Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu - CB - LSU

dbflaBill

slight brake tap on some of the sentiment:

when asked about the saints hes said on more than one occasion, somewhat laughingly, that they would have to sit down together figure out a plan to keep him out of trouble. not that he wouldnt want to.

and from everything i hear, "hes not a bad kid" is a borderline assessment at best. based on the company he kept in this city, he was far, FAR, from a good one. theres a reason that people keep saying he needs to stay out of new orleans and its not because weed is that much harder to find in buffalo.

third - at this point id pretty well hope someone would be able to reach him to atleast get him to TRY to say the right things with millions on the line. whether hes serious in its long term and able to execute the plan is a whole different story, which i wont claim to say hes not but i also am not going to laud him too much for not being arrested for approximately 6 months and attempting not to sound like an idiot at this juncture.

I saw him on the morning show and he said he did not feel NO was a good idea. Pretty straightforward. Wasn't putting the team down, just referencing his issues.

Don't know if ours is the best lockerroom in terms of veteran leadership and support, but it wouldn't be the worst either.

If he is there in the third I would not be in the least upset, depending on how else the draft went for us to that point and who all was left on the board.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw him on the morning show and he said he did not feel NO was a good idea. Pretty straightforward. Wasn't putting the team down, just referencing his issues.

Don't know if ours is the best lockerroom in terms of veteran leadership and support, but it wouldn't be the worst either.

If he is there in the third I would not be in the least upset, depending on how else the draft went for us to that point and who all was left on the board.

hes pretty well said new orleans would be a challenge but theyd make it work consistently in every interview i have seen. you may have caught a quote slightly off that, but generally speaking (and i get these updates pretty well daily being in new orleans, given the saints need for corners, love of lsu, and local medias coverage).... hed come to new orleans. its by no means like he has asked them to avoid him or anything of the sort.

and again, the fact that teams and the media think he needs to avoid the entire city to some degree reinforces the fact that this is more than honey badger likes to recreationally smoke.

I'd be happy to have him...in the 4th round. Will never happen, so I won't get upset about it.

thats about where id start considering too. we will see.

i dont doubt that he will have some espn highlights, but i do seriously doubt that hes the type of guy you build a defense around.

hes pretty well said new orleans would be a challenge but theyd make it work consistently in every interview i have seen. you may have caught a quote slightly off that, but generally speaking (and i get these updates pretty well daily being in new orleans, given the saints need for corners, love of lsu, and local medias coverage).... hed come to new orleans. its by no means like he has asked them to avoid him or anything of the sort.

and again, the fact that teams and the media think he needs to avoid the entire city to some degree reinforces the fact that this is more than honey badger likes to recreationally smoke.

Well actually he said NO might not be a good place for him, not the folks who were asking the questions. Oh and by the way, he also said that he does not want to be called Honey Badger anymore.

thats about where id start considering too. we will see.

i dont doubt that he will have some espn highlights, but i do seriously doubt that hes the type of guy you build a defense around.

Don't know what happened to my post.

I said that he mentioned that NO might not be a good place for him, not the folks who were asking the questions.

BTY he also said he didn't want to be called Honey Badger anymore.

I understand, completely, bad influences, and wanting to stay away from potential trouble. I think it's essential for a kid like Honey Badger. That said, if you're going to grow up and be a man, and if you are sober and straight, and want to have a long successful career in the NFL, if you have to stay away from an entire city just because you have a bunch of lousy college friends and hangers-on, I'm not sure you have the necessary mettle to not be stupid.

That, combined with his height, being out of football for a year, and all the holes the Bills have, make me not really want to touch him before the fourth round. And I'm usually all about giving these guys second chances.

I understand, completely, bad influences, and wanting to stay away from potential trouble. I think it's essential for a kid like Honey Badger. That said, if you're going to grow up and be a man, and if you are sober and straight, and want to have a long successful career in the NFL, if you have to stay away from an entire city just because you have a bunch of lousy college friends and hangers-on, I'm not sure you have the necessary mettle to not be stupid.

