Does Nix have any clue what he is doing? going after QB

Bronc24

The draft's over 4 months away. I still want to get through these last 3 games before I start worrying about this stuff. Should be an interesting off season though ...

i agree on all counts.

The nfl GMs knew we wanted a QB last year and they know we Must get at least one this year from draft and possible trade.

No great news here. Just trying to setlle us down i suppose

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has confidence in these guys to pick a francise qb given their track record is delusional. How about a QB who acts like he cares when we lose instead of gladhanding his old buddies with the oposing team (in the latest case, Rams) with a smile!!

If they make a pick and it works it will be an accident. More likely we'll have to suffer another 3 years before they realize they have another stiff. Then we can rebuild again.

Why don't you try to trade for Kurt Cousins. Washington has to believe they that RGIII is the real deal now and they can get something back for the asset they drafted afterwards. They have no first round pick for the next two seasons, perhaps a 2 and a conditional pick could get it done. Especially since everyone above us in the draft will now ask for the moon knowing we are desperate to get a QB

Rob Johnson is the reason you don't do it.

I dissagree with alot of the replys here. I believe that before Nix got here we had a ton of needs and no depth. Now we has some needs and some depth. Willing to give him a couple more drafts to continue to make the changes. While im not willing to say that Gailey is a great coach I will say that if he brings in a offence coach that has a run plan so that Chan can consetrate more on decisions at game time. Look around the league and really study it out. There are not any top teir teams that the coach also holds offence or defence play duties durring the game. If that is changed I am willing to see what happens another year.

I'm not sure if you mean that as a compliment.

Sure I do. Warren Moon was a very accurate quarterback, however not uber mobile, in my opinion. I do believe Geno Smith has the tools to be a very successful NFL quarterback, and I can see Ryan's comparisons to Warren Moon. I think he is more mobile than Moon though...

I dissagree with alot of the replys here. I believe that before Nix got here we had a ton of needs and no depth. Now we has some needs and some depth. Willing to give him a couple more drafts to continue to make the changes. While im not willing to say that Gailey is a great coach I will say that if he brings in a offence coach that has a run plan so that Chan can consetrate more on decisions at game time. Look around the league and really study it out. There are not any top teir teams that the coach also holds offence or defence play duties durring the game. If that is changed I am willing to see what happens another year.

While I am calling for everyone's head I agree with your post. Unfortunately, Nix runs the team and that includes the Head Coach. The HC controls the team and that includes the playcalls and the play of the QB. The playcalls and the QB are not good to say the least.

So with all that said, Chan should change the QB or at least call plays to the teams strengths but he doesn't, so FO that reason Chan should be fired. If Chan is not fired, Buddy is accepting his incompetence and the 2nd worst record in the NFL over the last 3 years. A feat not even passed by Dick Juron or Mike Mularkey.

So if Buddy is sure in keeping Chan, he needs to go too. Fire everyone I say.

It's not that I don't think we're headed in the right direction. I do. The problem is, no matter what, no matter who we get. We could have Tom Brady or Payton Manning back there, I still think Chan will find ways to lose games when it comes down to it. And for that reason I want him gone. If Buddy won't do it, he needs to go too.

I sure would have liked Cousins for a 4th rounder and I was really bummed when the Redskins took him - but how much would you give up for him now though? Surely not a 1st?

His stock can't have risen but so much. Sure, he's played well in the limited action he's seen, but the guy's only got 11 pass attempts on his NFL resume.

One year AFTER the best QB class since 2004...OF COURSE the time is now to find a new QB. In reading up on the draft sites, it doesn't sound like there's cause to get excited about anyone, especially in the 1st round.

I hope Buddy doesn't go crazy and trade up for a guy like Matt Barkley. I know I've been awfully negative lately, but it sure seems like a mismanagement of the draft. It seems like I'm always wishing we did the OTHER thing. When are the Bills gonna hit on a pick??

Why don't you try to trade for Kurt Cousins. Washington has to believe they that RGIII is the real deal now and they can get something back for the asset they drafted afterwards. They have no first round pick for the next two seasons, perhaps a 2 and a conditional pick could get it done. Especially since everyone above us in the draft will now ask for the moon knowing we are desperate to get a QB

Washington is not going to trade Kirk Cousins. As good as RG3 has been, he's been getting hit a lot. They need a good backup because, if RG3 doesn't change, their starter will be missing games like Vick every year.

