Broken window, what should I do?

mrags

Ok guys. Here's the scenario. Your home sick all day. You haven't left the couch with your dog except to make a grilled cheese sandwich and take the dog outside twice and the occasional bathroom break.

You hear the neighbors kids outside playing but make no big deal about it because they are always playing.

Finally around 9pm you decide to take a ride to the local McDonalds for a delicious McRibb, large fries and large Coke. You are planning on taking your puppy with you. You open the door and the drivers side window falls into the car. Glass everywhere.

There are boot prints in the driveway that are not mine and too big to be my fiancés. They seem like they belong to the neighbors teenagers.

You see them all inside at the kitchen table through the windows. You walk over and knock on the door twice with enough authority that there's no way they Didnt hear it. Nobody comes to the door. They all stay in their seats quietly.

You are almost positive it's the kids that did it but no proof. What do you do? Accuse them? Ask them? Talk to their mother? Or just let it lie and have the insurance pick up the tab? It's the principle here. On top of it I'm sick as hell and my car will probably be full of snow my morning.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the police. Who knows how they will react if you confront the kids....

you think the police really would do anything with this? What's the point? I'm just asking honestly here. It just seems like a waste if time and being out in the snow/cold for an hour while they go through my car looking for something that's not there.

Call a lawyer. The ancestors of those teenagers may have done something against your ancestors, making this a hate crime. You may also want to sue the makers of the boots that left imprints

all my ancestors live in Hungary so I doubt there is any ancestral hate crimes going on here. More like kids throwing snowballs and rocks and ice or something at each other and one of them missed by a mile.

Thanks everyone. Although I am sick and tired. I went out there to clean up the mess instead of waiting until tomorrow. Moved the car into the garage and noticed a drinking glass under the car. It sure isn't mine. I picked it up with 2 fingers and will be calling the police in the AM.

Take photos of the boot prints.

Systematically knock local kids unconscious and check their boots til you find the matching set.

i will wait up all night long with a BB gun with a scope on it like a Sniper from 6 feet inside my window and aystematically shoot the neighborhood kids in the face.

This is what we've come to now? Calling the cops on the next door neighbors teens who've broken a window? Personally, I'd talk to the parents in a friendly, non-confrontational manner, and if they were unresponsive then I'd call the cops. Calling the cops right off the bat for something this minor is a bit much, just go have a talk.

If you told me the story you originally posted and it was my kid I'd foot the bill no questions asked and then punish my son in addition to making him pay for it. Give your neighbors the chance to do it the right way too. Doing it your way might accomplish the same thing but it's a longer, harder road and you're bound to piss off people you have to live next to. Always try the friendly neighbor thing first - it's the smart move in the long run.

That's what my fiancé thinks MDH. FWIW, I agree with what you wrote. However I also feel that talking to the neighbor about it could cause confrontation. And the police involvement would handle that so I don't have to.

In the end, it's the fiancés house, not mine. She wants to have a talk with the mother about it and I'm going to do what any future husband would do, agree with his woman.

How old are the kids? Under 10? Call insurance company and let them direct u. Teen aged? Cops or go to the parents in a nonthreatening way.

Ok guys. Here's the scenario. Your home sick all day. You haven't left the couch with your dog except to make a grilled cheese sandwich and take the dog outside twice and the occasional bathroom break.

You hear the neighbors kids outside playing but make no big deal about it because they are always playing.

Finally around 9pm you decide to take a ride to the local McDonalds for a delicious McRibb, large fries and large Coke. You are planning on taking your puppy with you. You open the door and the drivers side window falls into the car. Glass everywhere.

There are boot prints in the driveway that are not mine and too big to be my fiancés. They seem like they belong to the neighbors teenagers.

You see them all inside at the kitchen table through the windows. You walk over and knock on the door twice with enough authority that there's no way they Didnt hear it. Nobody comes to the door. They all stay in their seats quietly.

You are almost positive it's the kids that did it but no proof. What do you do? Accuse them? Ask them? Talk to their mother? Or just let it lie and have the insurance pick up the tab? It's the principle here. On top of it I'm sick as hell and my car will probably be full of snow my morning.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks

How old are the kids? Under 10? Call insurance company and let them direct u. Teen aged? Cops or go to the parents in a nonthreatening way.

they are teenagers. Middle to older teens. I'm sure they did it. No purposely, but I'm sure they did it.

