Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

Anyone know if the Rooney Rule stipulates that interviews have to be face-to-face? Could they get on the phone with Lovie Smith or Modkins for an interview today, say, and then hire Gruden tomorrow?

I realize there's a 1% chance of that scenario taking place, but just curious about it in principle.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will get some looks. I just mean they should do it in case a candidate they actually want is ready to make a decision so they don't have to wait for another guy to come in and interview. I don't mind the Rooney Rule as a general theory, it's just not handled right.

Agree 100%. Problem is that with the GM status up in the air they may lose valuable time. Who knows if Nix even went to scout the West Virginia game on Saturday with all that is going on. Ralph is not known for quick decision-making.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

To Buffalo, perhaps. But why take a dump on Kansas City and Dallas (for example)? Do the fans of those teams deserve to take a little implied shot by Buffalo's latest failed head coach? Sorry, I don't see how that's "classy" at all.

Well, he was fired the day before the season started in KC - you expect him to send flowers and candy to the Hunt family for backing him? And all he did was take that flannel-mouthed Azzwipe Jerry Jones' Cowgirls to the playoffs and he got shoved overboard. Again - you expect him to high-five the media in that town?

Chan's Grades

NFL Head Coach responsibilities

C- Selection of Coordinators and staff

C- Game-planning

D in-game adjustments (in concert with O and D coordinators)

C Team Discipline

B- Choosing who to play from roster

C- Team motivation

Offensive Coordinator responsibilities

A- Play Design

I typed this fast guys. What did i miss?

He tried to build an NFL franchise around a Second String QB instead of his premier running back CJ. He never made the bold decision to go with the better talent until he was forced to do so by injuries. Trent Edwards, and yes, Fred.

Unfortunately, poor presentation. The paragraph before this quote in that story said "Nix expressed his distaste for the Bills’ revolving door at the head-coach’s office at midseason."

Then that one is one me...

Anyone know if the Rooney Rule stipulates that interviews have to be face-to-face? Could they get on the phone with Lovie Smith or Modkins for an interview today, say, and then hire Gruden tomorrow?

I realize there's a 1% chance of that scenario taking place, but just curious about it in principle.

1% is a little high. No coach of that caliber would come to Buffalo. We are going to be stuck with another cast off like Dick or Chan.

To Buffalo, perhaps. But why take a dump on Kansas City and Dallas (for example)? Do the fans of those teams deserve to take a little implied shot by Buffalo's latest failed head coach? Sorry, I don't see how that's "classy" at all.

Good point! But maybe something happen with those teams we are unaware of....

Good pt though man....i didnt look at it that way!

Any reasonable search will satisfy any rule the NFL has.

Maybe they could just leave a voice mail. Perhaps a couple rounds of phone tag.

Submit the phone records to the league office, voila!

again??? here we go a new coaching staff a new direction. and what is the plan??? there had better be one cause if not and we get another coach in the same type of mold then we should have kept what we had cause the only difference will be another three years to see where we are....change is only good if you have a plan and course of direction plotted out already.....if there is one great! I will be in if not??? just a fan...that's what I am but only to a point ... Denver looks more like what I want in a team to pull for....even though manning is older they went out and got him...they planned the work and worked the plan and guess what? at this point I would be surprised if they are not representing the AFC in the SB...

Good point! But maybe something happen with those teams we are unaware of....

Good pt though man....i didnt look at it that way!

Again, he was fired the day before the season started in KC by Haley. You expect him to react nicely to that org when he was the first OC ever fired like that? I remember being shocked at the news - then Dick Jauron did the same thing to Fairchild (IIRC). It was an unbelievably humiliating act.

I wouldn't ever feel back about a coach's hard feelings after being let go by Jerry Jones, especially having taken that team to the playoffs.

Well, he was fired the day before the season started in KC - you expect him to send flowers and candy to the Hunt family for backing him? And all he did was take that flannel-mouthed Azzwipe Jerry Jones' Cowgirls to the playoffs and he got shoved overboard. Again - you expect him to high-five the media in that town?

It's not really that hard of a concept is it? By saying this is the only job he's ever been fired from where he will probably root for the team is clearly implying that he had negative feelings about the other jobs he was fired from. A "classy" reaction is one that accepts the outcome and moves on, without having to go into previous situations and circumstances as explanations or for comparisons. He's out in Buffalo. It's over. Is his next employer really impressed that he liked working in Buffalo more than other jobs and could be a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

PS: FWIW, from the quote from the press conference, it was made clear that Gailey was very emotional and just speaking from the heart. So, while I don't think it was the most eloquent thing man has ever said, I fully appreciate that Chan was upset at trying to just say good-bye and wouldn't hold it against him.

I would expect that the fans of those teams will likely never hear the quote, and if they do wouldn't give a crap one way or the other. You really think they will be slighted by something Gailey says on his way out of Buffalo?

Talk about looking for things to gripe about.

Getting rid of Gailey was an absolute necessity. At some point you'd have to fire him since he is an incompetent head coach (and I'm not so sure he was a great coordinator either, after all the Chiefs dumped him just before the regular season started), so whatever year period the firing starts it is better to start it now rather than one or two years down the road. Nix also needs to go. His drafts have been mediocre at best and his handling of the QB position has been atrocious.

I'm sure Gailey is a nice guy, but you have to wonder what the heck he was thinking when he said he done a turn around at two other places. His work with the Cowboys was not generally considered a success (fired after two years), nor was his tenure at Georgia Tech (again, fired after a bunch of middling seasons. He wasn't successful as a head coach ever, and aside from a decent last half of the 2010 season and a good start to the 2011 season the Bills have looked terrible under Gailey. 7-19 in the last 26 games speaks volumes about what direction Gailey was taking the Bills.

Like I said, he may be a nice guy, but praise the Lord the clown is gone as the Bills' head coach.