Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Rex Ryan confirmed defensive coordinator Mike Pettine will not be back with the Jets next season.

Ryan's job is safe through the 2013 season, but he's pressing on without OC Tony Sparano, GM Mike Tannebaum and Pettine -- whose contract expired after the 2012 season. Pettine is interviewing for the Bills' defensive coordinator position Tuesday. Meanwhile, the Jets are expected to promote secondary coach Dennis Thurman to the defensive coordinator position. "I don't think I've done as good a job of implementing who I am throughout this team," Ryan said. "I want physical, aggressive, attack style."

Rex wishes him the best unless he signs with Buffalo.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/01/rex-ryan-wishes-mike-pettine-all-the-best-unless-he-goes-to-buffalo.html

Also Rumor is had Chip Kelly signed with the Eagles, he would had been the choice.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Saw Rex said Mike Pettine will interview for Bills' DC spot. There were rumblings he'd have been Chip Kelly's DC, if Kelly went to Philly.

Excerpt from Rex Ryan Presser

"Mike Pettine is going to have several opportunities as a defensive coordinator,” said Ryan. “Today I know he interviews with the Buffalo Bills. I’m hoping he doesn’t take that job. I hope he goes somewhere else. Mike and I have been together for over 10 years. He’s a tremendous coach. We’ve had conversations. Mike thinks it’s best that he go to a different team as a defensive coordinator, and I wish him all the best unless he goes to Buffalo. But I love Mike and I respect him.”

Get er' done Russ!

I don't claim to be all that quick on the uptake, but what did that blog post have to do with ability to scheme according to personnel?

I've read it about 4 times and I'm still trying to read between the lines to find some hidden meaning also.

Pettine: “I thought it would be good to be exposed to a different style of coaching, a different system,” he told the Burlington County Times. “It’s like continuing education, the more things you can expose yourself too, it’s beneficial." And the fact that the Jets defense is a combination of 3 - 4, 4 - 6, and a mix of base, over, and under.

Pettine did mention he wants to keep an eye on the Eagles since that's his hometown team...I dont think Marrone is the type of guy to wait around and be a 2nd choice. We'll see how the interview goes.

Beat me to it BUFFALOTONE!

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa

Now this is potentially our D-coordinator. What a difference from Wannstedt!

A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive game plans in NFL history, the duo quietly made a shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs — 25% of the active roster — to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January of 2011.

For the better part of three seasons, Pettine and Ryan have relied on innovative and unconventional tactics to create havoc within the framework of their 3-4 scheme. Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Jets have finished 18th, seventh and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine said. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

The defensive philosophy this season is simple: “Best 11.” Thanks to an influx of athletic, young defensive linemen (see: Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples), the Jets’ best 11 defensive players will necessitate a four-man front.

“With the personnel we have,” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said on the final day of Jets minicamp Thursday, “it’s logical to do it.”

Ideally, here’s what the four-man front would look like: Wilkerson will play “80-plus percent of the snaps,” according to Pettine. Pace and Coples will be the primary edge rushers with a rotation among Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis for the fourth spot. Marcus Dixon will bounce between the interior and edge.

“If he’s fresh,” Pettine said of Coples, “there’s going to be more than a reasonable chance that he’s going to be out there on all downs.”

New defensive line coach Karl Dunbar has been trying to teach better pass rush techniques to all the defensive linemen, who have typically been stout run blockers in the past. The theme is to use their hands and body leverage to get to an offensive lineman’s edge rather than simply try to bull rush.

Dunbar has emphasized a switch from playing against the run to playing against the pass after the snap.

“I’m more a go-through-the-wall type of guy,” Pouha said. “Now I’m being smart and going around them.”

There were good early returns from minicamp. In 49 snaps — or about 75%of an average number of plays in a game — the first-team defense generated six simulated sacks, according to a Daily News breakdown.

The defensive line depth coupled with solid man-to-man coverage will also give Pettine and Ryan the flexibility to play more “46” defense, an aggressive variation with five pass rushers that was originally designed by Ryan’s father Buddy nearly 30 years ago. Although Rex Ryan installed the 46 in the Jets’ defensive playbook in 2009, expect it to be used more often out of any personnel grouping. Pettine and Ryan could conceivably use the 46 with goal-line, short yardage or base defenses.

“It doesn’t matter what the offense does,” Pettine said. “If they think that they’ll keep us out of it by going with four wide receivers... no it won’t. We’re better-suited to play it now.”

Perhaps the greatest benefit, Pettine said, is that the 46 will force opponents to have simple pass protections.

Offenses will either have to have five one-on-one blocking matchups or “turn the protection” by blocking gaps, which often creates mismatches for rushing linebackers.

Pettine noted that there were several times this off-season when those zone protection schemes against the 46 resulted in running backs Shonn Greene or Joe McKnight having to block Pace or Coples.

Although most teams that play the 46 typically use a Cover-1 look (one safety in the post) with man-to-man coverage underneath, the Jets will disguise their coverages when showing a Bear front. It’s the ultimate high-risk, high-reward defense that Ryan and Pettine won’t be afraid to use.

“Driving on the New York streets is very risky, but I drive home every night,” Dunbar said. “If you’re going to win big, you got to gamble big.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-scrap-3-4-defense-times-article-1.1096110

Pettine absolutely wants out of NY Jets....

#8- his contract is up in two weeks, he is out of work and will probably take the first good offer.

I wouldn't be so sure, he is probably going to be one of the most sought after D-Coordinator candidates (along with Horton.)

Edited by Captain Caveman

If the Bills go back to the 3x4 I will be giving up my 4 season tickets. that would represent the height of incompetence...we just restructured the personnel to the 4x3. You might say the new guy gets to make his call on that, and he does. And, I get to make the call on the money for the season tickets.

Now this is potentially our D-coordinator. What a difference from Wannstedt!

A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive game plans in NFL history, the duo quietly made a shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs — 25% of the active roster — to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January of 2011.

I just heard a loud thud on eastern Long Island.

If the Bills go back to the 3x4 I will be giving up my 4 season tickets. that would represent the height of incompetence...we just restructured the personnel to the 4x3. You might say the new guy gets to make his call on that, and he does. And, I get to make the call on the money for the season tickets.

Are your seats any good? I may take them.

They actually have better personnel for a 3-4. Since Mario and Anderson (probably) and Merriman can all play OLB.

Explained numerous places including on wgr.com - go look.

Edited by BobChalmers

If you would actually give up your season tix over what base defense the Bills chose, please give them up anyway since you are probably one of the guys who screams stupid crap all game long anyways.

Edited by Maddog69