Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Did I miss some important piece of information that supports T'eo?

This article suggests he is far from being unshredable.

http://www.sbnation....e-investigation

The investigation ordered by Notre Dame was limited to the electronic search, [Notre Dame spokesman Dennis] Brown said. Investigators did not interview Te'o or his family, nor did anyone attempt to contact Ronaiah Tuiasosopo or any of his relatives.

In response to questions, university officials said the investigators did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua....

Now I am missing something, isn't an electronic search a search of emails or other electronic communications? Maybe the goal was to establish the fraud. Once established the investigation is done. Which is where this story is at, done. Manti needs a great combine. Great 40 numbers, other explosion drills as well as very stong interviews. I think it is obvious that some GMs will question his maturity and leadership intagibles. Those qualities are important for every first rounder and Te'o epecially.

Edited by agardin

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too hard for you to figure out, even after I told you yesterday, that I'm replying to the person above me (no need to quote it in that case).

In a thread that has produced ~50 pages of replies in less than a week, I'd hope you know not everyone is reading every entry. I'm just busting your balls, though, as I blame my own resistance to reading. But if you weren't a poster who I thought gave good insight I wouldn't give a ****. But I do like what you say so its nice to know what you're replying to.

Edited by stevestojan

The investigation ordered by Notre Dame was limited to the electronic search, [Notre Dame spokesman Dennis] Brown said. Investigators did not interview Te'o or his family, nor did anyone attempt to contact Ronaiah Tuiasosopo or any of his relatives.

In response to questions, university officials said the investigators did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua....

So your point is that since an investigation did not conclusively find that he was innocent, everyone should remain ready to pounce?

Wow.

In a thread that has produced ~50 pages of replies in less than a week, I'd hope you know not everyone is reading every entry. I'm just busting your balls, though, as I blame my own resistance to reading. But if you weren't a poster who I thought gave good insight I wouldn't give a ****. But I do like what you say so its nice to know what you're replying to.

How's this? :beer:

I am resistant to reading the long posts, too!

And this is why I said that it would be logical for Team Te'o to no longer pursue this issue. Again, if he chooses to sue Tuiasosopo, it would only bring greater scrutiny on evidence which may not help Te'o's case. There is a vast grey area here and it is far from a black and white issue.

Yeah, you missed it. Sorry.

No, Dibs did not miss anything. There is a wide range between those who are stating that Te'o is absolutely innocent in all his actions and those stating the opposite.

The Notre Dame people said that they "did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua…."

The entire issue of Te'o's embellishment of facts (again, HIS WORDS) has not been determined. He admitted to perpetuating the belief that he had met Lennay. Some of his teammates do not believe that Manti is a totally honest or innocent person in this situation. If a person repeatedly talked about a girlfriend and marathon phone calls all the while gaining enormous positive publicity, there is a chance that he not only was naive, but also acted badly within his circumstances.

So your point is that since an investigation did not conclusively find that he was innocent, everyone should remain ready to pounce?

Wow.

Faustus, there is an equal and equally vocal number of people here (actually more by my count) who think Manti is completely innocent of everything. I think that belief is equally delusional as those who think he was completely complict in this scheme (not me).

Why is it hard to believe that Manti was deceived, but also that he made a bad decision to take the ball (enormous positive publicity with little or no basis) and run with it?

Why is it hard to believe that Manti was deceived, but also that he made a bad decision to take the ball (enormous positive publicity with little or no basis) and run with it?

Because it's too easy to get caught! I'm not saying it didn't happen, but since you ask why it so hard to believe, that's why. I find it VERY hard to believe that someone who knows good and well how intense media attention can be would make a decision to pursue such an easily dissected lie. I find it far more easy to believe that he was taken in by the scam and panicked when he learned the truth.

Either way, my question above stands. Why would anyone's standby position be "just wait, hopefully we can destroy his life when a little more info comes out!!!!" ?

Wow.

Good Lord! I even pasted some of the relevant part of the article so you wouldn't have to read it.....and I get that response????

The article states that upon questioning, the university said that the investigators didn't interview T'eo....nor his family....nor Tuiasosopo....nor any of his family. They didn't look into T'eo's phone records....nor his emails....nor any other electronic communications he had in relation to the situation.

In short.....they took T'eo at his word and didn't investigate anything in relation to whether he might or might not have been in some way complicit in the situation.

With all of the strangeness involved in this(Tuiasosopo being known to T'eo.....close enough for T'eo to plug his youtube single on twitter, the picture of the girlfriend being a prom queen from T'eo's high school, the extraordinary amount of time/effort that the as yet unnamed "girlfriend" put in to the hoax, etc, etc, etc).....it is fully reasonable to think that T'eo might well have been involved.

I have said before, all T'eo need do is show his phone records to one of the hundreds of reporters that would love to be able to break the story that he was indeed a victim and not a perpetrator in the hoax.

