Rush inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame!

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-rock-hall-induction-rush-randy-newman-donna-summer-2013-rock-hall-inductees-20121211,0,2611512.story

Check the thermostat in hell -- it appears to have dropped below 32 degrees: Long-snubbed Canadian progressive-rock trio Rush will at long last be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year, along with Randy Newman, Public Enemy, Donna Summer, Heart and Albert King.

Question: How is Donna Summer, who never played a note of Rock N Roll in her life, voted in but Deep Purple is not?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush is, by far, one of my favorite bands. That said ... the Rock and Roll HOF is a complete joke. It is actually a Music HOF, which is fine. But you don't put Donna Summer, Madonna and Public Enemy in anything with "Rock and Roll" as a category.

Regardless ... I am very happy for Rush. They are awesome. A friend of mine posted one of those fake inspirational-type posters on facebook the other day. It was a black and white picture of Rush, back from their 2112/Fly By Night days. A the bottom, it said, "Rush. Making You Feel Like a ****ty Musician Since 1974." How true.

Rush is, by far, one of my favorite bands. That said ... the Rock and Roll HOF is a complete joke. It is actually a Music HOF, which is fine. But you don't put Donna Summer, Madonna and Public Enemy in anything with "Rock and Roll" as a category.

Regardless ... I am very happy for Rush. They are awesome. A friend of mine posted one of those fake inspirational-type posters on facebook the other day. It was a black and white picture of Rush, back from their 2112/Fly By Night days. A the bottom, it said, "Rush. Making You Feel Like a ****ty Musician Since 1974." How true.

FWIW... Everything with a big beat with noticeable backbeat is rock and roll... Like it or not, there are so many sub-genres. Pop is rock, disco is rock, rap is rock...

FWIW... Everything with a big beat with noticeable backbeat is rock and roll... Like it or not, there are so many sub-genres. Pop is rock, disco is rock, rap is rock...

Rap rock is like rage against the machine or beastie boys, maybe. Not public enemy. Pop rock is not pop music. Disco isn't even on the ridiculously long list. Madonna and Donna summer are not rock and roll. Not by anyone's standards, other than the idiots behind this sham of a HOF.

Rap rock is like rage against the machine or beastie boys, maybe. Not public enemy. Pop rock is not pop music. Disco isn't even on the ridiculously long list. Madonna and Donna summer are not rock and roll. Not by anyone's standards, other than the idiots behind this sham of a HOF.

I know it is Wikipedia... But it is an easy reference. It appears it all is... Rock and Roll is a pretty big genre. It is called the Rock and Roll HOF, they must be basing it on something. If it is not rock and roll, than what genre does the sub genres you point out fit into? See what I am getting @? Disco, Pop Rock, and Rap Rock... Aren't floating out there there by themselves... They are all under: "Rock and Roll."

From Wiki (and I agree):

"Rock bands generally not associated with rap rock have experimented with hip hop influences, including rapping. Such bands have included Blondie,[10] The Clash,[11] Rush,[12] R.E.M., Beck[13] and Cake. Many rappers have been noted for a prominent use of samples derived from rock songs, including Ice-T,[14] The Fat Boys,[14] LL Cool J,[14] Public Enemy,[14] Whodini,[14] Vanilla Ice[15] and Esham.[16][17] and Run-D.M.C."

I know it is Wikipedia... But it is an easy reference. It appears it all is... Rock and Roll is a pretty big genre. It is called the Rock and Roll HOF, they must be basing it on something. If it is not rock and roll, than what genre does the sub genres you point out fit into? See what I am getting @? Disco, Pop Rock, and Rap Rock... Aren't floating out there there by themselves... They are all under: "Rock and Roll."

From Wiki (and I agree):

"Rock bands generally not associated with rap rock have experimented with hip hop influences, including rapping. Such bands have included Blondie,[10] The Clash,[11] Rush,[12] R.E.M., Beck[13] and Cake. Many rappers have been noted for a prominent use of samples derived from rock songs, including Ice-T,[14] The Fat Boys,[14] LL Cool J,[14] Public Enemy,[14] Whodini,[14] Vanilla Ice[15] and Esham.[16][17] and Run-D.M.C."