Ugh. No. Last year was the year for a QB. this years class is uninspiring.

We'll have to wait and see about that...There is talent in this class...Big time arms, and big play ability...Judging an entire QB class before they even get to the Combine is the definition of premature...I'll let the process play out before I make any blanket judgments ..I can all-but guarantee there will be at least a couple QB's in this class that become regular starters...Many of these Kids have very good arms and smarts...Some come from Pro-style Offenses...I know they may not be the best examples, but certainly no one thought Brady, Brees, or even Rodgers were going to be as good as they turned out to be...There is some luck involved in the Kid you take...But I think there will be a good one...or two...or maybe even more in this Draft...I really do... B-)

Ugh. No. Last year was the year for a QB. this years class is uninspiring.

The class lacks elite guys at the top, but surely there are prospects of Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson and Foles caliber, and seemingly more of them. Edited by Carey Bender

Just because Boss Hogg [Nix] says if they're gonna move up in the draft to get a QB, it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with in the first round. If Boss Hogg can draft a WR-QB combo like they did in Cincinnati, then that would be great. The main thing is Boss Hogg can't draft another bust like Losman & Edwards, otherwise it will set the Bills back many years...again. After 13 years of missing the playoffs, patience is beyond worn thin with this organization.

One year AFTER the best QB class since 2004...OF COURSE the time is now to find a new QB. In reading up on the draft sites, it doesn't sound like there's cause to get excited about anyone, especially in the 1st round.

I hope Buddy doesn't go crazy and trade up for a guy like Matt Barkley. I know I've been awfully negative lately, but it sure seems like a mismanagement of the draft. It seems like I'm always wishing we did the OTHER thing. When are the Bills gonna hit on a pick??

While I like a few prospect QB's in this Draft, Barkley is not really one of them...I don't think he's a 1st Round QB prospect...Though I will say the kid showed me a TON of toughness this year...Watch that Stanford game...He's got absolutely mauled in that game and kept bouncing back...It's tough to 100% evaluate Barkley's Sr season because of that USC O-Line and the fact that he was facing some big-time pressure WAY too often...Still...I'm not crazy about Barkley's arm, athletic ability, or his size...I'd rather see The Bills pass on him...We'll see... B-)

The class lacks elite guys at the top, but surely there are prospects of Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson and Foles caliber, and seemingly more of them.

I agree whole heartedly. The idea that last year was the year ignores the fact that we never had a chance at either of the two guys that made last year "the year". The Colts weren't trading their pick, and Dan Snyder wasn't going to be outbid, not to mention he had a highter pick to bargain with last year.

I think Buddy's right on here and is doing a good job of putting together a good team built on a strong foundation.

I do believe Geno Smith has the tools to be a very successful NFL quarterback, and I can see Ryan's comparisons to Warren Moon. I think he is more mobile than Moon though...

Agreed...

I like Smith a ton...And despite the fact that some want to push him down the board a bit, which would be awesome for The Bills, I don't see it happening...In the end I just don't believe you complete 71% of your passes in major College Football by accident...Smith is known to be a Football junkie who prepares extremely well, works hard, and is smart...His arm is more than adequate, and I think he'll show at the Combine that he is a pretty decent athlete...Sure he's not a prospect on the level of Luck...But who is? And Luck is not in the 2013 Draft anyway...I think for all these reasons, and more, Smith still ends up going #1 overall...A Team like KC simply cannot afford to pass on Smith and be wrong...Though I hope they, and a few others, do... ;)

This is from the comments section and exactly what I thought he meant when I read it:

He’s not talking about moving to the top part of the draft, he’s talking about probably the tail end of the first round…

“there’s a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback,”

At that point it’s a fairly low risk move and may be worth it. Guys like Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, and Matt Barkley are worth the risk there. These are guys that would have been top 10 picks had they come out last year.

