Broken window, what should I do?

mrags

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there are good cops; but in my experience dealing with law enforcement, most of the cops I have dealt with are either unhelpful or meatheads.

I think a lot of them are jaded and/or have become cynical.

That said, there are longtime law enforcement guys who maintain a good healthy attitude also. I think part of it depends on the individual.

Becoming jaded/cynical is the path of least resistance. It takes a person of convictions to retain some degree of idealism.

One has to make the effort every day and not just give in to the travails of life and/or simple peer pressure.

edit: I used to manage a restaurant that gave half price to Buffalo cops so I've gotten to know quite a few cops.

Even some of the older ones were good guys who hadn't let their attitudes deteriorate.

But also for some, being cynical is a coping mechanism for what is a very stressful job. I think that the ability to laugh at things makes it easier for them to cope.

I think a lot of them are jaded and/or have become cynical.

That said, there are longtime law enforcement guys who maintain a good healthy attitude also. I think part of it depends on the individual.

Becoming jaded/cynical is the path of least resistance. It takes a person of convictions to retain some degree of idealism.

One has to make the effort every day and not just give in to the travails of life and/or simple peer pressure.

Ooops, sorry to open this can of worms... Nothing against the cop, just thought it was kinda awkward... LoL My wife warned me to not go up to him and pester him... I shoulda listened! But, do I ever? :wallbash:

No can of worms. Just my observations.

I hear ya... Again, I read where mrags was thinking he was going toget prints and I heard my wife in the back of my head: "What would they be doing that for, we got insurance."

The poor boy got over it walking back to the car in those beaters, now way was I gonna cary him a 1/2 mile! The minute he got in the car, off the went! LoL...

@mrags: Hope you get your window fixed to your satisfaction! If it is a door... Just put a clear garbage bag over it and close the door! Of course, drive it down the road... You will look like a real badazz! For effect, you can cut a slit in it and and use a duct tape! Bam! Instant roll/flop down window! Put a couple of those bullet hole magnets on the door below the window!

Hey Exiled, I must be in one of those moods where I'm not localizing the discussion to the discussion.

As far as these "misfortunes" go (broken windows, stolen sneakers, etc) I recall when a wealthy daughter of a former Buffalo pro sports team walked into the liquor store I use to work at and said "some guy just went fish-tailing down Elmwood and hit about five cars and took off. I feel SO SORRY FOR THOSE PEOPLE."

My thought at the time was "so sorry?" Their car got hit. No one was injured. They have insurance. You're rich."

How about people with real misfortunes?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I hear ya... Again, I read where mrags was thinking he was going toget prints and I heard my wife in the back of my head: "What would they be doing that for, we got insurance."

The poor boy got over it walking back to the car in those beaters, now way was I gonna cary him a 1/2 mile! The minute he got in the car, off the went! LoL...

@mrags: Hope you get your window fixed to your satisfaction! If it is a door... Just put a clear garbage bag over it and close the door! Of course, drive it down the road... You will look like a real badazz! For effect, you can cut a slit in it and and use a duct tape! Bam! Instant roll/flop down window! Put a couple of those bullet hole magnets on the door below the window!

nothing like an 07' Mercedes Benz with plastic bags for windows covered with duct tape.

Lol. It's garages for now. Window was special order, won't be in until at least Wednesday.

Hey Exiled, I must be in one of those moods where I'm not localizing the discussion to the discussion.

As far as these "misfortunes" go (broken windows, stolen sneakers, etc) I recall when a wealthy daughter of a former Buffalo pro sports team walked into the liquor store I use to work at and said "some guy just went fish-tailing down Elmwood and hit about five cars and took off. I feel SO SORRY FOR THOSE PEOPLE."

My thought at the time was "so sorry?" Their car got hit. No one was injured. They have insurance. You're rich."

How about people with real misfortunes?

True. So true! Though... Maybe she was feeling sorry for the inconveinence. I mean when you stuff gets messed with, it kinda gets you all feeling vulnerable.

nothing like an 07' Mercedes Benz with plastic bags for windows covered with duct tape.

Lol. It's garages for now. Window was special order, won't be in until at least Wednesday.