Good Lord! I even pasted some of the relevant part of the article so you wouldn't have to read it.....and I get that response????

Good lord! I read the article. Nothing in there to incriminate Teo. So again, you think that lack of proving him innocent means we should all stand at the ready to "shred" him? Good for you.

The article states that upon questioning, the university said that the investigators didn't interview T'eo....nor his family....nor Tuiasosopo....nor any of his family. They didn't look into T'eo's phone records....nor his emails....nor any other electronic communications he had in relation to the situation.

In short.....they took T'eo at his word and didn't investigate anything in relation to whether he might or might not have been in some way complicit in the situation.

With all of the strangeness involved in this(Tuiasosopo being known to T'eo.....close enough for T'eo to plug his youtube single on twitter, the picture of the girlfriend being a prom queen from T'eo's high school, the extraordinary amount of time/effort that the as yet unnamed "girlfriend" put in to the hoax, etc, etc, etc).....it is fully reasonable to think that T'eo might well have been involved.

I have said before, all T'eo need do is show his phone records to one of the hundreds of reporters that would love to be able to break the story that he was indeed a victim and not a perpetrator in the hoax.

I guess the question is why does Te'o have to prove it at this point? Why do we have to seek any hole we can find?

He's made a statement that he was fooled. The perpetrator says it was a hoax. Friends and family say they have done this to multiple people.

I think many really want a reason to point a finger at him here. He embellished an online relationship. Because of how it ended, and who he is the media picked it up. Maybe I'm not remembering accurately but I never felt he was pushing or exploiting the story when we thought it was true.

Is he 100% blame free? No, but why do we need to hammer him on this, unless something comes out to drastically change the story?

I guess the question is why does Te'o have to prove it at this point? Why do we have to seek any hole we can find?

He's made a statement that he was fooled. The perpetrator says it was a hoax. Friends and family say they have done this to multiple people.

I think many really want a reason to point a finger at him here. He embellished an online relationship. Because of how it ended, and who he is the media picked it up. Maybe I'm not remembering accurately but I never felt he was pushing or exploiting the story when we thought it was true.

Is he 100% blame free? No, but why do we need to hammer him on this, unless something comes out to drastically change the story?

Unbelievable and quite pathetic these people are doing this to a 21 year old kid. I know sjbf will never admit he's wrong when it comes to football, but this isn't about football, its about this guys future. What a p#ss poor showing by him and orhers.

Teo was the target of a very elaborate hoax. Introduced by a family friend, even his cousin told him lennay was real. He was provided with pictures , a female spoke to him on the phone. I can't imagine NOT falling for that for some period of time.

2 other people have come forward to say renaiah pulled this crap on them too, including miss Hawaii. Are they in on it too covering for teo ? With everything that's come out to believe teo was "in on it" approaches the degree of paranoia to conclude bush was "in on 9/11".

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Unbelievable and quite pathetic these people are doing this to a 21 year old kid. I know sjbf will never admit he's wrong when it comes to football, but this isn't about football, its about this guys future. What a p#ss poor showing by him and orhers.

Teo was the target of a very elaborate hoax. Introduced by a family friend, even his cousin told him lennay was real. He was provided with pictures , a female spoke to him on the phone. I can't imagine NOT falling for that for some period of time.

2 other people have come forward to say renaiah pulled this crap on them too, including miss Hawaii. Are they in on it too covering for teo ? With everything that's come out to believe teo was "in on it" approaches the degree of paranoia to conclude bush was "in on 9/11".

But isn't that true? :unsure:

BTW, your Man[ti] love is inspirational

I myself am still leaning toward Te'o as victim, even though there are many sketchy details--- clearly, I know what catfishing is and belive completely in the plausibility of this scenario. But I am curious why you're taking such a strong "nothing to see here folks, move along" stance, especially considering you yourself were in complete agreement with San Jose Bills Fan earlier in the thread--- that the questions he continues to pose needed to be answered for Te'o to be cleared, ie, phone records, proof flowers were sent, etc? Obviously, none of those questions were even asked by any of the investigators, which included the very media that slipped up in the first place.

I don't want to attack the guy at all, but very little has changed in regards to "proof" Manti was not complicit at least on some level. Continuing skepticism does not need to equate to attacks on Manti Te'o.

I myself am still leaning toward Te'o as victim, even though there are many sketchy details--- clearly, I know what catfishing is and belive completely in the plausibility of this scenario. But I am curious why you're taking such a strong "nothing to see here folks, move along" stance, especially considering you yourself were in complete agreement with San Jose Bills Fan earlier in the thread--- that the questions he continues to pose needed to be answered for Te'o to be cleared, ie, phone records, proof flowers were sent, etc? Obviously, none of those questions were even asked by any of the investigators, which included the very media that slipped up in the first place.

I don't want to attack the guy at all, but very little has changed in regards to "proof" Manti was not complicit at least on some level. Continuing skepticism does not need to equate to attacks on Manti Te'o.