It looks like a trade back into the late part of round 1 to jump ahead of qb needy teams at the top of round 2. It sounds like (of this is what he actually means) exactly what I would want them to do.

The problem with the above is that it's unlikely Barkley will still be available late in the first round. There are a lot of quarterback-needy teams out there. The tendency will be for QBs to go earlier than expected.

http://www.nfl.com/n...for-qb-in-draft

I can't believe he announced to the league we are gonna move up and take a qb.

I just don't see any reason to announce this. Now all the teams in the league know what we are gonna be looking to do.

That makes it easier for teams to demand a kings ransom for us to move up

Deflates fitz if we have to stick with him next year

And it maks it so the fan base will demand blood if for whatever reason they can't move up.

So, what could go wrong? B-)

In my eyes nix has done a GREAT job improving this team. The record might not show it right now but the problem is the coach and QB. Nix went out and got Mario and Anderson (Two of the too DE in FA) and that's something no other GM would of done here in Buffalo. Just about everyone thought we had a legit QB in Fitz when we started 5-1 a season ago and so did Nix. He thought he would better the team around him to see if he would take his game to the next level but that hasn't worked and Nix isn't stupid and knows its time for a new QB. O-line and D-line is a lot better and he has even said plenty of times on GR that their are positions on this team that needs upgrades. Can't blame Nix on our pathetic coach because what other choice did he have? He try to bring in a big name coach but they didn't want to come to Buffalo. Is that his fault? Nope! Is it his fault the bills have a bad rep? Nope! But he sure changed things by bringing in Mario and even taking a chance with Shawne (that has been a big influence in bringing in some other FAs). Nix is also not going to go on air and throw his coach under the bus.

Nix has done a damn great job and like him as a GM. Let him finish and fine a QB and see how things will change. But I do see better talent on this team but Gailey blows!

Give some damn credit to Nix.

Buddy has stated in his Friday interviews on WGR that it wasn't the right time to draft a QB without a good team to surround him. He said a young QB on a bad team you could hurt his development.

I also feel they needed to see what they had in Fitz. Nix is makng the right moves.

Gailey on the other hand is a whole different story. But I think its fair to give him a shot with an actual QB next year and see how much progress is being made. I truly don't believe he trusts Fitz anymore even though he says it. Whos going to throw their qb under the bus? A smart coach wouldn't. Is there really a right way to say "We need to find Fitz's replacement because we know he can't get us to the show playing like he has lately."

One other thing. Regarding the moving up a round in the draft. I also recall him mentioning something along the lines of. "QB's usually get selected one round higher than they should so if you like a guy you take him a round early."

Could that possibly be what he means instead of actually moving? Either way we know Nix isn't opposed to moving a little bit. So what's the fuss? Nows the best time to get a QB and I trust that's what he's going to do. But he will stick to his board.

Nix is the man. I also think he doesn't want to worry Gailey with his job but I'm confident trusting his evaluation prowess.

Edited by DukeyBomb

I suspect that somehow, without trading up at all, Buddy & the Bills will be in the right position and ultimately end up drafting Matt Barkley in round one, or - if Barkley's off the board when we pick - Manti T'eo in round one, then grab Landry Jones in round two. JMO.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

12 and 8 baby!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I have descent faith in Nix. It's Chan I don't have faith in. And honestly, if Nix decides to keep Chan after his past 3 years of suck, then I have no love for Buddy anymore either.

They can all stay in Toronto after this week for all I care.

We can only judge Nix on what he has done. There are a lot of moves I like that Nix has made - not least of which being hiring Whaley to replace him. That alone speaks volumes about Nix's intent - if he were ego driven, and saw this job as a means of making money and promoting his interests at the expense of the Franchise, he would NOT have gone out and grabbed one of THE most capable young GM candidates in the league. Having Whaley there means the Bills are in very good hands for the long haul - something Nix has said, time and again, he is trying to do.

Secondly, he came in and, whether we see it clearly or not, he fixed our Defensive and Offensive lines. In fact, if I were to make a list of the best O and D lines in the NFL - I mean factoring both in together - then the Bills are right up there with the top 5 in the NFL. Our lines are very good, and mostly YOUNG. That is a good move by a GM.

