BREAKING NEWS: NHL lockout is over!

Buftex

Yeah...we finally get a championship, and it comes with an *asterik! Wouldn't that be fitting? Oh well...nobody ever really mentions that two of the Redskins championship seasons came in shortened seasons!

As for the shortened season, I think it might actually be good... being an NBA fan, I enjoyed the intensity of the shortened regular season they had a few seasons ago...

Edited by Buftex

Alright, so I am ho-hum on Marrone. I am slightly less ho-hum on the NHL lockout. It's great it is over, but shortened seasons are just boring.

But we will still have playoff hockey!!! Can't wait.

Alright, so I am ho-hum on Marrone. I am slightly less ho-hum on the NHL lockout. It's great it is over, but shortened seasons are just boring.

Could not disagree more jboyst, last short season was awesome. Every game takes on a playoff feel.

Yeah...we finally get a championship, and it comes with an *asterik! Wouldn't that be fitting? Oh well...nobody ever really mentions that two of the Redskins championship seasons came in shortened seasons!

As for the shortened season, I think it might actually be good... being an NBA fan, I enjoyed the intensity of the shortened regular season they had a few seasons ago...

LoL... That is what I was thinking! LoL...

If teams are hurting, especially down south and non-traditional hockey markets... Why don't they just play shorter seasons? Would this help? It almost appears that the troubled teams make more money NOT playing. ?? When did the season (playoffs) start dragging into June? Heck, like the old days, old days... Just play from November to March... Why don't they go really old school... No way should the season be so long...

CT Gov. Malloy hoping to replace the long departed Whalers in Hartford. Good luck Gov; the problem he fails to see is the eastern half of CT is all Boston fans and the Western half are all NY fans. And no one who actually lives in Hartford would know a hockey puck if they bit into one.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130107/NEWS01/130109917

CT Gov. Malloy hoping to replace the long departed Whalers in Hartford. Good luck Gov; the problem he fails to see is the eastern half of CT is all Boston fans and the Western half are all NY fans. And no one who actually lives in Hartford would know a hockey puck if they bit into one.

http://www.hartfordb...EWS01/130109917

Agree... Don't see how that would work... Already got 3 teams in NYC area... Then Boston.

Would be nice to see somoe of the southern teams move to Canada... Say Quebec and the Maritimes...

FYI: did everyone realize that the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn for the 2015 season? I realize, the Islanders have been pretty awful for years...but that just doesn't seem right.

Yes.

Why? Brooklyn is still on Long Island... No more different than the Rangers on Manhattan? Why is hockey in Brooklyn strange?

Is there a schedule available? I tried NHL.com but no luck

They still need to ratify the CBA before they can release any of that info. The board of governors meet for their vote tomorrow. I'm not entirely sure when the players' vote is since that's a much larger group. You probably won't see anything schedule-wise until the weekend.

Agree... Don't see how that would work... Already got 3 teams in NYC area... Then Boston.

Would be nice to see somoe of the southern teams move to Canada... Say Quebec and the Maritimes...

The Maritimes don't have the population or the economics to support a pro sports franchise

They are working on trying to get a new arena in Quebec City to try and get the Nordiques back already.

The problem with moving teams back into Canada is that right now, with the dollars being so close, it works well for Canada, but if/when the dollar drops again and theres a big difference between the Canadian and US dollar, those teams are back to struggling to survive. Also, more teams in Canada does nothing to expand the league and attract the lucrative TV deals. Canadians all over love hockey and support teams already, weither they are in Saskatchewan or PEI, or Toronto. If the NHL wants to grow and become one of the big guns in the sporting world, they need expansion into current non hockey market areas of the US to get a better TV deal. ESPN doesn't want hockey if the only people watching are north of the Mason/Dixon. They won't pay NFL type money for a sport only half the country cares about, so they need teams in Florida and Arizona and Texas to get people interested and into the game. That will only come with good marketing by those teams, and a quality product on the ice, something most of those areas have struggled with......