Gangsta style! Anyway, only one piece of duct tape... To open and close the slit in the bag while you are on the road (making that McRib Run) and in need of some fresh air (because the delicious smell of the McRib overcame you)! :P

Got an update mrags?

ive been sicker and sicker since that day. No conversation with the mother yet. Took the car in today to have the "crash glass" which is really just a fancy way of saying Saran Wrap on the window. The guy told me it should hold pretty good but by the time I made it home (4 miles while driving no faster than 45mph) the front part just behind the mirror started to peel off. And they told me it would be suitable for highway driving.

They also originally told me that the glass had to be special ordered and there was only 1 available in the country at the moment. Apparently the blue tinted Meecedes glass isn't a highly stocked item. Well, since then, they told me they'd have to call me back because it might not be in until next week sometime. I never got a call back so at this point I'm hoping it will still be here on time for Friday before I have to drive 2 hours on the 90 to work come Saturday morning. If it doesn't happen like that, then maybe I can B word about something and feel the satisfaction of making someone cry for not doing thier job correctly. Time will tell.

Crash glass? Ha! Did I not tell you: Clear trash bags and if you want to get fancy, some duct tap to make it "open." Put the bag right over the door and close! No way is coming undone, it is "two paned." :-P Get fancy with the duct tape... That is why they nickname it "100 mile an hour tape." DO NOT go over 100 mph, I can't be responsible when you go over that number... :-P :-P

Oh... Keep a few spare bags in the glove box... ;-) :-)

ive been sicker and sicker since that day. No conversation with the mother yet. Took the car in today to have the "crash glass"

So too sick to talk to the mother or the police, but you can drive to get new glass...?

Seems to me that you're lost your window of opportunity.

So too sick to talk to the mother or the police, but you can drive to get new glass...?

Seems to me that you're lost your window of opportunity.

the glass needed to be taken care of our of necessity. No other way to get around in the event of an emergency, in need of food, Etc...

I won't be calling the police as I stated earlier and I can alway talk to the mother. She's right next door and is always friendly. I still have the drinking glass so in the event that it belongs to them it's proof they did it anyway.

Regardless, I'm not interested in making them pay for it. My insurance covers it anyway. I just want them to know that I know they did it and to "stay off my lawn!!!"

the glass needed to be taken care of our of necessity. No other way to get around in the event of an emergency, in need of food, Etc...

I won't be calling the police as I stated earlier and I can alway talk to the mother. She's right next door and is always friendly. I still have the drinking glass so in the event that it belongs to them it's proof they did it anyway.

Regardless, I'm not interested in making them pay for it. My insurance covers it anyway. I just want them to know that I know they did it and to "stay off my lawn!!!"

"hey, found this - any chance its yours? just wanted to make sure it made it back to its home."

Thanks for increasing my insurance premiums, appreciate it. :(

(although realistically, they probably could've had THEIR insurance pay it, which indirectly impacts everyone anyway, so... I guess that's just the way of the world...)

(although realistically, they probably could've had THEIR insurance pay it, which indirectly impacts everyone anyway, so... I guess that's just the way of the world...)

i honestly don't care about your insurance premiums. If you had to take care of a window in the middle of winter with rain/sleet/snow every night you wouldn't care about anyone else's either. And I don't know you personally however I do know my neighbor and I'd probably be more inclined to help her save a few hundred dollars than save you $5 dollars a year in insurance raises that would have raised anyway regardless if I made a claim or not. Just saying.

Your welcome for the increase. It helps stimulate the economy.

I understand the "i have to live next to them" premise, but the same goes for your neighbors.... they have to live next to you. If someone in your household broke one of their windows, you would take responsibility for it, because you have to live next to them. I used to be passive in situations like this as well, and i'm not advocating flying off the handle about it, but your neighbors didn't do the right thing. You don't want to cause waves with them, but they don't seem to mind causing waves with you.

Only I can't be certain they did it. There is no proof. Only speculation. Hell, in really cold conditions, windows have broken on thier own. It's possible.

At this point, I'm not making excuses, I still think they did it. I will still comment to the mother. But I will not, nor was I ever going to seek anything from them other than an apology.

