Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

Honestly, this guy is probably the best option over drafting someone in the first or second round of the draft. And please don't tell me Geno Smith has more "upside" than Flynn. Please save it. Because I don't wanna hear it. Lol.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things about the possibility of trading for Flynn that seem to be obstacles: For one, the Bills cannot give up much out of this year's draft. If the Bills wanted to use Flynn as a starter, then giving up a 4th or 5th this year would seem reasonable, but would Seattle accept that?

And two - his cap hit would be what? 7 and a half million per year? I don't think Buffalo could afford that this year and next, when added to Fitz's hit - I mean, they could afford it, but it would, I believe, max out their space.

I just don't think Buffalo is better off - and I can't see the Bills thinking so, either - using up their remaining cap space on a QB who got beat out by a 2012 3rd round pick, when we could otherwise use our remaining cap space to get a few more contributors, and then go ahead and get a rookie QB this year, and only have to pay him maybe 20 percent of what we'd have to pay Flynn. I look at the top 5 or 6 QB's in this draft and they appear just as promising as Flynn, otherwise, if he were so much better, that would make him what - a first rounder this year? I don't buy it. I think his cap number alone makes it unrealistic.

Honestly, this guy is probably the best option over drafting someone in the first or second round of the draft. And please don't tell me Geno Smith has more "upside" than Flynn. Please save it. Because I don't wanna hear it. Lol.

Why?

There is no harm in this.

There's no harm in trading a draft pick for an unproven quarterback with a big contract?

I have to disagree Cat.

We're gonna draft a rookie this year and he'll probably start at some point this year.

If the rookie QB sucks, we'll suck and will pick high again next year.

Why would we trade for Flynn after we just cut Fitz?

Why?

Many people are predicting Smith to be a bust in the NFL. Too slow at decision making and even with a perfect pocket misses wide open receivers. Those two flaws in his game will spell doom at the next level.

Flynn is a huge upgrade over the QBs we have and is way more accurate and consistent than Fitz. With the weak rookie class we would do well to trade for him and still take one the good QBs next year.

Huge Cap hit for Flynn, plus Fitz' $10m cap hit, thats almost $20m in cap space chewed up by QBs and the draft hasn't even happened yet. For $20m i want peyton manning walking through the door

Many people are predicting Smith to be a bust in the NFL. Too slow at decision making and even with a perfect pocket misses wide open receivers. Those two flaws in his game will spell doom at the next level.

Geno Smith No. No QB in Round 1 please.. there is no savior QB in this draft. give it up. please.

According to this Jason LaConfora Post...Jags and Raiders the other two teams in the mix...

http://www.nfl.com/n...-of-three-teams

would be intersted depending on the price tage Seattle wants...I am assuming it shouldn't be much considering he is a huge cap hit for a backup to them and they really need to free up that cap room...Seattle is not realy in a good position to drive a hard bargain here...

Edited by matter2003

Flynn is a huge upgrade over the QBs we have and is way more accurate and consistent than Fitz. With the weak rookie class we would do well to trade for him and still take one the good QBs next year.

I don't know how any one feels they know anything about Flynn. Go back and watch his Monday night game vs pats. If you squint and imagine green jerseys are blue, he is exactly the guy buffalo released. Right down to the spread o, short throws, margainal accuracy with exactly 1 great throw all game and several lousy ones. It certainly isnt evedence of a huge upgrade.

Flynn was beat out by an unknown late round pick (for QB) rookie in preseason despite a big contract. The money plays rule was broken RW was so much better. That is certainly food for thought.

To me there is just as much or maybe more risk in Flynn than drafting a rookie because he's failed to prove he's a starting NFL QB in 5 years and as others aptly pointed out he's much more expensive.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Yay!!! Let's give up picks for another team's trash. It's the Bills' way. Flynn has not proven he will be even better than Fitz. Obviously if the Bills got him, I'd support him 100%. But I'm so sick of settling. Alex Smith, Matt Flynn, Mike Vick, etc. are the definition of settling. Just draft a young guy for once and play him.

I couldn't agree more. It would just be more of the same from this franchise. Rather than try to develop their own QB, this team seems obsessed with going for the quick fix, as you say, settling for someone that couldn't start somewhere else for whatever reason, and it never works. You'd think they'd learn eventually. Nope.

Actually, the Seahawks are in a good position to drive a hard bargain. They are paying him $5 million as a backup and paying Russ Wilson $550,000 as a second year third round pick....so they are averaging about $2,75 mill per QB. I'd say they are in good shape. They'll get a good deal on him.

Seattle is in a great place to drive a hard bargin. The no-QB teams are increasingly desperate and there are several of them inquiring about one player.

I'm concerned about the picks Buffalo would have to give up.

As long as they don't give up too many draft picks, I'd take it. I know he could be the next coming of Rob Johnson (what was it...2 good games he had in Green Bay and he's suddenly a hot commodity?), but I'm willing to take a chance. Free agent WRs aren't looking here because we don't have a QB. Get him now and maybe there's a chance we could land someone decent opposite Stevie.

We'd still have to draft a QB, but it wouldn't have to be as high of a priority and could steal one in the later rounds...Tuel, Nassib, Glennon, Bray, etc.

Geno Smith No. No QB in Round 1 please.. there is no savior QB in this draft. give it up. please.

You draft gurus dropping the cold hard facts ? Love the (informed??) geno bashing but let's face facts Matt Flynns a 7th rounder like Fitz where Genos a top 10 pick with a 96 td 21 int career brewing til this point in time. The kid is as good as a prospect can be but some here can just overlook all of his positive attributes for some reason.

Let's wait til next year to draft a qb is dumb IMO as everyone here is just guessing. My guess is genos the best bet here, it's not hard to look at recent history and the higher success rate of young drafted qb's. 7th round Flynn is better then geno. come on man ! Is that you buddy nix ?

Ryan l Billz says enough with the retreads look around the league gentlemen, it's time to get that qb and Geno is 3x better than another qb in this draft IMO. IMO's are needed to be added to these posts I'm responding to as well IMO.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Haha, what makes Flynn so good? His 1 or 2 decent games with a loaded Packers team ( Rob Johnson, Kolb, and many other nobodies have done this)? His 7th round draft selection? His mediocre at best play in college? His being beat out by a rookie 3rd rounder despite being traded for and signed to a big contract?

I'm not against picking up Flynn at all, but he's as much of a crap shoot as anyone else we may pick up this year. The Seahawks may very well cut him if they don't get more interest in him, or at least sell him cheap. Personally I don't think the Bills will trade much for him, nor do I think he's worth it. But if they cut him, or start getting desperate and offer him for cheap then they might go for it.

Just saw this a few minutes ago for what it's worth, http://espn.go.com/b...d-in-matt-flynn

Edited by Turbosrrgood