When I was cleaning up last night, 2 of them or thier friends came out to take a walk somewhere. I asked them: "you guys know anything about my window being broken?"

"No Sir! No Sir!"

Teenagers only talk to adults that way when they know they've done something wrong. That's what I would have done as a kid. I used to think I was slick, now I can see how my mom knew I was lying to her.

If u are friendly with them and your insurance covers it I would discuss it civily and neighborly with the kids and avoid involving the parents if they own up to it...

they are teenagers. Middle to older teens. I'm sure they did it. No purposely, but I'm sure they did it.

When I was cleaning up last night, 2 of them or thier friends came out to take a walk somewhere. I asked them: "you guys know anything about my window being broken?"

"No Sir! No Sir!"

Teenagers only talk to adults that way when they know they've done something wrong. That's what I would have done as a kid. I used to think I was slick, now I can see how my mom knew I was lying to her.

If u are friendly with them and your insurance covers it I would discuss it civily and neighborly with the kids and avoid involving the parents if they own up to it...

insurance does cover it. Of course I'm windowless until Friday because my window is a special ordered part and won't get in until Wednesday.

As I said, they denied having any knowledge about it but I'm almost positive they do know what happened. A talk with the mother is the next step. We are friendly and I'm sure they won't get in trouble too much. At this point it's more about having the kids learn a lesson and to "Stay off my lawn" than anything else.

This is what we've come to now? Calling the cops on the next door neighbors teens who've broken a window?

I'm actually more shocked about everyone saying "just make insurance pay for it." Why should insurance cover it when the kids are at fault? That just increases everyone's premiums. Take responsibility.

(I'm not saying you don't agree with it - just pointing out what part of the thread I was shocked at).

Yes I have full glass. It's just that this is the 2nd time in about 5 months I'd be doing this. As a rock came up and cracked my windshield this summer.

Also, i think the kids need to learn some kind of lesson here.

That is what I was afraid of. Driving the Jeep with an almost straight up windshield... I get nicks and dings all the time on the highway. The worse one is on the passenger side and is starting to migrate across the windshield... I am not gonna change it out until it gets really bad! I put a new windshield in and that will just start the whole process over again!

Good luck.. I know you don't want to make to many claims!

I'm actually more shocked about everyone saying "just make insurance pay for it." Why should insurance cover it when the kids are at fault? That just increases everyone's premiums. Take responsibility.

(I'm not saying you don't agree with it - just pointing out what part of the thread I was shocked at).

Yeah... But good luck getting them to fess up and shell out what? 100's of dollars IF not more. How are you gonna get blood outta a stone... In many cases? Path of least resistance may be the insurance company... I know, I know, not the ideal way. BUT, nobody saw what happened except the guilty party.

Do what you can to get the kids to your car. It may be difficult and you may need to get their parents involved but do what you can. Stand there and look at the broken window, look at the kids, look at the window, look at the kids. Whoever speaks first loses. DON'T SAY A WORD!

The cop looked at me and laughed and said, "what do you think this is? CSI?"

I remember years ago... We go downtown to Navy Pier, Christmas time and they got the "Winter WonderLand" thing going in the Grand Ballroom... Jump houses galore and ice skating rink... So the kids are running around, jump house to jump house and as they go they take off their shoes/sneakers... Well some little snot must have decide to "upgrade" his sneakers... They take my son's sneakers and replace them with his own gangy one's. No mistake either, they replace a badly beaten pair of Nikes with a brand new pair of New Balances! LoL... The little dude was traumatized! No way was he gonna go home and trudge through the snow in somebody's beaters!

Anyway... To make a long story short, we go up to a Chicago police officer and explain the situation. You know what he said: "Just find somebody else's nice pair and switch them." !! OMG, did he just say that? WTF? LoL. Anway, the little dude trudged home through the snow in the Nike beaters! I did everything in the world to keep calm and share my bananas.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Flip side of that argument:

We are assuming the kids probably did it. Have no proof. Will have to continue living next door, etc....

Further, when its a kids will be kids situation I hate to involve police as they can at times be a total wildcard.

