Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the speculation kind of amusing when we don't even have a coaching staff at the moment. I have trouble thinking that this "new direction" the bills are taking would involve trading for a QB without the coaching staffs' opinion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Obviously this CBS report saying "it's all but guaranteed" is a bit over the top and absurd...

However, these decisions/directions for the team do not have to be made in a vacuum.

Do you not think that the topic of QB is coming up in the coaching interviews?

I would imagine Brandon and company are talking to each candidate and saying something like "We are thinking of going hard for Alex Smith. What do you think about that? Can you work with him? How do you like him as a player? Can you build an offense around him?"

And I'm sure other QB names are being mentioned as well, if the Bills think there is someone else who might be attainable and is equally or more attractive.

It all blends together and fits together. Coach, approach to game, QB.

At least it should!

Is Alex Smith even scheduled to be a UFA? If so I wouldnt mind this, but if we have to pony up drafts picks for him i say forget it.

Smith would come here via trade. Obviously, the price dictated by San Fran would be instrumental in assessing whether or not it makes sense.

I wouldn't want to pay dearly for the guy, but I'd pay a solid price.

And outside of the top 2 picks in the draft who were projected to be some of the best QBs to come out in years, and Wilson, how many of them are lighting up the League?

Tannehill? Wheedon? or going back to last season Ponder (who is on a team that had to be carried, literally, by one of the best RBs the leagues seen in years into the playoffs and was looked at earlier this year as possibly the worst in the starting QB in the league this year)? Locker?

Yeah, all rookie QBs should come into the league and have immediate success, Luck, RGIII & Wilson did it!

Didn't say anything about immediate success. Tannehill played well for a team that was expected to overtake our yearly holding of last place in the AFCE. Does anyone here think the bills are a starting QB away from a superbowl? Experience beats out holding a clipboard.

So much goes into the reasons why teams choose which candidates to interview. Much like the draft, some of that could boil down to team and player scouting. For example, we know that the Bills are interviewing Whisenhunt for the head coaching position. Having coached for the last several year in the NFC West, he would have an intimate knowledge of Alex Smith's strengths and weaknesses. Asking Whisenhunt about him would give the Bills a reasonable take on Smith whether they may be interested in acquiring BOTH Whisenhunt and Smith -- or not.

I think the big difference here is, I'm not sure if Alex Smith is "automatic starter" status. But maybe he thinks he is... this might be a problem no matter what team he goes to.

That was definitely part of the problem with Flutie... that and the fact that the team told him they wanted him to start. A couple of weeks later they traded for RJ and, to add insult to injury, took the #11 that Flutie originally asked for and gave it to RJ. (You can't wear his college #22 as a QB in the NFL, and Steve Christie already had #2, so Flutie took #11.)

I never heard of Mike Freeman and I hope he is wrong. Alex Smith in Buffalo would be like Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0. How many good seasons has he had in the NFL?

For a long time he was considered a bust (similar to Jemarcus Russell) until Harbaugh turned him around and even then it had much to do with the 49er's improving as a team overall.

This would be a desperation move by the Bills and it would cost them multiple draft picks including their own 1st rounder. Bad idea!! This would be like Oakland acquiring Carson Palmer from Cinci for multiple picks and that has been a COMPLETE disaster!!!!

I never heard of Mike Freeman and I hope he is wrong. Alex Smith in Buffalo would be like Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0. How many good seasons has he had in the NFL?

For a long time he was considered a bust (similar to Jemarcus Russell) until Harbaugh turned him around and even then it had much to do with the 49er's improving as a team overall.

This would be a desperation move by the Bills and it would cost them multiple draft picks including their own 1st rounder. Bad idea!! This would be like Oakland acquiring Carson Palmer from Cinci for multiple picks and that has been a COMPLETE disaster!!!!

Alex Smith may not exactly be the perfect melding of Montana, Marino, and Elway, but to compare him, in ANY way, to Fitzpatrick is just stupid.

He is probably the best QB that could realistically be added to the Bills for next season.

Obviously this CBS report saying "it's all but guaranteed" is a bit over the top and absurd...

However, these decisions/directions for the team do not have to be made in a vacuum.

Do you not think that the topic of QB is coming up in the coaching interviews?

I would imagine Brandon and company are talking to each candidate and saying something like "We are thinking of going hard for Alex Smith. What do you think about that? Can you work with him? How do you like him as a player? Can you build an offense around him?"

And I'm sure other QB names are being mentioned as well, if the Bills think there is someone else who might be attainable and is equally or more attractive.

It all blends together and fits together. Coach, approach to game, QB.

At least it should!

I agree with you on every point. I guess I should have clarified I was really pointing to the article and not the speculation of others here. Since that's all we can do anyways. :thumbsup:

I never heard of Mike Freeman and I hope he is wrong. Alex Smith in Buffalo would be like Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0. How many good seasons has he had in the NFL?-At least two more then Fitz (the past two).

This would be a desperation move by the Bills and it would cost them multiple draft picks including their own 1st rounder-not hardly. Most likely if he came here he would be cut, he is a big hit against San Fran's cap next year. Even if it was a trade, it wouldn't be a first rounder and a bunch of picks. Could probably get him for a 3rd or a 4th.. Bad idea!! This would be like Oakland acquiring Carson Palmer from Cinci for multiple picks and that has been a COMPLETE disaster!!!!

According to Rotoworld, Smith's 2013 salary of $7.5 million becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster April 1. If Kapernick is truly their QB of the future, they would likely cut Smith if they get no trade offers for him. I suspect someone will pony up a 3d for him.