Levitre intent on shopping around for best offer - Sully

dave mcbride

He said he likes Buddy Nix and that he thinks this team is heading in the right direction and that his interest in staying with Bufflo on a scale of 1-10 is a 10.

Sounds like Sully is just trying to put the worst spin on it.

When the Front Officev shakes out I hope that he'll get a decent offer.

Was that 10 before or after Chan got the ax?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, they'd be letting the best guard in the game slip through their fingers. Sure, it's a more fungible position than most, but this would be a mistake.

not the best, but a very good one.

keeping pressure out of a young qbs face is so important too.

Hence, the tag.

The problem is that the safety tag is way less and Byrd is one of the best safeties in the league. My conclusion: we need to draft more guys who played college ball in Oregon (and hopefully hire the current Oregon coach, although I realize that this is highly unlikely).

Levitre is top priority. They should re-sign Byrd too but a pro bowl caliber (he hasn't made it but should) offensive linemen is much more valuable than a free safety. Keep continuity on the offensive line. Franchise tag Levitre as many years as it takes if he doesn't sign long term, a la the Patriots.

How do you figure this?

Byrd got screwed by this years pro-bowl snub. He was our best player on defense for the 2nd year in a row. He had finally turned into the all around safety we all wanted and now we just let him walk?

The problem is that the safety tag is way less and Byrd is one of the best safeties in the league. My conclusion: we need to draft more guys who played college ball in Oregon (and hopefully hire the current Oregon coach, although I realize that this is highly unlikely).

Yeah, I just looked it up. Are guards combined with tackles?

Levitre will be FRANCHISED........next to spiller, he was the bills best player this season. Byrd is over rated.

I don't think so - he is excellent in coverage and forces turnovers as well as any player in the league. That more than makes up for any deficiencies he may have in run support. People around the league certainly think he's one of the best safeties in the league, and I won't be surprised if he ends up on the all pro squad.

Yeah, I just looked it up. Are guards combined with tackles?

Yes, they are. Stupid, I know. Unfair to tackles too.

Did you hear that on-air? He seems like a stand up guy, and I would hope that if the Bills gave him a competitve offer he'd accept it. After last season's excellent string of re-signings, it'd be a shame to lose Levitre.

As always, a pending free agent suggesting they'll see what offers they can recieve on the open market is a bargaining tool--- I think Stevie said the same thing last year.

One of the on-air guys reported it. They didn't play audio of Levitre actually speaking.

I would franchise Levitre before Byrd .. which means we won't do it and he will leave --- talk about a massive hole in the center of the line.

If Andy was a Steeler or a Patriot he wouild be in the Pro Bowl BTW. He is an excellent player.

Nix should have worked this contract and Bryd's before the season ended. Typical.

Edited by Bob in STL

I hope its just posturing for his deal. We canned the coach and will have a new staff so that could go a long way for him staying here.

Or it could do the exact opposite, not wanting to have to play through another regime change and learn another new offence here. If he is going to be part of a new offence with new coaches, might as well see if someone better will pay him more now that he can shop around

Levitre is simply doing and saying the right thing. That guy would be stupid not to test the free agent market, and it will force the Bills to make him their very best offer. IMO, he genuinely wants to stay and he genuinely wants to be paid what he is worth for what he has done on the field. And that is to be paid amongst the highest paid OG's in the game. In the end, I think we have at least a 50/50 chance to sign him. I think if the money is close he will re-sign. If the money isn't close, he will go, depending on the team that makes the offer.

Levitre is simply doing and saying the right thing. That guy would be stupid not to test the free agent market, and it will force the Bills to make him their very best offer. IMO, he genuinely wants to stay and he genuinely wants to be paid what he is worth for what he has done on the field. And that is to be paid amongst the highest paid OG's in the game. In the end, I think we have at least a 50/50 chance to sign him. I think if the money is close he will re-sign. If the money isn't close, he will go, depending on the team that makes the offer.

Hope you're right about this. He's a good player.

I am not quoting Levitre exactly but what I heard him say is he feels he has given alot for this franchise and would like to see that reciprocated. To me sounds like he wants o stay but wants also fair pay.

Part of the problem in my mind is that it sounds like Buddy hasn't bothered to have any serious talks with his agent yet. It's a sign of disrespect to a player to be forced to play out the last year of his contract unless injuries were a significant factor.

Someone please show me when Nix/Whaley have failed to re-sign a FA that they wanted to keep.

Until then, I have a few examples of pending UFAs for you to consider:

Kyle Williams

Erik Pears

Stevie Johnson

Fred Jackson

Scott Chandler

Kraig Urbik

Fitzpatrick

George Wilson

Now, you may not agree that they should've paid the above, and that's fine. However, it's folly to say that they don't re-sign their own when they want to. In fact, the only guys they've let walk without a fight were Whitner and Poz. Clearly, they wanted to move in another direction, since they didn't even make an offer.

Let's see what happens with Levitre, but my guess is that both he and Byrd are re-signed.