Would you accept Fitz in a backup role if he restructures contract?

Big Turk

I know Fitz isn't the answer at QB, but he is more than a capable backup in this league and could probably really help a young QB learn the game. He seems like a good guy who would help a young QB out a lot, especially in the film room and with his smarts pointing out different things he should be looking at. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, his decision making is pretty good for the most part, its just his physical talents doesn't allow him to do what his brain is telling him to. I would argue that he probably has gotten more out of his physical talent than he should have gotten due to his intelligence and quick decision making.

Anyways, I would not hate the idea of Fitz staying on as a backup with a restructured contract to help mentor a young QB and as an insurance policy in case the starter goes down next year...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, in the small hope that he would one day finally put it all together. It sounds impossible now, I know, but just based on his likability factor I really wish he could be the guy we all wanted him to be. Stranger things have happened. Right?

Sorry . "Out of sight, out of mind". The quicker he's just a memory the better. Barkley, Wilson, The Smiths (Geno or his brother Alex), any would be a fresh start. I want some hope and let's face it with Fitz there is no hope. Not trying to be a hater but I really dread another year with him in uniform. Please... NO !!

And Happy New Year my Buffalo brothers

I know Fitz isn't the answer at QB, but he is more than a capable backup in this league and could probably really help a young QB learn the game. He seems like a good guy who would help a young QB out a lot, especially in the film room and with his smarts pointing out different things he should be looking at. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, his decision making is pretty good for the most part, its just his physical talents doesn't allow him to do what his brain is telling him to. I would argue that he probably has gotten more out of his physical talent than he should have gotten due to his intelligence and quick decision making.

Anyways, I would not hate the idea of Fitz staying on as a backup with a restructured contract to help mentor a young QB and as an insurance policy in case the starter goes down next year...

I think we should keep him as a backup.

I would, in the small hope that he would one day finally put it all together. It sounds impossible now, I know, but just based on his likability factor I really wish he could be the guy we all wanted him to be. Stranger things have happened. Right?

Stranger? maybe but but Fitz just doesn't have it.

Sorry . "Out of sight, out of mind". The quicker he's just a memory the better. Barkley, Wilson, The Smiths (Geno or his brother Alex), any would be a fresh start. I want some hope and let's face it with Fitz there is no hope. Not trying to be a hater but I really dread another year with him in uniform. Please... NO !!

I second this motion.

I'm not saying we should burn every vestige of his presence on our roster, but we should place them all in garbage bags, and head quickly toward the dumpster.

Fitz is done in Buffalo... I doubt he has any future as a starter or backup with another NFL team.

Edited by #34fan

I second this motion.

I'm not saying we should burn every vestige of his presence on our roster, but we should place them all in garbage bags, and head quickly toward the dumpster.

Fitz is done in Buffalo... I doubt he has any future as a starter or backup with another NFL team.

Thanks for the laugh! You've got to be joking.

Todd Collins 3 years with Bills, then 5 at KC, 3 at Redskins, and one more at Chicago

Doug Flutie 3 years with Bills, then 4 at SD, and one more at NewenGland*

Rob Johnson 4 years with Bills, then 1 at TB (2002 - they won the SuperBowl) then one more split between Washington and Oakland

Drew Bledsoe 3 years with Bills, then 2 at Dallas

Kelly Holcomb 1 year with Bills, then 1 at Minnesota

JP Losman 5 years with Bills, then 1 at Oakland and one at Miami

Trent Edwards 3.2 years with Bills, picked up by Jacksonville and was the Iggles backup this year.

Alex Van Pelt spent 9 years as a Bill, played for no other team and retired to coaching.

No, thank you. I would rather cut Fitz and re-sign TJax to be our backup.

Great guy, perfect backup in theory. Horrible idea. It would create divided loyalties between the new staff/QB and old QB. At the first challenging moment you'd hear too much grumbling. Too much to saddle a new coach with. I'll make like Gailey and choose to pass even though it seems like a bad idea.

And Happy New Year my Buffalo brothers

OK so they cut Fitz,, , now what? They have no quarterbacks on this team. As far as I know Jackson will be a free agent and Thigpen is not capable and also a free agent.They draft a quarterback , but there is no guarantee he will not struggle as many rookies do. There just doesn't seem to be a quality qb draft this year. They would need to get one or two quarterbacks in free agency. As much as I hate the idea, Vick might need to be looked at as a possible addition to this team. Maybe a trade is possible, such as Flynn but what will be asked for in return? Look at the Qbs that are going to be free agents this year and you won't be impressed at all except for Flacco,and I'm pretty sure he will be signed by Baltimore. The Bills can't just draft a young qb and hand him the reigns unless he proves he deserves it,like Wilson did in Seattle. I don't think Fitz is the long term answer either, but what are the alternatives?

With a restructured contract, Fitz would be a great backup. He could get you through a few games if the main guy gets injured, and would be great in the locker room and film room.

Fitz himself would be great in the locker room but you're nuts if you don't think it would create divided loyalties among the vets. Worst possible situation you can put a newly drafted QB into with the guy he replaced there over his shoulder. The team needs to commit fully to its new guys.

I would draft two and sign Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, or maybe David Carr - none of them are even as good as Fitz, but all have experience around the league and can step in in a pinch. Carr has at least been on some winning Giants teams.