That, combined with his height, being out of football for a year, and all the holes the Bills have, make me not really want to touch him before the fourth round. And I'm usually all about giving these guys second chances.

and again, ill say i think some of the new orleans stuff is more than just hangar ons, on lousy college friends and dropping the weed.

think about the city, especially as a kid growing up in some of the less.... well respected... areas... and the type of people that they are talking about him separating from. this discussion often devolves into his advocates acting like he just needs to stop playing madden with his stoner friends in the dorm room. in reality hes got a lot more of the Kenny Britt shouldnt be allowed in the state of new jersey going on here.

and again, ill say i think some of the new orleans stuff is more than just hangar ons, on lousy college friends and dropping the weed.

think about the city, especially as a kid growing up in some of the less.... well respected... areas... and the type of people that they are talking about him separating from. this discussion often devolves into his advocates acting like he just needs to stop playing madden with his stoner friends in the dorm room. in reality hes got a lot more of the Kenny Britt shouldnt be allowed in the state of new jersey going on here.

Thanks for that. You obviously know more about it, and him, than me. It still seems, to me, like a drug addict with, say, cocaine or alcoholic with beer. Sure, you don't want him or her to see the stuff, so they are not tempted. But if just seeing the stuff is enough to get them to start again, they are not anywhere near a place where they can live their lives without it. The test for Honey badger, to me, is to be able to spend time there and know right from wrong.

It's different, i guess, if people are out to intentionally destroy him from some past mistakes.

Thanks for that. You obviously know more about it, and him, than me. It still seems, to me, like a drug addict with, say, cocaine or alcoholic with beer. Sure, you don't want him or her to see the stuff, so they are not tempted. But if just seeing the stuff is enough to get them to start again, they are not anywhere near a place where they can live their lives without it. The test for Honey badger, to me, is to be able to spend time there and know right from wrong.

It's different, i guess, if people are out to intentionally destroy him from some past mistakes.

i agree that just getting away from new orleans wont solve addiction. common mistake among addicts. turns out they tend to find other addicts in other cities. if he cant stay away from weed in new orleans, hes going to have a damn hard time in any major city, and on the road living like an nfl baller.

but i get the strong feeling (and you know im not one to run here on every rumor i hear, but i will voice concern on him still) that some of these guys he needs to separate from are because he will end up like a britt, or pacman, or chris henry, or.... the list goes on.... its not just the weed, its the street lifestyle that will be the biggest thing with him putting geographic space.

even with his arrest this fall - jordan jefferson is a POS that he had no business being around even if you assume tyrann was totally well intentioned. heck, J Jeffersons little brother, a 4 star db at LSU just got formally charged about a week ago for attacking a police officer over mardi gras. friend got arrested and they apparently thought attacking the cop was a viable solution. these are the type of people he needs to avoid.

hopefully he can figure stuff out, because he is talented (although i worry about size), and he seems like a charismatic, young man with a lot of potential.

Edited by NoSaint

Aside from the lack of size and off-field issues (which sound significant), I'd be concerned about the premature end to his college career. Football isn't like basketball, where one-on-one ability can carry you; there is a significant learning curve in college football, making that missed junior year a pretty big hole in his development. Then you factor in he spent that time sitting around getting high with his thug buddies, and he starts to feel like a real longshot to be a success in the NFL.

I'm sure some foolish team like the Raiders will jump all over him in the 3d, but I can't see considering him as anything but a late round flier.

Edited by KD in CT

He'll go in the 2nd, if not late 1st. He's undoubtedly a 1st round talent, just very immature. If you can afford the risk, like many teams drafting late in the round can, he could end up being a steal. Can you just imagine our secondary with him?

i agree that just getting away from new orleans wont solve addiction. common mistake among addicts. turns out they tend to find other addicts in other cities. if he cant stay away from weed in new orleans, hes going to have a damn hard time in any major city, and on the road living like an nfl baller.

Isn't smoking weed a prerequisite for an NFL career though?

I would not be Surprise if the Bills draft him, providing hes available in the 4th/5th rd. Hes not an ideal starting corner, but a perfect nickle corner. he can also replace McKelvin on PR/KR duties. His open field tackling, and his blitzing ability. Not too mention his attitude could bring a big spark to this defence.

Why in the world would the Bills want to replace McKelvin on kick returns???

the honey badger will be a Patriot

was listening to an interview with the honey badger, it was right after the combine. he was talking about answering all tough questions and going into detail about his history. the interviewer asked who or what team asked the most questions.....he answered "a couple of guys from the patriots".

I find it embarrassing that someone can get addicted to weed. Honey Badger doesn't even strike me as the type that would have good bud either. Hopefully he's got his sh-t straight and he can utilize his talent cause the man is gonna have an impact IMO.

He'd get in all kinds of trouble at Applebee's. I pass until the 5th.