Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

I say no thanks - don't need another switch back to the 3-4. I hear that's all he knows how to run. Plus we need a new QB, Fitzpatrick isn't getting it done. What day is it.

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Don't obsess over base scheme.

:wallbash:

Petinnes defenses under Rex Ryan are some of the most complex in football. They combine elements of 34, 43 and 46. Petinne is not married to a specific base scheme like Dave Wannstedt or Lovie Smith.

Awesome

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the tea leaves, Pettine sounds as though he wants to "wait and see" what opportunities open up. I'm very interested to hear how the meeting/interview went today and where he ends up; I don't envision Marrone being the type of guy who will want to wait around.

http://www.phillybur...e724762218.html

http://www.buffaloru...ive-coordinator

Well, we're not the only team that he's talking about, but hopefully we lock him up before the Eagles get their act together.

Gotta think the chance to coach for your hometown team would be nice. But I wonder if he'll wait until the Philly HC situation plays out. It's risky.

I say make him an offer he can't refuse and give him no reason to want to wait. Easier said than done though.

GO BILLS!!!

Gotta think the chance to coach for your hometown team would be nice. But I wonder if he'll wait until the Philly HC situation plays out. It's risky.

I say make him an offer he can't refuse and give him no reason to want to wait. Easier said than done though.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly, if they give him the Assistant HC title and the money with it and he sits on it then I would say look elsewhere because he probably is waiting to see what happens in Philly.

Can't blame the guy, I'd wanna coach for my hometown team also.

Edited by The Wiz

http://www.phillybur...e724762218.html

http://www.buffaloru...ive-coordinator

Well, we're not the only team that he's talking about, but hopefully we lock him up before the Eagles get their act together.

Root for the Eagles to grab Lovie Smith or hope that they're waiting on one of the coordinators that goes to the Super Bowl.

I'm not "feelin it" with Pettine. First clue for me was his comment that he's keeping an eye on his hometown Philly situation. That might be an indicator that he aint "all in". But, at the end of the day, Marrone will gauge that and make the call.

"Mike Pettine is going to have several opportunities,” Ryan said. “He has an interview with the Bills today. Hopefully he doesn’t take that job. We’ve been together over 10 years, he’s been a tremendous coach. He thinks it’s best for him to move on. I wish him all the best unless he goes to Buffalo.”

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/blogs/jetsblog/ryan_was_concerned_that_jets_would_nPwOwE1QERNpxFmqtZcKeN

I would like Pettine because he knows the AFC East very well. It would be nice to win some division games again. Having said that, if he isn't that excited about coming here, then let's move on and get someone who wants to come to Buffalo and believes this team can win.

I'm not "feelin it" with Pettine. First clue for me was his comment that he's keeping an eye on his hometown Philly situation. That might be an indicator that he aint "all in". But, at the end of the day, Marrone will gauge that and make the call.

To be fair Marrone interviewed with other people after meeting us too. Hell it sounds like he walked out an interview with San Diego picked up the phone and told Russ he was in. Why shouldn't Pettine see if someone else calls? He knows what his record is. If the Jets weren't such an offensive mess this year he might be getting calls about being an HC himself, and honestly, maybe that's what he's talking about in Philly.

im not saying I want him or I dont, but I dont fault the guy for waiting a couple days before making a huge decision....

your scenario: you just get let go from your job, you have several interviews immediately lined up, all high paying jobs, and one potentially being your "dream job" - would YOU say yes to the first job offer (if there was even a job offer right after the first interview)? or would you go to all of the interviews, see which job fit you best, especially if one is your dream job? come on, give the guy a break haha

im not saying I want him or I dont, but I dont fault the guy for waiting a couple days before making a huge decision....

your scenario: you just get let go from your job, you have several interviews immediately lined up, all high paying jobs, and one potentially being your "dream job" - would YOU say yes to the first job offer (if there was even a job offer right after the first interview)? or would you go to all of the interviews, see which job fit you best, especially if one is your dream job? come on, give the guy a break haha

Pettine strikes me as a good DC candidate. He disguises his defenses well and blitzes...two things that we didn't see last year. AT ALL.

And for the umpteenth time, a 1-gap 3-4 is essentially the same as a base 4-3 except the end/LB stands up on one end to rush the passer instead of being in a 4-point stance.

I get that. But, if you're exploring options you don't say that **** publically. It's ok to share that with the team reps you interview within the confines of 4 walls and a doorknob, but I think saying it pubically is poor judgement. And, being with Ryan, he's lived with a lot of bad judgement from his head coach... both actions and with his mouth. Hopefully Pettine learned how not to behave.

they didnt have much in the way of pass rushers with pace and maybin... so ill give some leeway there.

Coples had 5.5 sacks as a rookie. That's not bad.

And as you know, Maybin was cut early on.

The truth is, unless you have a truly dominant pass rusher of which there's only maybe 8-10 in the entire NFL, you're gonna need to have about 3 guys who can rush the passer in order to really have a consistently good pass rush.

It's not viewed as a major need for the Bills but I've always said that you can't pass up a great pass rusher in the draft.

Sacks are a huge factor in negating great quarterbacks. The Bills won't stop Brady until they can build a truly fearsome pass rush. They don't have a fearsome pass rush right now because they don't really have the critical mass of talent needed.

The Jets don't bring a lot of overload blitzes, despite what it looks like to the casual eye (and to the opposing linemen and quarterback). Quite to the contrary - they usually rush just four, or sometimes five (and often only two or three), but are experts at disguising which players are rushing. This causes confusion on the part of the opposing offense, and often times the Jets get to the QB while bringing only four or fewer rushers.

In my view this is the way to attack the modern NFL offense. You have more rookie QBs starting these days, and much less depth overall meaning that as the season wears on you are bound to have offensive linemen go down and be replaced by inexperienced subs. At the same time, teams are passing more. So if you can pressure the ball, and pressure the passing game in particular, you can create real havoc as the season wears on.

As opposed to the Cover-2, which can be beat every time by perfect execution and play design creating mismatches over the middle of the field (via slot receivers and athletic TEs). Guess who excels at this? The Patriots, whose offense was initially designed to beat the Cover-2 front run by Indiannapolis.

The Patriots routinely destroy Cover-2 teams. The Patriots have problems against pressure schemes like the Jets.

I want this hire to happen.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Scott Carasik has a nice article on the Rex Ryan Hybrid Defense that Pettine's run.

http://www.scardraft.com/RyanHybrid46.html

I'm all in on this hire. His experience, knowledge of OLB play, connections, AFCE knowledge, and motivational ability make him a very attractive candidate.

I tried to look up Pettine's bio, did he really go from coaching high school to the NFL?