Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu - CB - LSU

dbflaBill

Chris Carter admitted his problem after he was kicked off his team for harder drugs. He turned out OK.

Mathieu lost football for weed. Now he gave up weed for football. You want to say no thanks...I get why and I can't blame you. But someone is going to get a football player on the cheap.

All I said was admitting to it is hardly an accomplishment when you've been kicked off the team and have PIs searching your history. If your going to praise him, pick more praiseworthy things than that.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I said was admitting to it is hardly an accomplishment when you've been kicked off the team and have PIs searching your history. If your going to praise him, pick more praiseworthy things than that.

Ok. He's a ball hawking, fumble causing, hard tackling football player.

Long article on Mathieu in current issue ESPN magazine. His agent moved him to a apt in Florida to stay away from friends and work out. He said he's been weed free for 3 months and will stay that way. He might be worth risking a 4th rd pick. Very postive write up.

Walter football projects 3-4 rd pick http://walterfootball.com/draft2013CB.php

Edited by independent

There was this from Greg Howard not long ago on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/how-marshall-henderson-gets-away-with-being-marshall-he-458598247

I don't usually put much weight behind racially pointed opinion pieces (seeing it where there is none), but I thought this was an interesting comparison of what this a**hole kid from "Ol Miss" had done in his unremarkable career (and the free ride he got) compared to Honey Badger's apocolyptic weed problem.

Henderson was busted for bying 50 grams of weed with $800 of counterfeit money (and tried to exchange another 100 in fake bills for real ones), served a suspension for sucker punching another player, and serving 25 days in jail for violating the terms of his parole by testing positive for weed, coke and alcohol! The best part is that the coach of his 3rd Div 1 team (Miss) had just fired 2 black kids (including his top scorer) for getting busted for possession of pot paraphernalia. Months later, when Henderson tested positive..and went to jail, Ol Miss kept him on the team.

Yet here's poor dumb ol Honey Badger doing his shame tour--apologizing to everyone under the sun, going to some goofy weed rehab and begging to be drafted.

I probably don't have to point out that Honey B is a far better football player than Henderson is a basketball player. Or that Henderson is white.

Long article on Mathieu in current issue ESPN magazine. His agent moved him to a apt in Florida to stay away from friends and work out. He said he's been weed free for 3 months and will stay that way. He might be worth risking a 4th rd pick. Very postive write up.

Walter football projects 3-4 rd pick http://walterfootbal...draft2013CB.php

IMO, someone grabs him in the 2nd, probably TB, or Jets!

Interesting piece on synthetic marijuana at auburn during the NC season on espn right now.... Relevant as honey badger was allegedly dealing with the same issues discussed.

Takeaway: auburn player tested positive 7 straight times before suspension because though tested for auburn hadn't yet added it to the banned substance list. Also discussing issues with the compounds changing faster than rules/tests keep up with... And of course coaches preferring not to know in the first place

Edited by NoSaint

I am still a definite NO on this kid. i was before and nothing has changed my mind.

But i will be interested to watch his first season if he is drafted. Not for any malicious reasons. I hope he gets it together as i would anyone who needs counseling

Edited by 3rdand12

Sirius NFL reported he tweeted about a Thursday night draft party. Is he nuts? Everything he did to rehabilitate himself just went out the window.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162915/article/honey-badger-tyrann-mathieu-backpedals-on-party-poster

The part that will especially hurt - HE GOT IN TROUBLE AT LSU FOR PARTY POSTERS. You've got to learn from your mistakes and he's getting another strike against that.

Being a bills fan living in Louisiana, 30 mins from Baton Rogue, i'd be super happy if we drafted him..he failed a few drug tests 1st for weed, then synthetic weed (i cant remember..lol), I never watched college football till i lived in Louisiana and just the energy he would bring to the games was crazy. I would watch the games just to see him play!

Sirius NFL reported he tweeted about a Thursday night draft party. Is he nuts? Everything he did to rehabilitate himself just went out the window.

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-party-poster

In the last week:

1) Mathieu planned to have this Thursday Night Draft Party in spite of the likelihood that he won't be drafted on Thursday night.

And of course the advertisements for the party billed him as First Round draft pick Tyrann Mathieu aka "Honey Badger", a name he's been saying in interviews that he's disassociating himself from. Also as your link states, while he supposedly didn't design the invitations, he apparently sent them out. Apparently he has now come to his senses and canceled the party.

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2013/04/24/tyrann-mathieu-cancels-his-first-round-draft-pick-celebration/

2) An unnamed veteran player met Mathieu on one of his team visits and told a source that he didn't like Mathieu's attitude and the fact that Tyrann only talked about making lots of money but never talked about becoming a great football player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/mathieu-makes-bad-impression-on-current-player-with-history-of-off-field-issues/

3) Canceled two team visits because he was sick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/mathieu-missed-two-visits-last-week-due-to-illness/

Separately no big deal.

All three in one week?

SJBF - I still think he has midround value but..... It all seems to add up to a certain sense of comfort and "I have arrived" attitude that you don't like to see in a typical recovering addict, don't you think? It also seems a bit like he's starting to get people without his best interest around him, if he thinks having a party yet alone tweeting the party is smart (regardless of round he projects)

I suspect that money doesn't go into retirement plans, how about you?

I heard an interview with him and he sounded sincere and genuine so I was predisposed to pulling for the guy.

But this last week has been a train wreck and I definitely worry that he's still very much a work in progress with a moderate to high risk factor.

I guess I'd take him in the 4th depending on who else was still there.

But I was very disappointed with this week's trifecta.

Why do people think there aren't enough good football players who don't get in trouble? Why do they want to settle for idiots? I'm very liberal on the green stuff but he is a flat out moron. I won't touch him. Do people think he will become a better person with money?

I never root for anyone to fail. But if I was investing my money into a player, he'd be the last guy I'd pay from this draft.

So who wants to research: gruden and honey badger.... Same agent? Same pr team? He was drooling on him by 20. Too much to just like the player and seemed waaaay too opposed to even the idea of anyone mentioning the baggage.