If it was up to me (and I know it's not :-)), I'd at least start with classifications like this:

Rock and Roll - would include metal, hard rock, psychadelic rock, Southern rock, folk rock, alternativie, etc.

Rap - all kinds of rap, but this would be tough. Would Beastie Boys go here, or in Rock and Roll?

Disco - Self-explanatory

Pop - This is where the Madonnas and the Justin Biebers of the world would go. Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc.

Country - This would include the country-rock and pop-country crap, too, like Shania Twain, for example. But would be mainly for the Johnny Cash, George Jones, classic-style country music.

Just a start. Would not be an easy task, but the current Rock and Roll HOF is waaaaaaay to wide open.

*** On second thought, someone like the Beastie Boys could be in either/both categories (rap and/or rock). Just like Elvis Presley. He made rock-n-roll songs, as well as gospel and country. He could, conceivably, make it into a HOF for each category, or one or two.

Edited by gugny

Music categories are pretty fuzzy...genre's are made up to fit needs...I get that people are upset that it took Rush so long to get in the HOF (personally,they bore the crap out of me), but some of the greates rock music of all time, was once categorized as "pop". A lot of it is just timing, and evolution. The lables and sub-genres really mean nothing. If you were to try to have strict definitions of what is what, it would be pretty tough. To me, the real "rock-n'roll" artists are people like Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, the Everly's, Louis Jordan, Elvis, etc etc... Sabbath, Rush, Madonna,Donna Summer, etc etc are far removed from that....

Gungy...just look at what you would cosider "Rock and Roll". That "etc" at the end could include a crud load of things... if you had to adhere to some strict defintion of what is rock n'roll, and what is not, the HOF would be pretty small. Not picking on you, just pointing out that "etc" leaves the door open for what you want to think of as rock-n'roll...and that is essentially the problem inherent with trying to categorize "art".

The notion of a music HOF is pretty silly, when you really think about it...but I appreciate the concept that they are just trying to recognize innovators and shed light on some that don't always get any recognition for how much their work has contributed to the business of music.

Edited by Buftex

I love the arguments regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Who cares, well obviously some of you do so I guess the question should be: why care? That would be like me going to a Modern Art museum and bitching about the fact that they included a **** smeared statue of Jesus. Art and music are two of the most subjective things out there. You like what you like and I like what I like.

Oh and I have to agree with Buftex :o , Rush bores me too. But to get you and I back on track Buftex, the Rolling Stones bore me too. :D

so why are you being so 'critical' of the McCartney/Grohl/Novoselic performance at 12/12/12 concert tonight. I personally like it but you seem to want to criticize mccartney as 'musically dead' and the fact they are calling it a reunion....you seem to be upset that I choose to like this 'reunion'

I love the arguments regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Who cares, well obviously some of you do so I guess the question should be: why care? That would be like me going to a Modern Art museum and bitching about the fact that they included a **** smeared statue of Jesus. Art and music are two of the most subjective things out there. You like what you like and I like what I like.

Oh and I have to agree with Buftex :o , Rush bores me too. But to get you and I back on track Buftex, the Rolling Stones bore me too. :D

so why are you being so 'critical' of the McCartney/Grohl/Novoselic performance at 12/12/12 concert tonight. I personally like it but you seem to want to criticize mccartney as 'musically dead' and the fact they are calling it a reunion....you seem to be upset that I choose to like this 'reunion'

You seem to be upset that I have an opinion. :rolleyes:

has anyone been to rnr hof? I was thinking about a trip to hit up this and the nfl hof (never been there either). Is it a waste of time?

if you enjoy music enough that you are seriously thinking of going, odds are you would enjoy it... if that makes sense.

someone with a broad appreciation of music and a curiosity about its history I think would be hardpressed not to enjoy it on some level. likewise with the nfl

Edited by NoSaint