Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

Nothing in the NFL is ever guaranteed, wtf kind of question is that?

It is a legitimate question. Have you seen anything from Flynn to suggest he is not just another back up who looked good in one game? He got beat out by a rookie after signing a 26 million dollar contract. Granted Wilson was good this year. I do not think it was even close coming out of training camp who would be better.

Pass on Flynn. Let the Seahawks cut him. Invite him than to camp too compete. But a trade is an act of desperation. No thanks!

And yes there are guarantees in the NFL, do not be so juvenile.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my hope the Bills can find a team to switch picks with in the 20-29 pick range that's willing to give up their 2014 first round pick (target Minter LB, Jones C, Olgetree LB, Austin WB). The reason being is that I want the Bills to use their 2nd round pick this year on EJ Manuel then also have some serious "insurance" ammunition to move up for a franchise QB in the 2014 draft (that is of course if EJ Manuel doesn't look like the real deal by seasons end).

You might want to spell out this scenario a little bit better.

I think that trading back THAT far would be worth MUCH more than a 1st in 2014.

I wouldn't want to trade *much* for Flynn. He hasn't proven anything yet, except that he had a good game at an opportune time. Same could be said for Frank Reich way-back-when, but teams weren't lining up to trade for him.

Exactly. Please don't make another Rob Johnson deal based on limited success.

It's my hope the Bills can find a team to switch picks with in the 20-29 pick range that's willing to give up their 2014 first round pick (target Minter LB, Jones C, Olgetree LB, Austin WB). The reason being is that I want the Bills to use their 2nd round pick this year on EJ Manuel then also have some serious "insurance" ammunition to move up for a franchise QB in the 2014 draft (that is of course if EJ Manuel doesn't look like the real deal by seasons end).

I love this idea, with the exception of the EJ Manuel part. I think he's a poor man's McNabb. Wouldn't mind him in the 4th or 5th, but I'd hope we had a QB by then.

Could pay dividends. We'd still have our pick of a highly talented guy & go into next year w/ 2 firsts. That's a lot of leverage.

We're at #8 in what's looking like a substandard draft class so far. If we could get another quality pick, then that'd of course would be a great scenario for the Bills. One thing that the Bills said they want to do is work the "moneyball" angle. Moving back in the draft for picks could fit into the new kind of approach.

We're at #8 in what's looking like a substandard draft class so far. If we could get another quality pick, then that'd of course would be a great scenario for the Bills. One thing that the Bills said they want to do is work the "moneyball" angle. Moving back in the draft for picks could fit into the new kind of approach.

Uh, what? They have?

They said they want to implement an analytics department. Not the same thing. Jesus, people misinterpret or read whatever they want into what is said.

Now, a "Moneyball" approach, as misunderstood as it is, would value additional picks as a way to build a team, but in baseball it is a far different animal, where at least initially the MO was to draft lower-ceiling, closer-to-MLB-ready prospects viewed as surer things and slightly undervalued. They would also be guaranteed signs. There are no minor leagues in football, though an equivalent might be to shy away from draft one-year-wonders or underclassmen. I think that's already the way a number of teams operate, and I think it has little to do with moneyball.

I only want a true FA qb. I would not give up any picks for Smith or Flynn. If we really had to have one I say no more than a 4th rounder.

I agree. I don't know that there's reason to believe Flynn is significantly better than Matt Moore, and Moore can probably be had for the same price without costing a pick, if they decide to go that route.

Here is another question which will get criticized i am sure,

From the same season 2011, Fitz had about 4 good to great games. Flynn had 1. So why would you trade for Flynn?

The Bills signed Fitz as a FA. If you really want Flynn, do that. I doubt highly anyone is trading for him. make him your first FA signing like you did when you signed Fitz. With the understanding he is going to be given a 'shot' at QB. But you still need to draft a guy in the first 3 rounds at qb.

Give Flynn a base contract w incentives for playing time, wins, td, int, etc...

The league and everyone knows the Bills want to win. IF Flynn turns out to be the best guy on the team he will start. I mean the Bills have the longest playoff drought in the league. We are turning into laughing stocks(if not there already). I do believe Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone want to show they can right the ship. An agent would know this too.

We're at #8 in what's looking like a substandard draft class so far. If we could get another quality pick, then that'd of course would be a great scenario for the Bills.

I hear ya, and I could probably talked into a move such as this. But going from 8 to 29 is obviously a HUGE drop. I don't think that I would do it without more compensation than a 1st in 2014, but this is jmo.

And btw, I am not so sure how weak this draft is other than the qb position, or so they say. There seems to be a glut of blockers and defensive linemen. Some of them are VERY good. Jones, Warmack, and Fluker are flat out great. Seriously, have you seen these guys? And this is just from one (albeit great) school!!!

In any event, your idea is one that I find interesting, if of course the Bills have a qb that they think will last until later on.

I hear ya, and I could probably talked into a move such as this. But going from 8 to 29 is obviously a HUGE drop. I don't think that I would do it without more compensation than a 1st in 2014, but this is jmo.

And btw, I am not so sure how weak this draft is other than the qb position, or so they say. There seems to be a glut of blockers and defensive linemen. Some of them are VERY good. Jones, Warmack, and Fluker are flat out great. Seriously, have you seen these guys? And this is just from one (albeit great) school!!!

In any event, your idea is one that I find interesting, if of course the Bills have a qb that they think will last until later on.

I agree with you here, which is part of why I'd take the deal. You pick up an extra first without giving away any picks, just moving down 20 slots, which is likely to still get you a top player like a Fluker (who I would be very happy with, add some sheer brute strength to the Oline). Then next year having 2 #1s could give us to ammo to catapult into a position to take Johnny Manzelli.

• 2 months later...

No thanks. We cannot lose any more draft picks; we're short handed as it is. Enough of trying to pick thru other team's scraps at the QB position! We need to draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd round and be done with it.

No thanks. We cannot lose any more draft picks; we're short handed as it is. Enough of trying to pick thru other team's scraps at the QB position! We need to draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd round and be done with it.

I'm not a huge Flynn fan either, but this team needs to acquire two qbs. What if they can get Flynn for a fourth rounder or lower and still draft a Qb with their first or second pick ?

Thigpen as a possible replacement for Flynn in Seattle if he is traded?

I'm not a huge Flynn fan either, but this team needs to acquire two qbs. What if they can get Flynn for a fourth rounder or lower and still draft a Qb with their first or second pick ?

Or a 2014 4th or 5th rounder.

Plus Flynn has shown a little ability at the NFL Level a 5th Round QB might be too much of a project.

Or a 2014 4th or 5th rounder.

I might consider a 4th or 5th this year. Let him play. If he fails, we are ready to draft next year, and Flynn can remain as a backup. This allows us to use the first 3-4 rounds on other areas this year.

I can't get on board of this team moving any of this year's draft picks. Maybe if they could get him for a 2014 5th round pick.

I definitely agree that we need to acquire 2 more QB's and Flynn might be worth a look but not at the cost of one of our 6 picks this year.