Only I can't be certain they did it. There is no proof. Only speculation. Hell, in really cold conditions, windows have broken on thier own. It's possible.

At this point, I'm not making excuses, I still think they did it. I will still comment to the mother. But I will not, nor was I ever going to seek anything from them other than an apology.

So why the hell did you start a thread asking what you should do? :wallbash:

So why the hell did you start a thread asking what you should do? :wallbash:

i guess I was looking for opinions on how I should handle the situation with the neighbors. Either way I wasn't going to ask for thier money to pay for it. That's why I have insurance. But I would have liked thier apology I suppose. Some kind of "owning up to it" I guess.

Apparently I started a thread for nothing. Please everyone forgive me in wasting your time and go back to your Russ Brandon sucks and Ralph Wilson should just die already threads.

Either way I wasn't going to ask for thier money to pay for it. That's why I have insurance.

What do you do? Accuse them? Ask them? Talk to their mother? Or just let it lie and have the insurance pick up the tab?

:lol:

:lol:

wow. You pulled out my quote from the start of the thread that I posted 8 minutes after I found out what happened and was severely pissed about it.

Congrats. You made me out to look like a liar and an @$$hole.

Feel better?

I know I'd feel better about myself that's for sure.

FWIW, I did find the glass afterwards. I did comment to the kids and they denied it. And I did already contact my insurance and Safelite. So the only left to do is ask thier mother and being as sick as I've been I've held off in that part.

Edited by mrags

wow. You pulled out my quote from the start of the thread that I posted 8 minutes after I found out what happened and was severely pissed about it.

Congrats. You made me out to look like a liar and an @$$hole.

Feel better?

I know I'd feel better about myself that's for sure.

FWIW, I did find the glass afterwards. I did comment to the kids and they denied it. And I did already contact my insurance and Safelite. So the only left to do is ask thier mother and being as sick as I've been I've held off in that part.

Not trying to make you out to be a liar -- just don't understand why, when you had your mind made up from the beginning, you'd be asking people what you should do is all. In fact, I don't think that makes you a liar at all. No need to get all testy with your comments though. :)

Not trying to make you out to be a liar -- just don't understand why, when you had your mind made up from the beginning, you'd be asking people what you should do is all. In fact, I don't think that makes you a liar at all. No need to get all testy with your comments though. :)

i guess I was looking for advise and the advise I got was I should either call the police (which I didn't want to do) or talk to the mother (which I still plan on doing).

I thank everyone for thier suggestions even if I haven't used them.

FWIW, I was extremely sick. Probably more sick than I've been in over 3+ years. Could barely speak to the point that even my fiancé couldn't understand me most of the time. Speaking to my neighbor like this would have been more of a hassle than anything.

I recently had my windshield replaced, it was cracked due to age, and filed a claim with my insurance company. Does that bother you also?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Aren't we being little anal retentive? :P

As some have stated... It is NYS... You live in MINN? Right? Anyway, he carries full glass... He is not blowing anybody else outta the water makinig 2 claims in under a year!

Not nearly as much as if he had seen the bill my homeowners insurance is paying on my boiler fire. I should just eat the claim so no ones premium goes up. :rolleyes::lol:

yeah. In the middle of winter. I expect you to just save up to buy a new boiler/furnace. Should only be somewhere between 2-4K I'm guessing. In the winter, with freezing cold conditions, I'm sure your family will be fine.

LoL... Years ago winter camping... I remember my friend in the back of another friend's father's car... He was making faces @ somebody from the inside of the car and one dude chucked a snowball @ the window! Boy did that window shatter into a 1000 pieces! I guess they make side and rear windows the same way as they did 25 years ago... POS Plymouth Duster to boot! LoL

Come to think about it, I am sure insurance covered it that many years ago too! Oh the horror of filing a glass claim!

yeah. In the middle of winter. I expect you to just save up to buy a new boiler/furnace. Should only be somewhere between 2-4K I'm guessing. In the winter, with freezing cold conditions, I'm sure your family will be fine.

More like 50K with the structural damage. I am bankrupting future generations with this selfish claim.