I'd say mention the incident to mom in a non-confrontational, non-accusatory and move on to insurance pretty quickly.

Go over and talk to parents and kids.... Make sure to make it clear that your next call is to the police. They might fess up, they might not, at least when its all over you'll have a police report for your insurance company and the neighbor hood kids will be on notice that you'll call the cops on them if it happens again.

What are these kids parents like? If this was my parents when I was a kid my mom would have gotten the confession out of me and my friends in no time flat.

If the parents are cooperative, have a little fun, split them up into different rooms and start the interviews. Tell each one that the other one said they did it. Believe me, you'll get to the bottom of it pretty quick.

Flip side of that argument:

We are assuming the kids probably did it. Have no proof. Will have to continue living next door, etc....

Further, when its a kids will be kids situation I hate to involve police as they can at times be a total wildcard.

I'd say mention the incident to mom in a non-confrontational, non-accusatory and move on to insurance pretty quickly.

Exactly.

What's the odds, in the future, they shovel your driveway or mow your lawn. Yeah right, silly me.

So classic, and so frustrating.

The cops don't care when a $150 pair of shoes is stolen, but if you look at a cop the wrong way, you'll get cited for disorderly conduct.

Chicago - Not known for the best cops...... Also, any big city is going to have a lot of cops who are burned out and useless. They have been slaves to the 911 system for too long.

At the same time, there are plenty of good cops who will help you out in a minute and really care about doing the right thing.

Chicago - Not known for the best cops...... Also, any big city is going to have a lot of cops who are burned out and useless. They have been slaves to the 911 system for too long.

At the same time, there are plenty of good cops who will help you out in a minute and really care about doing the right thing.

Exactly... I agree w/both you and what you guys said. And they really weren't that much... Maybe, if that, 50 bucks @ Kohl's. I was just floored by what he said... I never even thought about it! I got reminded of this story when I read that mrags was carefully picking up the intact drinking glass he found under the car (as to save it for prints)...

Again, this story is more about the path to least resistance more than anything.

Oh... And JR, they technically were not "stolen"... They were "traded." LoL... :wallbash:;)

First of all there are practicalities involved.

You need your window fixed ASAP in this weather so that ball has to start rolling (and apparently it has). Also these are your neighbors so obviously you want to maintain civility at all times for the sake of the long term.

Also I'm guessing it's an expensive window so you're not gonna get financial compensation from the neighbors.

This means that it's an insurance job.

However there's still the matter of the Mom and kids (no Dad?) next door. You DON'T circumvent the Mom. She is their legal guardian and they are the legal wards. You have to approach her. Do so with the drinking glass. Explain to her the story. The noise of the kids playing outside, the silence, the discovery of the broken window, you knocking at the door and being totally ignored by the kids, the discovery of the glass.

It kinda sounds like an incident of underage drinking while Mom was gone. Let her know the situation and ask her if she can talk to the kids about it. Let her know you're concerned that your insurance premium is gonna go up (I don't know whether this is true). Tell her that anyways. Don't be accusatory. Some parents get VERY DEFENSIVE to the point of being offensive and stick up for their kids even when the kids are wrong. It's a common error in parenting I see quite often. If you sense a conflict is arising, abort mission.

The best you might hope for is a confession and an apology. If you're lucky you might even get a "sorry gift."

But you did your part by keeping Mom in the loop and keeping the kids accountable. They know what to expect from you as you've laid down a clear (if forgiving) boundary.

That's about all you can do.

So classic, and so frustrating.

The cops don't care when a $150 pair of shoes is stolen, but if you look at a cop the wrong way, you'll get cited for disorderly conduct.

Shocking that cops don't have more sympathy for people who buy kids $150 sneakers.

What are they supposed to do, open a case file and assign a detective to every stolen car or pair of shoes? Good grief, we'd need about 20 million cops.

Shocking that cops don't have more sympathy for people who buy kids $150 sneakers.

What are they supposed to do, open a case file and assign a detective to every stolen car or pair of shoes? Good grief, we'd need about 20 million cops.

LoL. I didn't really know what to expect when I asked... Just not his reply. LoL...Maybe there was a rash of these "upgrades?" LoL...

one thing missing from this discussion is pics of the mom...

As I spit laughing!