Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, this is a sign of how loyal us bills fans are. Only in buffalo will hiring a couple of coaches (after 14 years of nothing) rejuvenate the fan base.

While this no doubt true, I think there is real reason for optimism in this case. Although, our offseason hopes have often turned to frustration once the football starts .... Happy offseason everyone.

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Waiting for confirmation on Chan Gailey's status as head coach. On the phone now with Ralph to get the official word from the guy who runs the #Bills.

:D

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Waiting for confirmation on Chan Gailey's status as head coach. On the phone now with Ralph to get the official word from the guy who runs the #Bills.

:D

PTR

They have lots to talk about ... The roaring 20's, the good old days of pencils, arthritis, gout, etc.

Frankly, this is a sign of how loyal us bills fans are. Only in buffalo will hiring a couple of coaches (after 14 years of nothing) rejuvenate the fan base.

Yeah, only in Buffalo. And Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, KC and SD...

what a jerk, waiting for official confirmation and all.

That's absolutely not what he's doing. He's sanctimoniously playing "dumb" to provoke twitter followers into arguing, which he then turns into a little show. Adults would say "Pettine has reportedly been hired by the Bills", not ask the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot if Marrone is still "in play" for the Browns on Sunday evening when everyone knows the score. There's a reason he's the only reporter asking these "hard" questions, and it's not because he's Edward Murrow trying to get the story right.

Also, I noticed that Marrone hasnt named an assistant HC yet.

Think this title may go to Petine?

CBF

Not all teams have Assistant Head Coaches. We'll see.

Explain how Im supposed to link an opinion.

You couldn't hold The Senator's jock.

http://www.newyorkje...87-20ba4a0b8845

A in-depth interview . Key statement -- "if NFL offenses come to the line and know what the defense is running you are in trouble"

Debate Moderator's Voice: "And debating the contrary viewpoint, Dave Wannstedt."

Not sure if anyone else posted this, and I usually do not put much stock in BleacherReport articles but article below actually has an interesting breakdown of the type of defensive flexibility Pettine has incorporated over the years.

So then you admit it! You read the BleacherReport!

Hey everyone, he reads the BleacherReport!!!

Does he have any more brothers?

This was in reply to a comment about Marcel Dareus.

Was that supposed to be funny?

Regarding the notion that Ryan took away playcalling duties from Pettine, from the 9/6/12 NJ Star-Ledger:

“I think that’s a little overblown, it’s basically what it’s been,” the defensive coordinator said. “Again, it will depend on the opponent, and if it’s in game, sometimes it’s I’ll take first or second down and he’ll take third down.

“It’s really not going to be that different from what we’ve done in the past,” Pettine added.

Very interesting article from the 9/1/11 NY Daily News which details how Ryan, Pettine, and Dennis Thurman devised as a collaboration what became the Jets defense while working together in Baltimore--- interesting quote from Jim Leonhard:

"Rex has an emotional side and sometimes gets a little out of control," safety
says. "Pettine and D.T. are able to kind of balance him out."

Damien Woody has some very positive comments about Pettine in this

Buffalo News Press Coverage blog by Tim Graham from today:

Woody painted an exciting picture for Bills fans. He predicted Pettine will oversee an entertaining defense, with aggressive man-to-man coverage and creative blitz packages similar to the ones that helped the Jets rank first, third, fifth and eighth in yards allowed over the past four seasons.Woody also claimed he might prefer Buffalo's defensive personnel over New York's right now."It's a great hire for Buffalo," Woody said, "because one thing he's going to do is attack the weaknesses of your team.

Edited by Punch

Regarding the notion that Ryan took away playcalling duties from Pettine, from the 9/6/12 NJ Star-Ledger:

“I think that’s a little overblown, it’s basically what it’s been,” the defensive coordinator said. “Again, it will depend on the opponent, and if it’s in game, sometimes it’s I’ll take first or second down and he’ll take third down.

“It’s really not going to be that different from what we’ve done in the past,” Pettine added.

Very interesting article from the 9/1/11 NY Daily News which details how Ryan, Pettine, and Dennis Thurman devised as a collaboration what became the Jets defense while working together in Baltimore--- interesting quote from Jim Leonhard:

"Rex has an emotional side and sometimes gets a little out of control," safety
says. "Pettine and D.T. are able to kind of balance him out."

Damien Woody has some very positive comments about Pettine in this

Buffalo News Press Coverage blog by Tim Graham from today:

Woody painted an exciting picture for Bills fans. He predicted Pettine will oversee an entertaining defense, with aggressive man-to-man coverage and creative blitz packages similar to the ones that helped the Jets rank first, third, fifth and eighth in yards allowed over the past four seasons.Woody also claimed he might prefer Buffalo's defensive personnel over New York's right now."It's a great hire for Buffalo," Woody said, "because one thing he's going to do is attack the weaknesses of your team.

the key word in all of this is "ATTACK" !!......be agressive....get the play over with fast....

Debate Moderator's Voice: "And debating the contrary viewpoint, Dave Wannstedt."

OK, I admit it...I was slumming at the BleacherReport site.

Actually, just trolling for a breakdown of the different defensive allignments used by the Jets. The BleacherReport was just another hit in the search.

That being said, I have to give them some credit for a decent article.

No serious as a heart attack. In my job which pays maybe 1/100 what Marcel's does, I get 3 days off with pay when a member of my immediate family dies. Then back to work. The Marcell apologists here are excusing him for taking a entire season off.

No serious as a heart attack. In my job which pays maybe 1/100 what Marcel's does, I get 3 days off with pay when a member of my immediate family dies. Then back to work. The Marcell apologists here are excusing him for taking a entire season off.

It was a tasteless comment and not remotely funny.

If you wanted to make the point that Dareus had a bad season, there were probably about one million other ways you could have done that without being a lowbrow about it.

It was a tasteless comment and not remotely funny.

If you wanted to make the point that Dareus had a bad season, there were probably about one million other ways you could have done that without being a lowbrow about it.

The not funny thing again. What part about serious as a heart attack don't you get? I simply am tired of reading on here we should give him a "pass" for a entire year because of his brother

The not funny thing again. What part about serious as a heart attack don't you get? I simply am tired of reading on here we should give him a "pass" for a entire year because of his brother

I'm not buying it Jim.

Any response to those people who are apologists for Dareus would have been better than the one that you chose.

I will continue to believe that saying "Does he have any more brothers?" was a failed and tasteless attempt at humor.

I appreciate you answering me and defending yourself.

I for one don't give him a pass because of his brother. In fact I think he figured that he had some success in his rookie season and probably figured he could duplicate it without a lot of offseason work. Some people have said that he has been overweight since training camp (but I can't confirm that). A lot of young players fall into that trap. For sure, however, his family tragedy had to have been a distraction.

I'm not buying it Jim.

Any response to those people who are apologists for Dareus would have been better than the one that you chose.

I will continue to believe that saying "Does he have any more brothers?" was a failed and tasteless attempt at humor.

I appreciate you answering me and defending yourself.

If I was poking fun at anyone it was the posters on here that fall over themselves to make excuses for him, not Marcell.

I didn't mean to dog you, Jim.

I'm a bit angry at the way you chose to express yourself.

Thanks for the consideration of your replies.

Guess we just differ on what a tasteful remark is. When Farve had that big game after his dad died, I wondered aloud if he had any more fathers. No one seemed to mind.

Would be nice if Marcell reacted in Farve's fashion.