His drafting, I think, has been very good, too. A lot of people cited Carrington, Troupe, Spiller, and A. Williams as examples of bad drafting. I've always been high on Carrington, and now he's showing what he can be. Spiller is unarguably a great player, and one we'll be elated to have when we're ready to go for a Super Bowl run. Troupe cannot be fairly evaluated due to injury, but if he is a better player than Carrington, then I'd argue he'd be a good starter. Lastly, Williams might not prove to be a great CB - but I believe if he fails there he will make a very good Safety. And, Nix has come up with some very good late round and undrafted picks.

Now, my critisism of Nix is his handling of trades - I do think Nix is too loose lipped and honest when it comes to trades in general. He has not gotten good value out of some of the trades he's made, and, furthermore, I think he could have made trades which he didn't. In that area I think he is weak; but, that does not make him a bad GM - there are only 3 or 4 GM's in the NFL that are beyond reproach, and some of those were not seen as such a few years ago.

Nix's coaching decisions are also questionable - especially Gailey. However, I think Gailey might have fooled other GM's, as well. And, we know Nix would have chosen other men before Gailey had he been able to. So, in that regard we have to hope that either Gailey improves, or Nix finds a better replacement.

Lastly, on judging Nix on the QB situation. I think Gailey has influenced Nix's decision to pass on certain QB prospects, because I believe Gailey has been telling Nix he can win with Fitz. However, it would not displease me if Nix has been thinking all along that he wants to leave Buffalo set up for a high level of sustainable success, and that he doesn't want to just get a good QB in here, but he wants to get the BEST QB that Buffalo has ever had. Now, that would excite me. I mean, if he's been thinking he had to strengthen the lines, upgrade the peripheral roster, and then get the QB, all the while knowing he would not just grab any QB, but that when the time was right he would go get a potentially great QB, then I would be on board with that all the way. I mean, I've criticized Nix for passing on Russell Wilson, however, if drafting Wilson last year would have prevented Nix from getting, say, Geno Smith this year, then I would say PASS ON WILSON!!!

So - in conclusion, I like Nix, and although he has some weaknesses as a GM, we are only a few players away from being a roster that might go down as the best roster ever to play in Buffalo. All it will take is a Super Bowl win. As long as Nix has greatness as his vision, as his goal, then I will accept waiting a year or two longer than I would have liked, as long as we get there. This draft will make all difference when it comes to his legacy here.

We can only judge Nix on what he has done. There are a lot of moves I like that Nix has made - not least of which being hiring Whaley to replace him. That alone speaks volumes about Nix's intent - if he were ego driven, and saw this job as a means of making money and promoting his interests at the expense of the Franchise, he would NOT have gone out and grabbed one of THE most capable young GM candidates in the league. Having Whaley there means the Bills are in very good hands for the long haul - something Nix has said, time and again, he is trying to do.

Secondly, he came in and, whether we see it clearly or not, he fixed our Defensive and Offensive lines. In fact, if I were to make a list of the best O and D lines in the NFL - I mean factoring both in together - then the Bills are right up there with the top 5 in the NFL. Our lines are very good, and mostly YOUNG. That is a good move by a GM.

His drafting, I think, has been very good, too. A lot of people cited Carrington, Troupe, Spiller, and A. Williams as examples of bad drafting. I've always been high on Carrington, and now he's showing what he can be. Spiller is unarguably a great player, and one we'll be elated to have when we're ready to go for a Super Bowl run. Troupe cannot be fairly evaluated due to injury, but if he is a better player than Carrington, then I'd argue he'd be a good starter. Lastly, Williams might not prove to be a great CB - but I believe if he fails there he will make a very good Safety. And, Nix has come up with some very good late round and undrafted picks.

Now, my critisism of Nix is his handling of trades - I do think Nix is too loose lipped and honest when it comes to trades in general. He has not gotten good value out of some of the trades he's made, and, furthermore, I think he could have made trades which he didn't. In that area I think he is weak; but, that does not make him a bad GM - there are only 3 or 4 GM's in the NFL that are beyond reproach, and some of those were not seen as such a few years ago.

