Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

though i'll admit Marrone's hiring was a bit of a letdown for me when i first heard it (just b/c I was really hoping we'd land Lovie), some of the nonsense some people are posting on here about Marrone is unwarranted.

Marrone has coached in the NFL before and did very well in Syracuse (considering how bad that program was). He's highly regarded apparently by a bunch of NFL personnel.

Lets not burry him before he even starts.

this

Once again, I'm stunned by the closed-mindedness and idiocy of a select portion of our fan base. I'm not suggesting blind support, but to trash a move widely reported as being a coup for the Bills confounds me.

this too

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pick makes perfect sense.

Pick a complete joke of a coach. Bomb the season. Get number one pick. Take Johnny football. Pay marrone his bonus for losing with credibility. Fire the whole lot of them and get a real coach.

Otherwise it is a horrible hire.

So it's a horrible hire if he gets the bills to the playoffs? The Super Bowl? Get a grip. He was arguably the top candidate this year but certainly a top 5 one. Given that there were 7 jobs the bills did well with this hire.

Have you ever even watched a game he coached?

As for those saying he rescued a Su team that was dead in the water you couldn't be more correct. Syracuse is not a hot bed destination for top recruits. The weather, city, and facilities all play a role in that (sound familiar?). He has proven he can do more with less and has returned a joke program to respectability (exactly what is needed here)

So in conclusion; he has proven successful under less than ideal conditions, is well respected and highly regarded in nfl circles, and has nfl and hc experience. Boo freakin hoo.

When Marrone is described as being the hottest candidate out there? A resounding yes.

I thought that was Chip Kelly?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm just trying to separate what we want to believe from what we know.

I like the hire.

• In Marrone's last year as Saints' OC, Drew Brees ended season 16 yards short of Dan Marino's single-season record of 5084 total passing yards.
  • Syracuse, Boise State and Oregon have had most road victories during the Marrone era.
  • Marrone also amped up Saints offense with Brees, then in his 5th year: more plays, attempts, completions, yds, pass rating.
  • When Marrone was with Saints he had Reggie Bush (6'0, 4.3 speed), now he has Spiller (5'11", 4.3 speed) .
  • When Marrone was with Saints ('06-'08), Saints set records for Passing Yards in a game and Rushing Touchdowns in a season--still stand today
  • Drew Brees told Scott Pitoniak he “loved working with Marrone because [he] knew offenses inside and out” http://bit.ly/TTUUln
  • Marrone was Payton's OC with Saints. In 2006 and 2008 the Saints led the league in total offense.

So it's a horrible hire if he gets the bills to the playoffs? The Super Bowl? Get a grip. He was arguably the top candidate this year but certainly a top 5 one. Given that there were 7 jobs the bills did well with this hire.

Have you ever even watched a game he coached?

As for those saying he rescued a Su team that was dead in the water you couldn't be more correct. Syracuse is not a hot bed destination for top recruits. The weather, city, and facilities all play a role in that (sound familiar?). He has proven he can do more with less and has returned a joke program to respectability (exactly what is needed here)

So in conclusion; he has proven successful under less than ideal conditions, is well respected and highly regarded in nfl circles, and has nfl and hc experience. Boo freakin hoo.

Wow are you guys sarcasm impaired. It's sarcasm. I don't really think they hired the guy to lose out, I was being sarcastic. It's just another ****ty hire. He won't win 4 games.

The more the Chip Kelly drama plays out, the smarter the Bills look. Was on the fence at first, but count me as a supporter of this move. If one is to look at his resume and factor that into the coaches available and in demand, the Bills- for once- did the right thing.

Edited by Jamie Nails

dude...all he did was tell you that Manziel wasn't eligible...there wasn't even a hint of rudeness in his post

My bad your right. I retread the post and the first time I thought he was saying I must be only three years removed from HS. I stand corrected.

hahahahahhaa...i am glad you cleared that up...you had me scratching my head...but i gotta tell you that is a pretty funny mis-interpretation....

My bad your right. I retread the post and the first time I thought he was saying I must be only three years removed from HS. I stand corrected.

Wait -- so you're NOT only three years removed from HS? ;)

Once again, anyone trotting out Marrone's record at Syracuse as a negative is completely ignorant of how major college football works, in regards to what goes into building a truly "elite" program.

If you think that Doug Marrone should have and could have built Syracuse into a national powerhouse, then you really don't know anything about college ball. The problem isn't Marrone, its you guys.

What are you babbling about? It wasn't that long ago that Syracuse was a national powerhouse. Between '87-98 they were nationally ranked 9 times, twice they were in the top 10. Paul Pasqualoni took them to 3 BCS bowls.

Marrone had a cup of coffee in Syracuse and alternated crappy and decent years in the Big East.

7 teams hired new coaches last season. Why didn't anyone mention Marrone's name after his 5-7 season in 2011? Did the "Pinstripe Bowl" in really make him a "hot" prospect?

Wait -- so you're NOT only three years removed from HS? ;)

Only if you ask my wife.

Johnny football is a redshirt freshman. So after next season he will be three years removed from HS. So technically he can declare for the 2014 draft. Right?

Right. After you lied and said the guy had three winning seasons instead of five. Care to dredge up that fact? Explain why marrone sucks. I am concerned about the hire but I am not making claims without substantiation.

I miswrote a stat. You came up with an entire lie about me not explaining my thoughts in that thread.

I've explained why I believe what I believe multiple times.

Continue with your lies now.

Edited by LiterateStylish