Byrd on possible FA

Jdragon2

Do you think they are?

they very well could be. between now and march a lot can happen.

could win out, could cut ties with fitz, could have a new re-energized coaching staff.

i think the team this year is better than last, and last was better than the one before. im optimistic next year will be better than this.

They would rather re-sign Levitre and franchise Byrd because the franchise tag price for a safety is about $3 Million less than a guard.

Of course if they can't re-sign Levitre before free agency than it will be interesting to see which one they franchise if either...

I think they will work harder to keep Byrd but keeping both is imperative for the so called rebuilding project.

I am really, really, really hoping we re-sign Byrd. He is one of our up and coming stars, and is going to be a stud in this league for years to come. Based on his comments, it's obvious he's not married to the idea of staying in Buffalo, but hell, who can blame him? He needs to be a priority signing, and if we have to overpay to keep him, I say we do it. Good things are on the horizon for this football team, I really do believe that...

just a question of who gets tag..he or Andy

Andy has said that he really likes it here and his girlfiend is from Buffalo - which might make it easier to kepp him. She is also an aspiring reporter, so she could see him as her ticket out of here as well.

Really? We re-sign Fitz prematurely to an over paid contract, but there's a possibility we wont re-sign Byrd? I feel this decision should be a no-brainer. The Bills can add to a long list of players who went to playoff and superbowl games after leaving this team. Whitner, Greer, Lynch, Peprah, Evans, Spikes, McGahee, all in recent years.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/12/13/how-byrd-is-approaching-free-agency/

Certainly sounds like he wants better then the Bills....

Can't really blame the guy.

I cannot see anywhere in that article that he wants out. Ofcourse a player is going to balance many factors. His quotes seem pretty neutral and like someone in the midst or cusp of a negotiation. Nothing more, nothing less

I hope they re-sign Byrd too but you can't blame him for checking out his options in free agency. The first free agent contract is the last big deal that most players are likely to sign. From a player's perspective what do the Bills have to offer that would 'stand out' relative to what other teams might be able to offer? More money? Perhaps this will be, and is always, the deciding factor regardless of all the talk about intangibles and touchy-feely issues.

If he stays that would be great but if he decides to take an offer somewhere else I would not hold it against him at all. Given the rudderless state of the Bills ship this century and lacking any clear vision on a positive direction why would you want to stay here? I'd have a heart to heart sit down with Nix/Whaley and give them an opportunity to 'sell me' on the program but it better be something other than keep on doing what we're doing until it works because that ain't never going to happen.

You gotta take off your fan blinders here and note that if you were in the same kind of demand for what you do that Byrd is for what he does, you'd be doing the same thing - weighing the hardships of moving, dollar amounts, commitments, and loyalty. He was not some street free agent the Bills took a chance on. He was talented enough to be a top-50 draft pick, has more than merited it, and the Bills should pay him if they want his services. He doesn't owe anyone a discount. He has provided tons of added value relative to his rookie contract, and deserves to be paid at least like a top-10 safety. Byrd may like Buffalo and its direction enough to edge toward staying if the dollars are competitive, but he absolutely has no reason to hurt his negotiating position.

If he said he'd like to stay, that's no indicator, either, because that's often PR / fan goodwill offered to ratchet up pressure for situations when the team is not willing to up their offer.