Nix's coaching decisions are also questionable - especially Gailey. However, I think Gailey might have fooled other GM's, as well. And, we know Nix would have chosen other men before Gailey had he been able to. So, in that regard we have to hope that either Gailey improves, or Nix finds a better replacement.

Lastly, on judging Nix on the QB situation. I think Gailey has influenced Nix's decision to pass on certain QB prospects, because I believe Gailey has been telling Nix he can win with Fitz. However, it would not displease me if Nix has been thinking all along that he wants to leave Buffalo set up for a high level of sustainable success, and that he doesn't want to just get a good QB in here, but he wants to get the BEST QB that Buffalo has ever had. Now, that would excite me. I mean, if he's been thinking he had to strengthen the lines, upgrade the peripheral roster, and then get the QB, all the while knowing he would not just grab any QB, but that when the time was right he would go get a potentially great QB, then I would be on board with that all the way. I mean, I've criticized Nix for passing on Russell Wilson, however, if drafting Wilson last year would have prevented Nix from getting, say, Geno Smith this year, then I would say PASS ON WILSON!!!

So - in conclusion, I like Nix, and although he has some weaknesses as a GM, we are only a few players away from being a roster that might go down as the best roster ever to play in Buffalo. All it will take is a Super Bowl win. As long as Nix has greatness as his vision, as his goal, then I will accept waiting a year or two longer than I would have liked, as long as we get there. This draft will make all difference when it comes to his legacy here.

Thank You! Agree 100% Nix has done a Great job here. Only if Fitz would have some 3 or 4 more plays to his WIDE OPEN receivers and if our stupid coach would make some better calls, we would have a better record and we would be talking playoffs. Can't blame the actions on the field on Nix.

In the five drafts from 2005-09, there were 18 QB's taken from picks 20-100. Of that group, only Aaron Rodgers is what I would consider a long term starter. If you add in the 2010 and 2011 drafts, there were 6 guys taken in this range, and early returns indicate that 1 of them will be a long term guy (Dalton) with one having potential (Kaepernick). That's 24 guys with, at most, 3 having a high enough ceiling to be a starter.

Good stat. This is the first thing that needs to be considered when talking about drafting a QB. You can't just go out and get one when the need arises. There are only a dozen or so very good NFL QB's in the WORLD right now, and even guys like Vince Young, Carson Palmer and Jamarcus Russel that were #1 overall picks still struggle in this league.

I still can't believe Nix missed on Dalton, it was a huge break to have him sitting there in the second round. He took Aaron Williams instead.

Now he's going to have pressure to draft a QB in the 20-100 overall range, and you see from BillsVet what our odds are there. About 1 in 8 chance that it pans out.

I would trade my pick and a few more for Alex Smith or Flynn. Those to me are better odds. I think Alex's last game he was like 18 for 19 passing.

I have stood up for Buddy as long as i can.

The Bills are a year late in drafting a QB. They could have gone after RGIII last year. We knew last year that Fitz was Fitz. I do not want to hear all the 'rib injury' b.s. The guy is who he is. Now we have a weak QB class coming out and of course this is when the Bills decide to get a QB?! Perfect! I am so tired of our ownership down to our little person trainer!! I am more tired of liking the Bills. I can not stop and won't stop, but it is guys like this that make me hate that i love this team. Nix will make his millions of dollars being a GM, when most of us on here could have done the same thing he did, given information he has. Then Nix will go back to his house in Tenn and sit around and care none the less about Buffalo!

I wish Ralph would send down his jet to Atl and get Dave Caldwell as the Bills new GM. Then give Dave 4 years with zero meddling! I guarantee the Bills would be in the playoffs in 3 years and for many years after that!!!

I have stood up for Buddy as long as i can.

The Bills are a year late in drafting a QB. They could have gone after RGIII last year. We knew last year that Fitz was Fitz. I do not want to hear all the 'rib injury' b.s. The guy is who he is. Now we have a weak QB class coming out and of course this is when the Bills decide to get a QB?! Perfect! I am so tired of our ownership down to our little person trainer!! I am more tired of liking the Bills. I can not stop and won't stop, but it is guys like this that make me hate that i love this team. Nix will make his millions of dollars being a GM, when most of us on here could have done the same thing he did, given information he has. Then Nix will go back to his house in Tenn and sit around and care none the less about Buffalo!