What changed from up thread on Wednesday? A large volume of people agreeing on the story on both sides. This isn't just a spokesman saying "wasn't manti" it's manti giving a loooooong interview that fits the psychology of these events to the point you could call it textbook. It's the hoaxer coming out and detailing that they did use multiple people to pull it off. It's friends and family saying that they did this to others. Other victims coming out. It's the fake address for the flowers being released and fitting the story. Unless something comes up saying otherwise im becoming quite comfortable accepting the broad strokes of this.

At some point, as casual fans with nothing invested in this story, don't you have to question why that isn't enough for you yet? What does "manti was complicit at some level" even mean?

There will certainly be a lot of people continuing to look into this - journalists, nfl teams - and until they tell me otherwise I have no problem saying "yup, weird story but happens to a lot of kids." If we were given the same look inside the relationships of the other top 50 prospects I'd imagine we would find a lot more to be outraged about than someone identifying manti having a desire to help, someone using it to exploit him and him being embarassed to tell people about what was going on. I promise men will be picked in the first round that have hit women, likely date rape perpetrators, womanizers, emotionally abusive guys, so yes I'm apt to say that I'm ok letting this rest for now - unless the people paid to investigate find something major contrary to that. It's possible but it's becoming unlikely in my opinion based on everything at the start of this post.

Edited by NoSaint

What changed from up thread on Wednesday? A large volume of people agreeing on the story on both sides. This isn't just a spokesman saying "wasn't manti" it's manti giving a loooooong interview that fits the psychology of these events to the point you could call it textbook. It's the hoaxer coming out and detailing that they did use multiple people to pull it off. It's friends and family saying that they did this to others. Other victims coming out. It's the fake address for the flowers being released and fitting the story. Unless something comes up saying otherwise im becoming quite comfortable accepting the broad strokes of this.

At some point, as casual fans with nothing invested in this story, don't you have to question why that isn't enough for you yet? What does "manti was complicit at some level" even mean?

There will certainly be a lot of people continuing to look into this - journalists, nfl teams - and until they tell me otherwise I have no problem saying "yup, weird story but happens to a lot of kids." If we were given the same look inside the relationships of the other top 50 prospects I'd imagine we would find a lot more to be outraged about than someone identifying manti having a desire to help, someone using it to exploit him and him being embarassed to tell people about what was going on. I promise men will be picked in the first round that have hit women, likely date rape perpetrators, womanizers, emotionally abusive guys, so yes I'm apt to say that I'm ok letting this rest for now - unless the people paid to investigate find something major contrary to that. It's possible but it's becoming unlikely in my opinion based on everything at the start of this post.

Great post!

End thread on that one mods!

This story is far from dead. It could easily be put to rest if Ronaiah would come forward and give his side of the story. Until then we're only reading one. This "friend" who supposedly was told by Ronaiah that it was all a hoax actually told Deadspin that he, this "friend" thought that T'eo was in on it. So, this is far from over, especially with ND's pseudo-investigation.

You suggested that Notre Dame would likely not stage a press conference defending Te'o if their investigation(s) did not obtain hard evidence, such as specifics regarding receipts for the flowers and Manti's phone records. This has proven to not be the case. Their investigation was farcical at best. Yet you are now convinced. I was only asking why. "Complicit on some level" is rather obvious: at what point did he believe the lie and to what extent did he embellish the relationship. I know he acknowledged embellishment, but the Jim Rome interview is extraordinarily unsettling, for example, if he did not have those phone conversations. Obviously, as you say, the psychology typical of a catfishing victim could cause him to build these things up in his mind. Perhaps that is the final verdict, after all.

I have nothing at stake, in fact I was clearly very ready to believe him as I understand the plausibility of his stated case. Your first paragraph is exactly the type of "proof" you suggested earlier in the thread would be insufficient. The hoaxer has not actually come forward yet. The apologetic tweet is suspect at best, although it could prove to be legitimate. I guess as a casual fan, I'd ask why you're in such a rush to declare his innocence with no actual evidence, aside from hearsay.

Honestly, I'm fatigued by this whole story. Perhaps it is best to not go further down the rabbit hole.

Edited by Punch

If you think about it, we are putting more shame on player who got scammed then Players who have did Drugs & Raped & Murdered Others, maybe we should take a look at our morals

I don't think people are putting shame on T'eo. It's just that this story satisfies our morbid curiosity. And it would satisfy it even more if he was in on it. It's better than a 48 Hours Mystery. Sure, it at the expense of a real person, but we're only human.

And do we really want him to have been a victim of such a scheme? Maybe I'm weak, but if it was me who got duped in such a manner, my life would be in shambles right now. Having to go through the pain of having a loved one die (actually 2), then only to find out it was all fake much later? I would probably become royally pissed at the end stage, but at first I would probably be a mess.