Will CJ get his touches? Last year's stats say "meh"

Rubes

So now that Freddie's down for the count, we're all expecting CJ to get his share of the load. I know we're all hoping for 20-30 carries a game, plus a few receptions, but we're skeptical. Why? Because the same situation happened last year.

After Freddie went down in week 11 last year, here are CJs stats:

Week 12, NYJ: 19 carries, 55 yards; 3 receptions (22 touches)

Week 13, TEN: 14 carries, 83 yards; 3 receptions (17 touches)

Week 14, SD: 12 carries, 46 yards; 3 receptions (15 touches)

Week 15, MIA: 12 carries, 91 yards; 9 receptions (21 touches)

Week 16, DEN: 16 carries, 111 yards; 2 receptions (18 touches)

Week 17, NE: 13 carries, 60 yards; 4 receptions (17 touches)

So he averaged about 14 carries and another 4 receptions per game, averaging 18 touches total. I guess it's better than 8, but still well below what I think we all consider him capable and worthy of.

Don't risk injury by over working him now that the season is over. 15 carries and 5 catches sounds about right. Sad to say, losing games isn't a bad thing these last 3 weeks.

I'm fine with the 15 and 5, although I would probably prefer 18/6. But to say losing games isn't a bad thing these last 3 weeks is crazy and is the type of stuff that has this team in a long term rut. We are never ruined by our draft position. We are ruined by some bad draft decisions, and most importantly by our ability to play winning football. I know you think that moving from #15 to #7 in the draft is really important, but it is not nearly as important as winning out and finishing 8-8 would be to the 35+ players from this team who will be back next year.

Fitz isn't the answer and Chan isn't as smart as we thought, but we don't want to blow it up, we want to build a winning situation for the replacement coach and replacement QB to come in to when that happens. I want to see this team 8-8, and I think we all should hope for that goal. an 8-8 team with the #15 pick will be better prepared to make a playoff run next year than a 5-11 team with the #7 pick. And while the 5-11 team is more likely to fire Chan than the 8-8 team, I don't view them as that differently positioned to replace Fitz, and both will try with a non-top QB late in round 1 or somewhere in rounds 2 or 3.

Why would you want CJ to get so many touches now? The season is over. Give Tard Choice the ball, not CJ.

OF COURSE CJ gets his touches against the 9th ranked run-D in the NFL. -Chan wouldn't be Chan unless he exposed CJ to a thorough tune-up before sending #28 LIMPING into the off-season. :doh:

Why go back to last year. Fred was hurt earlier this year. Remember Miami thurs night game? Spiller lit it up whenever he touched it....yet there he was standing on sidelines in stretches. T Choice in on third downs and in red zone. Galley is one stubborn fool .

In article written by JOHN WAWROW:

"My teammates know what I can do. My coaches know what I can do. I know what I can do as an individual. The only thing you have to prove is wins," Spiller said. "I'm not in the business to try to please '
' down the street because he wants me to carry the ball 30 times. That's not what we're all about."

There are a lot of posters who think the only solution is to run Spiller continuously although that is not when he gets his best plays.

More from article:

With 944 yards on 144 carries, Spiller is averaging 6.55 yards per run. That's the NFL's highest total through 13 games since 1963, when Hall of Famer Jim Brown averaged 6.61 yards per carry with the Cleveland Browns.

His yards per carry is because he was put in when situation was best for him - he was not running in red zone with line stacked but in places with room to run.

I for one applaud how Chan has handled Spiller this season. He's a young player still growing into his role and Chan has enabled him to have a great season. Watch the last 3 games of the season when he's running on fresh legs.

Some people will say, "See! I told you so! Look what Spiller does when he gets 20 carries!". But the truth of the matter is that is that CJ hasnt been worn down by too many touches at this point in the season.

Personally, I want a RB who begs the coach to put him in on every single 3rd and short (1 or 2) play, instead of standing silently on the sidelines.

I loved the CJ pick when it happened and I am still ecstatic that he is a Bill. But he is being underutilized. I don't blame CJ for that. But I'm not too keen on him supporting it.

I've never been a "B word to the media" fan. But in this case, I would love for him to at least say that he would love to be out there in those situations.

I'm wondering if that's true.

I for one applaud how Chan has handled Spiller this season. He's a young player still growing into his role and Chan has enabled him to have a great season. Watch the last 3 games of the season when he's running on fresh legs.

Some people will say, "See! I told you so! Look what Spiller does when he gets 20 carries!". But the truth of the matter is that is that CJ hasnt been worn down by too many touches at this point in the season.

Worry about him wearing down? That is such a scared, thinking about the "future", and not wanting to WIN NOW attitude.

I'm sure the Vikings, in hindsight, wish they had kept Adrian Peterson fresh since he could only go for 5 plays last week due to exhaustion. OH WAIT.... he ran 31 times. Forget the fact that he's 2 years older than CJ.

I'm exceptionally happy CJ will be fresh for the last, completely meaningless, games of the season. Made meaningless partly because we refused to give him the ball.

Yes--fresh as a Summer's Eve for 3 meaninless games.

Anyway, maybe we will see if Spiller can keep it up for 25 carries a game--which he has never done before. Perhaps this is what he is telling "joe Blow"-that he is never going to be an featured back, an every down back.

8 thouches by our best offensive player in a game that was decided by less than one score and you're applauding his use? Not to mention the potential playoff implications of the game. Come on, man! As other repsonders have pointed out, keeping the guy "fresh" for the last 3 games that have become virtually meaningless meaningless is not good coaching or roster management at all, it's simply moronic.