Freddy wants to remain in a Bill, even if it means being backup

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred will be 32 in Feb and is at an age where RBs fall off a cliff - he can catch and block and that might extended his career another year or two, but while he may be able to spell Spiller for plays if Spiller goes out for an extended time you may be surprised how totally ineffective he has become. Some people wish the Bills were more like New England and one thing that differentiates New England from the Bills is an almost total lack of sentimentalism (if anything they get rid of their older players a year early) and I'm sure they would have taken a hard look at Wilson, Kelsay and Barnett. You don't have to cut Freddie but you should have a plan B ready to go .

AND I will be happy to backup the next head coach, Chan Gailey was unbelievable last season but I will be 59 next season and WTF, money is money and I know somebody will cut my wages anyway.... :nana:

Edited by HOUSE

Other than the fumbles which is not characteristic of his play he is great to have on the team. They will shed salary with Kelsay, McGee, Barnett, and maybe T Jackson. They have plenty of cap space to sign a top tier WR FA if one is available. He is not that expensive for another year.

I will say that I want Freddy in this team as long as he's able to don pads and a uniform. But we have to be realistic with him. Maybe use him as much as we used Choice this season. The guy is 32 years old when the next season starts and he's coming off 3 straight seasons where he's had season ending injuries. Regardless of how freak the injury was or how simple it was, it was still a season ending injury. If it happens once its a freak accident, 3 times is consistency. He is showing his age and wear as a RB.

We're fools if we think he will ever play at a level that made us all love him from 2 years ago. We're fools if we think he can handle more than a few games a year where he might have to take the full load as starting RB.

You keep him. What is the plan if CJ is injured in week 2. Or in preseason. Is it more likely for FJ to get injured? Yes. Is CJ injury proof? No. Is FJ better than Choice? Yes when healthy. Is he better than a late round rookie? Probably when running and definitely when it comes to pass protection or screen plays. I would not like to see us spend any picks on RB this year.

True, why the hell did he start fumbling all the time?

On one I think he got dinged in the head and dropped it in a daze; I give him a pass for that one. On the others I was really surprised b/c he's been pretty good about ball security in the past. Hopefully just bad luck.

Fred will be 32 in Feb and is at an age where RBs fall off a cliff - he can catch and block and that might extended his career another year or two, but while he may be able to spell Spiller for plays if Spiller goes out for an extended time you may be surprised how totally ineffective he has become. Some people wish the Bills were more like New England and one thing that differentiates New England from the Bills is an almost total lack of sentimentalism (if anything they get rid of their older players a year early) and I'm sure they would have taken a hard look at Wilson, Kelsay and Barnett. You don't have to cut Freddie but you should have a plan B ready to go .

He looked pretty bad the first 2 weeks after hurting his knee, but he looked really good for a stretch there....before he got hurt again. His health is my only concern, but it's not like he had any major season enders this year. That said, I'd like for the FO to start looking to draft his replacement. Low miles or not, he can't have many more years left.

On one I think he got dinged in the head and dropped it in a daze; I give him a pass for that one. On the others I was really surprised b/c he's been pretty good about ball security in the past. Hopefully just bad luck.

This may sound weird, but I remember when Jackson came back from that early injury, and Spiller had been ripping it up, I was thinking that Jackson was trying too hard to run like Spiller...he was trying to run and cut at a speed that made him awkward...

This may sound weird, but I remember when Jackson came back from that early injury, and Spiller had been ripping it up, I was thinking that Jackson was trying too hard to run like Spiller...he was trying to run and cut at a speed that made him awkward...

I remember taht. I didn't know if that was him trying that or Gailey calling plays better designed for Spiller, but I remember him looking really slow (too slow for the plays being called) and thinking he was done. Then a few weeks later I saw the Fred I remembered. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and popcorn ready) for his return.

Not down on CJ Spiller at all (who could be?), but those so quick to write off Fred Jackson are nuts... reminds me of Thomas Jones a few years back...he was consistently under-appreciated by the teams he was on throughout his career, but particularly late in his career, he dominated most weeks...same with Willis McGahee...no reason that Fred and CJ can't co-exist with competent play calling. There is still a lot of tread on Jackson's tires.

Edited by Buftex

If Fred is sincerely ok with being a backup now then (not than) he is a team first guy which I want on this team. He is a starter at heart but realizes his body can't keep pace with his mentality and CJ is faster, quicker and younger. He can play the Marcus Allen role when Allen was at KC. 2.+million a year for Fred is fine by me as long as the run game is a priority with the new HC. We'll need a new RB in a year or two to be groomed for a back up (gunning for a starting role (who wants a player doesn't vie to be a starter?)) Would be nice to still have Joique Bell. Fred deserves to stay here. Fred's price is not extraordinary. I'm prolly speaking to the choir tho. He shall stay and the 2nd string rb position will be the least of our worries. He would be a great complement (not compliment) to CJ. Unless of course he wants to compliment CJ for a good play.

Edited by Pilsner

As great as Spiller has played, the offense hasn't been the same since Jackson first got hurt during 2011 season. He was on his way to an MVP season and the O was hard to stop.

Actually not. THe NFL had already figured out the pop-warner throws of Fitzpatrick a few games before Freddie got hurt. Let us not rewrite history here.

Only a fool would want to discard Fred at this point. Loyalty and productivity must come into account. He can be productive, yes he gets injured as well. But if he wasn't getting the Lion's share of the carries next season he would and could last the season. I may be part of a minority here, but I would rather try and win AND show loyalty to those productive and loyal players who want to be here rather than say bye bye to them. Make this more than just a business. What fanatic wants to root for a business? And what fanatic wants to root for a team with some values? Think about it.

Only a fool would want to discard Fred at this point. Loyalty and productivity must come into account. He can be productive, yes he gets injured as well. But if he wasn't getting the Lion's share of the carries next season he would and could last the season. I may be part of a minority here, but I would rather try and win AND show loyalty to those productive and loyal players who want to be here rather than say bye bye to them. Make this more than just a business. What fanatic wants to root for a business? And what fanatic wants to root for a team with some values? Think about it.

Meh.. I disagree. I think it is about winning and it is a business. Do the Pats win because they are loyal? No, they dump guys before they lose their talent/value to the team. The Kelsay contract reeked of a loyalty contract and that is universally looked at as a bad deal. Fred probably has 1 year left and it is at a position that is relatively easy to replace. Late round RBs around the league have had a lot of success lately. Just look at Alfred Morris on the skins for one example.

I like Fred but what good is a old injured RB who fumbles a lot.

Brilliant move signing him to an extension before waiting for the off season. Just as bad as the Jaroun and Fitztragic signings.

You mean the extension he signed last offseason?