Byrd on possible FA

Jdragon2

It's all about the Benjamins. If we make him a great financial offer, he'll stay. As NFL players like to say, "this is a business," after all.

Byrd will get some big offers from good teams too, if he gets that far into free agency. He will get the bucks no matter, so he might want to bolt for an organization that has a chance to win before he retires. Can you blame him?

http://blogs.buffalo...ng-free-agency/

Certainly sounds like he wants better then the Bills....

Can't really blame the guy.

It does? Where did he say that? He just talked about a mindset. If they pay him he isn't going anywhere. If they can't agree on a contract he will get franchised until they do work it out. I wouldn't be worried about Byrd. He grew up around the game. Of course he would be pragmatic about it.

Saying that he wants to stay would be nice to hear, but could hurt his position in negotiation. Of course he will say that 'there are a lot of things to consider'.It makes the Bills more willing to work to keep him here.

He said he is open to staying. That's as good as it gets. Because a player wants to stay doesn't mean the team wants him to. It is a business for all involved and emotion can't enter into it on either side.

For folks who worry about it though, Nix has a good track record of keeping players who produce for the team and don't constantly run off at the mouth (i.e. Whitner. Who I liked by the way). I doubt there is any danger in Byrd not being taken care of and signing elsewhere.

Byrd will get some big offers from good teams too, if he gets that far into free agency. He will get the bucks no matter, so he might want to bolt for an organization that has a chance to win before he retires. Can you blame him?

Why would Byrd want to stay if we keep the same QB, HC and GM? For god sakes, the team has won all of 15 games the past three seasons. And has not come close to sniffing the playoffs. I am sure Stevie J is kicking himself bigtime after resigning. You can see the anguish in his face and body language everytime one of Fitz's passes to him go sailing out of bounds behind and over his head. But back to Byrd, I am sure he will wait to see who our coach will be after this season, and what direction the team is taking. If he likes what he sees, and the new regime likes him, than I am sure a deal will be worked out. I think the same holds true for Levitre as well. With this HC and QB, we are not on the brink of glory. The players all know this. Everyone wants to win. Whether you are playing pee wee football or the NFL. A lot of money is great, but winning trumps all.