Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

What do you make of this quote from an ESPN article? This guy from the Cardinals is either lying to protect him or he's nuts, too.

Things just get curiouser and curiouser.

http://espn.go.com/c...apparently-hoax

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers starTroy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011. "This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa." Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp. "She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... " He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said "No, she is real."

Well this dude is obviously under the impression that she is dead right? He talks about her in the past tense. But the supposed girl called Te'o to tell her that she wasn't dead (or even real?). This is so bizarre.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF TRUE - no NFL team is going to touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. Faking a girlfriend and then killing her off with cancer ranks right up there with serious attrocities of man. It speaks clearly to a person's character and the outrage this is going to cause for people isn't going to be worth the grief for a player that came off a horrendous BCS game.

IF TRUE - this guy has made himself a street free agent and the future star of an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

Really? Are you familiar with any "serious atrocities of man"? I mean...any?

If the Bills ever drafted the player that the majority of mock drafts pegged for them you'd have typed this masterful pretzel logic wearing a Haloti Ngata or Brian Orakpo jersey.

What you said there actually makes me more worried. You're right that the Bills were interested in Ngata and Orakpo. This was reported in many mock drafts. But it is also known that the last regime placed high importance on character. Both Ngata and Orakpo had character questions. Both turned out to be false alarms but at least the Bills stuck to principle. Is this new group not even investigating character at all?

As the story develops it seems plausible that Te'o could have been duped or that he was in on it. Either way those are not traits you want for a team leader. If he was duped by a fake girl and some dude I feel bad for him but it sure will be easy for Tom Brady to fool him on Sunday. No thanks.

I hope the luck the Bills had in this being discovered BEFORE the draft indicates our luck has changed.

Really? Are you familiar with any "serious atrocities of man"? I mean...any?

lol....I thought that line..."Faking a girlfriend and then killing her off with cancer ranks right up there with serious attrocities of man."....was ironic humour until he went on with the rest of his post.

Killing anybody....even your fake girlfriend has to be seriously atrocious yes? B-)

What you said there actually makes me more worried. You're right that the Bills were interested in Ngata and Orakpo. This was reported in many mock drafts. But it is also known that the last regime placed high importance on character. Both Ngata and Orakpo had character questions. Both turned out to be false alarms but at least the Bills stuck to principle. Is this new group not even investigating character at all?

As the story develops it seems plausible that Te'o could have been duped or that he was in on it. Either way those are not traits you want for a team leader. If he was duped by a fake girl and some dude I feel bad for him but it sure will be easy for Tom Brady to fool him on Sunday. No thanks.

I hope the luck the Bills had in this being discovered BEFORE the draft indicates our luck has changed.

Crayonz?

What you said there actually makes me more worried. You're right that the Bills were interested in Ngata and Orakpo. This was reported in many mock drafts.

Mock drafts are not "reports" of team's interest, as has been said several times. They are educated guesses made by commentators with little concrete evidence.

Dude - mock drafts are not based on team officials telling Kiper who they are going to draft. Not sure how we can make this any clearer for you. Your entire worry is based on an erroneous assumption.

What is the 'new'? It's just the school saying they knew about it beforehand and didn't tell the police about a crime and left it to Te'o to 'reveal' it which he didn't.

That investigators dug into it and are backing teo in that he was hoaxed and that they found evidence of said hoax which appears in a report I imagine will soon be released in some form? That was allll missing from deadspins report. Those are big details.

That investigators dug into it and are backing teo in that he was hoaxed and that they found evidence of said hoax which appears in a report I imagine will soon be released in some form? That was allll missing from deadspins report. Those are big details.

What investigators would those be?

I believe him.

He had a real online relationship with someone whom he thought was genuine. Fake photos, twitter accounts, elaborate back stories and an unsuspecting victim are all plausible to me.

Sad. This guy feels like a dupe and has people laughing at him for the rest of his life because some jerk is getting off on screwing with him.

I will take him at his word, the University's word and the knowledge that this type of online identity creation is not rare. Also, there is no motive for Teo.

As for the motive of the other individual/s involved who knows. I don't get why people hack computers and launch viruses either.

If something else comes out that incriminates Manti then I guess I will be wrong.

Dude - mock drafts are not based on team officials telling Kiper who they are going to draft. Not sure how we can make this any clearer for you. Your entire worry is based on an erroneous assumption.

Ironically his erroneous assumption has highlighted the concept that the term "reach" should never be applied to any teams draft unless one knows what was on their big board.

I think what he meant was that none of this is really new info if you watched the ND press conference.