Polian or Whaley

I've read posts asking for Nix's ousting and promoting Whaley. I, for one, am a Buddy Nix fan and think he should stay awhile. I like how he is building the team from the inside out. The roster is a lot better than it was under Donahoe and Levy's tenure. However, if I had my choice of GM's other than Buddy I would have to choose Bill Polian over Doug Whaley. Polian has built championship teams. Polian has the respect of the NFL and would bring respectability back to the Bills. Polian would/could bring a top rated head coach to the city. And first and foremost Polian knows QBs.

No let's debate who would you rather have Polian or Whaley?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should something happen I'd be more than fine with Polian as VP of Football Operations even if that meant Whaley was gone as well. Presumably Whaley hasn't been a wallflower around OBD and has some culpability for our dreadful drafts and misguided FA acquisitions such as Mark Anderson and the insane trade for Tarvaris Jackson.

Ralph may have the rare opportunity to right one of his many wrongs by bringing Polian back in as CEO like Parcells in Dallas/Miami...get the house in order with a new coach and personnel and hand the team over to a new GM..Maybe Whaley. I think one challenge is that Polian would want his son Chris involved, and the book on him is that he blows....The other obstacle is that teams like San Diego, Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland and KC may also be seeking his services...But his heart is in Buffalo-so we may have a leg up..

I would be happy with Polian or Whaley....but I am not one of those who thinks Nix necessarily deserves to be fired...unless he intends to bring Gailey back, of course.

In the end though, the idea of Whaley kind of excites me more than the other options. Of course, there is no proof that he would be any better than what we have had for a while, but I really think this team could use an infusion of youth from the top end.

Of course, Polian is a great name from our past, but there is some evidence out there that he wasn't really on top of his game the last few years in Indianapolis. To me, brigning him back would be contingent on how much power he would want to hand over to his son...as GM, or VP of Football Operations, I would be fine...but not a Chris Polian as GM deal.

Edited by Buftex

Polian

He's too old guys - have you seen him interviewed recently? He was handing the Colts to his son which is a big part of why they fired him.

I'm not talking "age" (or age discrimination) here guys - I'm talking about you can tell he's slowing down - a lot.

Yeah - he WAS an awesome GM. Right now there's nothing to discuss regarding Polian.

I'd not have a problem with Polian coming back, although I think Nix has done an admirable job (with the exception of hiring Nix, and his QB evaluations). However, if I had to choose between Polian for 3-5 years, and Whaley for 5-10 years, I think Whaley might prove to be the better option. It'd be a super nice situation of Polian could come in as a sort of VP of Football Op's, and keep Whaley and Nix together, and just bring in a new coaching staff. I just don't want to lose Whaley - I think he was a very shrewd pick up by Nix, and I believe he'll prove to be a good GM for years to come.

When people mention Polian to Buffalo the first thought that comes to my mind is that he'd no doubt go after that Canadian Football League coach, Mark Trestman. I don't even know why I think that, but it just comes to mind.

He's too old guys - have you seen him interviewed recently? He was handing the Colts to his son which is a big part of why they fired him.

I'm not talking "age" (or age discrimination) here guys - I'm talking about you can tell he's slowing down - a lot.

Yeah - he WAS an awesome GM. Right now there's nothing to discuss regarding Polian.

I believe that he realizes that at this stage of his life he could not do the all consuming GM job again. What I think he was looking for was to be hired by a franchise as a consultant type job. Bill Polian has had a good run with Buffalo and Indianapolis. Doing commentary on other people's decisions is the right profession for him to be in at this stage of his life. The Bills need to look forward, not backward. The hiring of Buddy Nix was a backward type of move that got us 15-31 record with only one victory against a winning team in his almost three year stint.

I am not saying Polian is good or bad but..... what GM would look bad with the first pick in the draft and seeing Peyton Manning standing there. What else has he done for the team. Indy has not had a good running back. Peyton made the receivers. Defense was average at best. Feeney who he drafted the only star. Remove Manning from Indy, they are a .500 team and Polian may have been gone a long time ago.

Look at Denver - now a Super Bowl favorite according to many people with one major change from last year. Manning in for Tebow.

If Polian could get us a quarterback rated in the top 10, I say bring him on. Stevie Johnson would have 125 catches with a good QB and think every day is Christmas.

The notion that Polian "knows QBs" is such a ridiculous comment. Jim Kelly was technically already a Bill when he took over the GM duties. He also drafted Kerry Collins with the 5th overall pick with the Carolina Panthers and everybody "knew" Peyton Manning was going to be good.

Give the keys to Whaley.

Bringing in Bill Polian as a front office consultant would definitely set off some red flags if I were a potential candidate for the GM position. The GM shouldn't really have another personnel person looking over his shoulder.

Should something happen I'd be more than fine with Polian as VP of Football Operations even if that meant Whaley was gone as well. Presumably Whaley hasn't been a wallflower around OBD and has some culpability for our dreadful drafts and misguided FA acquisitions such as Mark Anderson and the insane trade for Tarvaris Jackson.

Judging by the draft luncheons, it seems Whaley oversees a lot of the college scouting process now. He usually is the one who speaks about specific prospects. But as assistant GM, I doubt he has any real clout. When it comes down to it, its likely a decision made by Buddy/Chan with recommendations by Whaley and the scouts. So without knowing specifics, we cant know how culpalble Whaley would be.

For all we know, he could have been preaching Dalton/Kaepernick at 34 and Chan and Buddy thought CB was a bigger need. Same with the Troup (Gronk) pick. I give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Innocent until proven guilty.

Why bring in an old man past his prime? He missed on a lot of draft picks recently -- Jerry Hughes anybody? and 99% of his success can be attributed to Peyton Manning's genius. Just look at what Manning has done to turn around Denver, suddenly the Broncos are superbowl contenders -- but I guess that is because of Polian, too???

Of course, Bills fans want Marv Levy as GM, Thurman Thomas as OC, and Jim Kelly as headcoach. All brilliant choices. Polian would hire his son as his assistant GM (nepotism), which shows a great leadership quality.

I still laugh to remember how excited most Bills fans were when Ralph hired Marv as the GM -- back to the glory days. I'm sure Polian would produce a similar result. It's astounding how Bills fans can't think ahead, only back to the glory days of the early 90s. Sad.

Whaley would be a progressive and bold choice for a GM, which is why the Bills will lever let it happen. Bring in some old guy instead!

at this stage in the game i would like to see doug whaley elevated to the gm job. he is young and has aquired a enough experience between his time in buffalo and pittsburgh. i have no idea if he would be good, bad, or otherwise. but knowing he is more an up-and-comer rather than someone elses castaway, it seems like it could bring a new infusion of energy, perspective and drive.