Levitre intent on shopping around for best offer - Sully

dave mcbride

As far as I'm concerned, they'd be letting the best guard in the game slip through their fingers. Sure, it's a more fungible position than most, but this would be a mistake.

Isn't that what farm teams do? :ph34r:

Hit fungos? I think big league teams do that too.

Nix should have worked this contract and Bryd's before the season ended. Typical.

Part of the problem in my mind is that it sounds like Buddy hasn't bothered to have any serious talks with his agent yet. It's a sign of disrespect to a player to be forced to play out the last year of his contract unless injuries were a significant factor.

Pretty sure Nix did according to reports. You can't hold a gun to someone's head and force them to sign though. Especially when they're gonna have a poke at the open market.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would franchise Levitre before Byrd .. which means we won't do it and he will leave --- talk about a massive hole in the center of the line.

If Andy was a Steeler or a Patriot he wouild be in the Pro Bowl BTW. He is an excellent player.

Nix should have worked this contract and Bryd's before the season ended. Typical.

What if both players did not want to sign and wait until FA starts? Plus there were reports that talks were going on with both players Guessing you didn't think of that.

In fact, the only guys they've let walk without a fight were Whitner and Poz. Clearly, they wanted to move in another direction, since they didn't even make an offer.

Let's see what happens with Levitre, but my guess is that both he and Byrd are re-signed.

And they tried signing Whitner during the season and Poz after the season.

Whitner ended up signing for less than the Bills offered him.

Poz took a very similar offer to move on.

I would franchise Levitre before Byrd .. which means we won't do it and he will leave --- talk about a massive hole in the center of the line.

If Andy was a Steeler or a Patriot he wouild be in the Pro Bowl BTW. He is an excellent player.

Care to explain why you feel this is "typical"?

Someone please show me when Nix/Whaley have failed to re-sign a FA that they wanted to keep.

Until then, I have a few examples of pending UFAs for you to consider:

Kyle Williams

Erik Pears

Stevie Johnson

Fred Jackson

Scott Chandler

Kraig Urbik

Fitzpatrick

George Wilson

Now, you may not agree that they should've paid the above, and that's fine. However, it's folly to say that they don't re-sign their own when they want to. In fact, the only guys they've let walk without a fight were Whitner and Poz. Clearly, they wanted to move in another direction, since they didn't even make an offer.

Let's see what happens with Levitre, but my guess is that both he and Byrd are re-signed.

You are right on with this post, except the Bills did make offers to both Whitner and Poz, and according to reports at the time, the offers were very comparable to what they eventually received. Both wanted to leave.

I'd rather they keep both Byrd & Levitre.

This.

Levitre is waiting to see what the offers are, while MAYBE he wants to stay here, he wants the Bills to at least match the best offer. Then again, if for example it was Green Bay or the Patriots, I would run if I was him.

To me what makes him especially valuable is he NEVER misses time. Compare that to our signing of Mark Anderson and his impact this year

Edited by MarkyMannn

And they tried signing Whitner during the season and Poz after the season.

Whitner ended up signing for less than the Bills offered him.

Poz took a very similar offer to move on.

I remembered that they had talks with Whitner, but thought he was in a different ball park, so no formal offer was made...could be wrong though.

I didn't remember Poz getting an offer at all...I must've missed that.

You are right on with this post, except the Bills did make offers to both Whitner and Poz, and according to reports at the time, the offers were very comparable to what they eventually received. Both wanted to leave.

Well, two of you can't be wrong. I must've completely missed the Poz offer, because I honestly don't remember that at all and couldn't find it on the interwebs.

I remembered that they had talks with Whitner, but thought he was in a different ball park, so no formal offer was made...could be wrong though.

I didn't remember Poz getting an offer at all...I must've missed that.

Right about Donte. Poz's was similar, but he wanted 43 while we were still entertaining the 34.

Well, two of you can't be wrong. I must've completely missed the Poz offer, because I honestly don't remember that at all and couldn't find it on the interwebs.

Whitner was offered a deal, or atleast they discussed it, but Whitner thought he was worth more and basically burned a bridge with Nix and shot them down, only to get less then he thought he was worth.

Poz I think they also talked to, but he felt he was better suited to play in the 4-3 and did not want to play in a 3-4 so he said he was going to find a 4-3 team to play for.

I think the big problem right now is the uncertainty around the coaching situation... Levitre probably won't re-sign as long as that looms. But there is time. Most likely he fields offers from other teams first, though. I don't see him getting wrapped up before that.

Well, they have until almost mid March to clear everything up in the front office and work out a deal with levitre before other teams can even express interest in signing with him. it sounds like he wants a top dollar dear and isn't going to take a discount to stay

What if both players did not want to sign and wait until FA starts? Plus there were reports that talks were going on with both players Guessing you didn't think of that.

Of course I considered that. It's Buddy Nix's job to get this done. Signing one of the two during the season would allow us to franchise the other.

Sure it is possible they both want out. It is even very probable that another team will offer them more money.

You happy with that? I am not.

Is that what Nix is paid to do? I expect him to keep our good players on the roster.

Whitner was offered a deal, or atleast they discussed it, but Whitner thought he was worth more and basically burned a bridge with Nix and shot them down, only to get less then he thought he was worth.

Poz I think they also talked to, but he felt he was better suited to play in the 4-3 and did not want to play in a 3-4 so he said he was going to find a 4-3 team to play for.

Well, they have until almost mid March to clear everything up in the front office and work out a deal with levitre before other teams can even express interest in signing with him. it sounds like he wants a top dollar dear and isn't going to take a discount to stay

There is no reason not to give it to him. He has been the picture of health, a good soldier, with borderline All Pro level play, and he can play other positions in a pinch. And he does not have to learn and adjust with a new cast of OL teammates. Continuity IS important in this case.

As far as I'm concerned, they'd be letting the best guard in the game slip through their fingers. Sure, it's a more fungible position than most, but this would be a mistake.

Levitre is a good starting left guard. Zero pro bowls, or any league honors would certainly indicate he is far from the best guard in the game though. A good one no doubt.

Not sure. WGR reported that when asked how much he'd like to be back in Buffalo on a scale of 1-10, he said "10". That's not a guy chasing top dollar as his sole priority.

All the players say they want to be back. When they say this they're as good as gone. The only way he's back with the Bills is if he's franchised. Can't blame the guy. Get the money to support your family and sign with a team that has a chance to win.

I think they can keep both Byrd and Levitre. I'd rather keep Byrd if I had to pick. Levitre may be easier to replace via the draft, ect. And we still have Wood, Glenn, etc. on the O-line. The seondary has more holes IMO. But I think we'll be able to keep both. This is just posturing and lets see who the new head coach is.