edited by OldTimer1960

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the chiefs are taking the right approach. As much as they would love to draft a frachise QB, if there is not one there they might as well draft a different position. Bills fans might have to live with Fitzpatrick for another year, and I'm fine with that. When there is a franchise QB available however, the bills need to make a redskins like move to get him.

At the QB position I think that's practically a given. From most mocks, etc. out there, it looks like the talent is defense-heavy anyway.

Luck was a once in a generation prospect - better prospect out of college than any QB since Elway - yes that includes P. Manning, who had a few small question marks. Luck had none.

RG3 was a damned good prospect.

1983 was 30 years ago, so yeah, at QB for sure you don't get drafts like this, pretty much ever. Have we mentioned how horrendous it is Nix didn't get Wilson or Cousins?? :wallbash:

I still think we can take a QB high if there's one we think can play but don't think is a "franchise" guy...you don't have to pay them as much now...and as an organization you just adopt the San Fran attitude that basically says QBs are like anything else and the guy can lose his job...

At the QB position I think that's practically a given. From most mocks, etc. out there, it looks like the talent is defense-heavy anyway.

Luck was a once in a generation prospect - better prospect out of college than any QB since Elway - yes that includes P. Manning, who had a few small question marks. Luck had none.

RG3 was a damned good prospect.

1983 was 30 years ago, so yeah, at QB for sure you don't get drafts like this, pretty much ever. Have we mentioned how horrendous it is Nix didn't get Wilson or Cousins?? :wallbash:

I can't say for sure that Kirk Cousins might not become a good starting QB, but there is too much hype for him (IMHO).

He has 4TDs, 3INTs, 1 Fumble, and been sacked 3 times (once every 16 pass attempts). Yes, he showed a bit of potential, but I think way too early to be banging our heads because we didn't get him.

I think the chiefs are taking the right approach. As much as they would love to draft a frachise QB, if there is not one there they might as well draft a different position. Bills fans might have to live with Fitzpatrick for another year, and I'm fine with that. When there is a franchise QB available however, the bills need to make a redskins like move to get him.

The Bills will draft a QB this year. Question is not if but when. I hate to think so but they are likely to reach.

That's the smart move. If you're at #1 you are both negotiating with potential picks and looking at the value of trading down. Spreading the notion that they're not that excited by or sold on any one player tells other teams they are open for business. It also tells players that they might want to draw down a bit in their negotiation demands, in hopes of being #1 overall and still likely getting the most money in the draft.

Completely disagree. Another year of Fitz will produce exactly the same results as the past two years. He is not capable of getting it done. He had his shot and he failed. I'm sure that there will be at least one QB in this draft that can start right away. More than likely there is more than one. Sign a veteran FA and draft the best QB available. Cut both Fitz and Thigpen. Time to move on.

That's the smart move. If you're at #1 you are both negotiating with potential picks and looking at the value of trading down. Spreading the notion that they're not that excited by or sold on any one player tells other teams they are open for business. It also tells players that they might want to draw down a bit in their negotiation demands, in hopes of being #1 overall and still likely getting the most money in the draft.

Doesn't that also lower the 'price' on trading up? I would think saying 'we are not trading out of this spot unless someone wants to pull a Ditka/Ricky Williams type of trade' would at least start the offers at the Herschel Walker level.

kj

Doesn't that also lower the 'price' on trading up? I would think saying 'we are not trading out of this spot unless someone wants to pull a Ditka/Ricky Williams type of trade' would at least start the offers at the Herschel Walker level.

kj

While I think you have a point, it's early enough to serve notice that the pick is available to see if anybody starts biting, then start playing offers against one another. They can then make threats to just use the pick on a guy they eventually like.

kj

Ya there's nothing good about publicly saying everybody sucks if you hold a top pick you want to get rid of.

Completely disagree. Another year of Fitz will produce exactly the same results as the past two years. He is not capable of getting it done. He had his shot and he failed. I'm sure that there will be at least one QB in this draft that can start right away. More than likely there is more than one. Sign a veteran FA and draft the best QB available. Cut both Fitz and Thigpen. Time to move on.

There may be one quarterback who will start. The question is which one considering ten or so will be drafted.

Andy Reid is a magician with the QB position...

I wonder if they select Luke Joeckel OT for their first...and settle the QB spot in later rounds

How many QBs has Andy turned into SB Champions - ZERO.

McNabb was drafted in the top of the 1st round

Andy Reid has had the same dubious record as Nix does with QBs.