I wish Ralph would send down his jet to Atl and get Dave Caldwell as the Bills new GM. Then give Dave 4 years with zero meddling! I guarantee the Bills would be in the playoffs in 3 years and for many years after that!!!

Can you provide a reasonable and realistic scenario where that plays out?

Can you provide a reasonable and realistic scenario where that plays out?

Offer the same picks as Redskins did, even sweeten it with an additional pick to make up for Buffalo being a few spots back. Rams believed they had their qb.

If Buffalo had given them their first for the next three years and their second this year and next as well.Maybe the deal gets done? Heck even throw a third rounder in from this year. Rams wanted picks to build around Bradford.

As the Bills have shown 2nd and third rounders, heck even first rounders are not a sure bet!!

Instead Buffalo sat pat, now a year later they want a qb and it is probably the worse qb draft in the past 10+ years. Perfect timing!!

Offer the same picks as Redskins did, even sweeten it with an additional pick to make up for Buffalo being a few spots back. Rams believed they had their qb.

If Buffalo had given them their first for the next three years and their second this year and next as well.Maybe the deal gets done? Heck even throw a third rounder in from this year. Rams wanted picks to build around Bradford.

As the Bills have shown 2nd and third rounders, heck even first rounders are not a sure bet!!

Instead Buffalo sat pat, now a year later they want a qb and it is probably the worse qb draft in the past 10+ years. Perfect timing!!

If there's no sure bet on 2nd, 3rd or even 1st rounders, why in the hell would you want to give away 6 of them for a shot at a question mark. Of course now you can say that. Hindsights 20/20. Not to mention he's now had 2 injuries in his rookie season.

Sorry to say it, but Griffin is headed for the same fate as Michael Vick as far as playing the game if football. Give it 3-4 years and he will be so injury riddled it won't seem like its worth it.

Now,that's a good post.

Hey now - let's not assume this QB class is weak. Furthermore, that stat about QB's from 2005-2009, and only 3 of 24 QB's taken between picks 20-100 having high ceilings, does not apply as much now as it did then. In just the last few years we've seen Cam Newton, Dalton, Locker, Ponder, Luck, Griffin III, Weeden, Wilson, Tannehill, and Cousins - that's 10 QB's in the last couple of years who are capable starters. Although I think 2012 was the QB class of the decade, this coming draft will provide the NFL with a group of good QB's, too. It might prove fortunate for Buffalo that it is viewed as a weaker class, and that less teams are QB needy this year.

These are some QB's who might come out this year who I like, and think will end up being starters in the NFL:

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, Tahj Boyd, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, E.J. Manuel, and even Logan Thomas has physical skills, if he ever "gets it". Now, I listed 10 QB's who might come out in 2013. Even if only half end up being good starters, that is still 5 QB's to come out of a draft, which is good.

I'm not particularly high on them all, but I think each has potential. I would personally be happy if the Bills ended up with any of the following, and would consider each a "promising, potential Franchise QB", in order of potential: Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Landry Jones. Nassib and Manuel might make nice later round, project QB's.

Now, even if the Bills get lucky and land that star LB in round 1, they could still pick up, either in the 2nd round, or by trading back up, with Bray, Glennon, or Landry Jones. Wilson and Smith are likely gone by mid-first round. So, it is not too late for Buffalo. And, if Nix is really serious about QB and has the ability and daring to trade up into the 1st round for Geno Smith, I think that kid would be an ideal for Gailey, and could prove to be as talented as Griffin III or Cam Newton. My point - all hope is not lost, but Nix must get it done this coming draft. It is on him to figure out which QB has greatness in him, and on Nix to go and get him.

Man, that's a lot of love for a guy who has drafted in the top ten (ish) 3 straight years and all we have is "they will probably be good". Although I agree the lines are better, I wouldn't call them dominant or anything. I would say they are no longer embarrassing.

I don't care if its a Polomalu, Ray Lewis or Cam Newton, it's time Nix hits on a difference maker in the draft so we don't have to pay him $100 M to get him here.