Thanks Coach Gailey

OldTimer1960

While the results were not what we all wanted, Coach Gailey always took responsibility for his team's failures. He always tried to publicly protect his players from criticism, even when they regularly let him down.

One of the biggest criticisms of Coach Gailey was his allegiance to Ryan Fitzpatrick as QB. I suspect that privately, the coach knew that Ryan was a good try-hard QB that does not quite have the physical tools to be a good starting NFL QB, however he never threw Fitz under the bus to the media. Gailey knew that his ship was sinking with Fitz, but he continued to support him as he really didn't have any better option. One can argue that the Bills should have drafted Andy Dalton or Russell WIlson and, in hind-sight, you'd be right, but they were far from being considered "sure-things". Other than those two, I really don't see other top QBs that they could have gotten to replace Fitz (of course, a small trade up would have netted them Colin Kaepernick, but again he was no sure thing and you always have to find a partner to trade up with).

I have no real quarrel with the Bills' recent strategy of trying to build a strong D and good OL and then fill in with a better QB, once those areas had jelled. The big failing seems to be that even with what looks on paper like very good defensive talent, they defense was again putrid. I think this is what really cost Coach Gailey his job. I know that Dave Wannestadt was the DC, but Gailey couldn't be kept and allowed to hire a 3rd DC after George Edwards and Wannestadt had failed and it appears that the NFL has changed and Dave Wannestadt didn't adjust. There is just absolutely no way that the defense with Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Mario Williams and a young improving Alex Carrington on DL should be anywhere near as bad against the run as they were.

On offense, it is very hard for me to criticize Gailey much, given the bare cupboard he was working with. He had CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson and a pretty good OL (until injuries decimated them again). The QB and number 2 and 3 WRs were among the worst starters in the NFL at their respective positions and their TE was, at best, an average NFL starter. The only quibble I can even point to was the reluctance to get CJ Spiller the ball more often over the past 2 seasons.

At any rate, it is exciting to speculate on who will be the next head coach and, once again, hope for improvement. Just wanted to post one reasonably positive view of Coach Gailey. I am sure that there will be plenty of negative ones...

This feels so much different than when they fired Jauron. Or when Mularkey "resigned." I wanted them both gone, but I felt much differently about that. He really is just a classy guy. Never been rude to the media, never avoided interviews, just not good enough and its too bad.

Positive review of Gailey? The guy had a .333 winning percentage. This ranks right of there with the happy and proud to be a Bills fan thread. :thumbdown:

Are we supposed to be nostalgic about Gailey leaving? Some sort of emotional attachment? C'mon.

You can feel however you want.

You can also take the hate for a good man to another thread or simply keep it to yourself.

Nice thread, OldTimer. I agree. Taking on the Head Coaching responsibilities for any NFL team is always a difficult task. Long hours, tons of pressure, etc.

We all (Gailey included) wish it would have worked out differently, yet here we are. Best wishes and Good health to Chan in his future.

Now lets get a real Head Coach in here!

I would have liked Chan to succeed. Of recent coaches the Bills have had, he was the most personable. That unfortuanately does not win games.

Two things, IMO were his undoing, the inability to fix the defense and two his unwavering support of Fitz. He could have at least tried Tavares Jackson.

Let's get serious. Nobody wanted chan in '09 but that's all we could get. People didn't even want to interview with us. I have the feeling it's going to be the same deal this time around. Some no name mediocre coach. But as long as he's a nice guy it's ok I guess! Being a playoff team is overrated anyhow

Yeah, it was a little tough for me to read from Buscaglia that Chan said goodbye with tears in his eyes. I totally agree with JM57. The other guys I didn't like on any level, football or as a person.

But Chan was a good guy and a straight shooter. On a personal level, i'm a little sad. But on a football level, this is what I wanted. It feels a little strange.

Good luck Chan. I hope you land on a team that can utilize you as a stud Offensive Coordinator!