Would you accept Fitz in a backup role if he restructures contract?

Big Turk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz doesn't want to be a backup

Headline story on ESPN Insider Rumors:

Fitz is quoted as saying "I think I'm a starter in this league and want to play."

No Fitz, You're a career backup who has no business starting on a regular basis in the NFL.

Sounds like Fitz himself isn't super-interested in that role.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120695/article/ryan-fitzpatrick-lobbying-to-remain-bills-starter

Also, new coach may like TJax but he'll have to compete with everyone else for him in free agency.

Exactly.....all these years of gaileys support have went to his head....he says " I'm a starter in this league" a little too often.

Fresh start IMO....don't need that.

I know Fitz isn't the answer at QB, but he is more than a capable backup in this league and could probably really help a young QB learn the game. He seems like a good guy who would help a young QB out a lot, especially in the film room and with his smarts pointing out different things he should be looking at. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, his decision making is pretty good for the most part, its just his physical talents doesn't allow him to do what his brain is telling him to. I would argue that he probably has gotten more out of his physical talent than he should have gotten due to his intelligence and quick decision making.

Anyways, I would not hate the idea of Fitz staying on as a backup with a restructured contract to help mentor a young QB and as an insurance policy in case the starter goes down next year...

unless we bring in a coach who's philosophy is screen passes and throws 10 yards and under... Fitz should be let go... I think Fitz is WELL aware that he will not have a starting gig anywhere in the league and his best chance at seeing the field would be with a team with a very young QB for him to work with and be the clear #2... Just hope its not in B-Lo

Fitz doesn't want to be a backup

Headline story on ESPN Insider Rumors:

Fitz is quoted as saying "I think I'm a starter in this league and want to play."

No Fitz, You're a career backup who has no business starting on a regular basis in the NFL.

For a "Harvard" grad... he doesnt sound too smart... He doesnt even PLAY smart... He doesnt do a terrible job of reading a D, but as smart as he is supposed to be, he should be smart enough to know his lack of arm strength and accuracy (which is more of a problem than the arm strength).. his footwork is AWFUL... throws from awkard positions way to many times when he is not even pressured. Footwork is so crucial for QB. You watch guys that Brady or Peyton, who are not running QB's, their feet are always moving, Brady normally with his little jump steps and Manning constantly patting his feet. They both do so to get themselves firstly out of the traffic in pocket AND to get themselves in the best possible position to throw the football. Fitz rarely plants his front foot to get his body is best postion to hit the pass.. It's like he thinks its madden, just cuz guy is open, doesnt mean the ball automatically is gonna get there! The ONLY reason Fitz didnt have MANY more Int's is cuz so many of his incompletions are missed SOOOO badly, the WR nor the defender have a chance. Fitz is better suited to be a 3rd baseman where u can skip a throw and the 1st baseman can dig it out of the ground! The guy is USELESS, worst move is franchise HISTORY to have signed that bum to extension.. Even when he were winning... Our offensive game plan was soooooo easy to stop, Teams just didnt catch on first few weeks probably they had no fear of us... Once teams realized this guy cant throw a ball over 10 yards, Fitz magic was done...

I know Fitz isn't the answer at QB, but he is more than a capable backup in this league and could probably really help a young QB learn the game. He seems like a good guy who would help a young QB out a lot, especially in the film room and with his smarts pointing out different things he should be looking at. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, his decision making is pretty good for the most part, its just his physical talents doesn't allow him to do what his brain is telling him to. I would argue that he probably has gotten more out of his physical talent than he should have gotten due to his intelligence and quick decision making.

Anyways, I would not hate the idea of Fitz staying on as a backup with a restructured contract to help mentor a young QB and as an insurance policy in case the starter goes down next year...

Yes. I am not sure how many qbs in this class can step right in. Also, things have changed with the new CBA. Early draft picks cost less these days. It wouldn't be unreasonable at all to keep Fitz for a year to help break a kid in. Besides, Fitz will probably be an OC down the road, and might be a willing mentor.

I second this motion.

I'm not saying we should burn every vestige of his presence on our roster, but we should place them all in garbage bags, and head quickly toward the dumpster.

Fitz is done in Buffalo... I doubt he has any future as a starter or backup with another NFL team.

I third it.You are only asking for problems if he stays on the team. It is time to move forward and draft a QB of the future and maybe pick 1 up as a FA to be a backup.

Yes. I am not sure how many qbs in this class can step right in. Also, things have changed with the new CBA. Early draft picks cost less these days. It wouldn't be unreasonable at all to keep Fitz for a year to help break a kid in. Besides, Fitz will probably be an OC down the road, and might be a willing mentor.

Bill, you don't see this as a powder keg scenario for another QB controversy? I know that's not Fitz's temperament but it doesn't matter when you're talking about the rest of the guys, a lot of the, veterans who could be gun shy at the first sign of struggles with a new QB. Again, I see Fitz as ideal for the job in every way except for the fact that he has already been starting here and wants to start.

Great backup - who would fit perfectly in a role where he gives you a chance to come right off the bench and win a game or a few games for your team. Not a 16 game starter though as we've foun out.

Would make a good frank reich for this team

With a restructured contract, Fitz would be a great backup. He could get you through a few games if the main guy gets injured, and would be great in the locker room and film room.

I totally disagree. Where is all the love for Fitz coming from? He SUCKS!! Have you seen our record the past three seasons? Take away the first two games in 2010 when Edwards started and you have 16-30. No QB should be playing in the NFL with a 16-30 record. Starter or BACKUP!! He won't "get us thru games". He will lose us games. That is what he is good at. And why is he great in the locker room? What teammates ever sang his praises this season? NFLplayers want to win. That is all that matters. They know that Fitz isn't doing that.. This team has been horrible with Fitz at the helm. Simply horrible. Sure the defense has been bad. But other than Spiller, the offense has been almost as putrid. And that is mostly on Fitz, and his horrible accuracy, on any throw beyond the line of scrimmage.

With a solid QB Stevie Johnson would have had 1500 yards. And Scott Chandler could be the next Jason Witten.. Give us another big receiver that can run, with Nelson, Johnson, Jones, Graham, maybe Easley and/or B Smith, Chandler and a solid offensive play caller, and AN ABOVE AVERAGE QB, and the offense will be competitive EVERY WEEK.. Fitz is the main reason this team could not compete. The final series before the half against the Jets was pure Fitz. First play he hits Stevie for about 15 yrds on a decent throw which Stevie than breaks a tackle and runs for another 10 or 12 yards. Fitz than missed on three straight passes including two short ones to CJ, and we had to punt from the around the Jets 45 yrd line w two timeouts left. This is not NFL quarterbacking. Put the cover on the coffin and lets move on. Fitz was never GOOD. The highlight of his career with us was how he played against the Ravens three seasons ago. And we still lost that game as well.

Your backup should still have some upside. And Fitz's best game was as a rookie w the Rams in 2005 w his comeback in Houston. Enuf said, and Happy New Year!!

Nothing like having a disgruntled former starter remaining on your team. It's a Buddy type move, similar to when the Bills held onto Losman for 2008 when Edwards took his job.

I would never have the demoted guy working in the same department. Regardless of whether the guy is good, it makes for an awkward situation.

Fitz will start somewhere in the NFL next season. If not Buffalo, somewhere else. Mark my words. IF I were a betting man, I would take odds on Arizona. He lives there, and might take a haircut on his $10mil to play there. Lord knows he can't be worse than what they have as a QB.