Brian Urlacher. What say you?

What next. A bring back LT thread? He could surely use the scratch.

Not sure how that applies? Urlacher is still in the league and could potentially be a FA at a position of need. LT is retired and a RB.

I still cant decide. On one hand he would be a great "Teacher" to the youg guys and team leader, but on the other if he cant stay healthy, it's almost as if you are wasting a roster spot.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how that applies? Urlacher is still in the league and could potentially be a FA at a position of need. LT is retired and a RB.

I still cant decide. On one hand he would be a great "Teacher" to the youg guys and team leader, but on the other if he cant stay healthy, it's almost as if you are wasting a roster spot.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that he actually went further back with that one and was calling for Lawrence Taylor, but your point is still valid.

As for Urlacher, it's an extremely tough call. The guy, when healthy this year, has still been extremely valuable to the Bears defense. He is worn down, but still would be our top LB at this point. It does sound as though he would be more prone to retire if not re-signed by the Bears, the only team that he has known. If motivated and healthy, I'd say it's a no-brainer. I just can't believe that he'll be either.

Lots of LBs have played into their late 30s and played well. Fletcher and Lewis come to mind. I think Urlacher will be able to do that too.

I'm not buying that 'hes too old' BS. Ever since we lost Fletcher and Big Pat to that excuse I have been scared.

LT= Lawrence Taylor retired NY Giants linebacker was my thinking but realized I should have spelled it out. Yes I was being sarcastic.

My thoughts on older vets is if your a player away from getting over the hump then go for it. But take Nick Barnett/Shawn Merriman for current examples, of "veteran leadership." Now Barnett had a pretty darn first year here, this year I would consider him a liability, if there is anyone awake on OBD. This will be his last. Merriman hasn't done squat other than make many millions of dollars, based on the scout that originally drafted him, then signing him when he became a first time GM after SD smartly outright cut him. His"emergence" over the win on possibly the NFL's worst team isn't all that impressive. Most importantly a ex(?) roid freak has very little relevance in a locker room. Since he never earned his stripes in the first place without cheating.Players know this.

A good if not great example of signing older vets is James Lofton, there's a guy who was simply great in Buffalo.. Signing Urlacher to coach up, or show what some call veteran leadership with Bills current draftees who may never amount to anything would be a waste. Besides Urlacher to the Bills would be purely for the $$$ if that would even interest him to come.

I say the last thing the Bills need is to pay 35 year old former stars for their name and reputation.

If he's available cheap and they don't draft a MLB who can step in? Sure, why not. But former All Pros don't come to Buffalo for cheap to wind up their careers.

I was fine with Urlacher being a possible Bill until I read his wikipedia page...

"Long converted Urlacher into a "Homo-Back",[8] a cross between a linebacker and free safety, and placed him in a 3-3-5 defense scheme.[9] He spent significant time training with the team's catamite, Bronco Mendenhall, who helped Urlacher refine his skills as a homosexual.[5]"

Good defensive players don't need to take adolescent slaves.

http://en.wikipedia..../Brian_Urlacher

Edited by FireChan

Lots of LBs have played into their late 30s and played well. Fletcher and Lewis come to mind. I think Urlacher will be able to do that too.

I'm not buying that 'hes too old' BS. Ever since we lost Fletcher and Big Pat to that excuse I have been scared.

fletcher never had the injuries urlacher did, quite the opposite. Entirely different builds too .... Fletcher: short, stocky, fire hydrant of muscle; Urlacher: long and lean

we upgrade them via the draft, and have Urlacker in the middle. Someone made a good pint about Fletcher lighting it up despite being older. If the price is right, I don't see how you can say no. Still a great player, and the impact he could have on others on the D can't be understated.

Fletcher and urlacher are totally different people. I don't see the correlation.

For instance, Fletcher's started how many in a row?

Not every player will be effective as "oldest d player in the league" and "month from being oldest d player in the league"

I say the last thing the Bills need is to pay 35 year old former stars for their name and reputation.

If he's available cheap and they don't draft a MLB who can step in? Sure, why not. But former All Pros don't come to Buffalo for cheap to wind up their careers.

To echo your thoughts, for his age and odometer reading, I wouldn't pay him more than the veteran minimum and for that money, he wouldn't play anywhere in the NFL.

The guy's a future Hall of Famer and one of the great figures of his era. He's the Ray Nitschke of his generation. He'd have more to gain by retiring and giving his body a rest.

The Bills do have to upgrade at linebacker though. I thought Sheppard was pretty bad against Jacksonville. Horrendous on a couple of plays.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Reports and rumors out of Chicago state that Urlacher may be on his way out of Chicago. The reporter in the article below thinks resigning Urlacher is a bad idea for Da Bears.

http://www.chicagotr...,1254144.column

Urlacher has said himself if they bring me back thats great if not so be it. (I may has paraphrased a little bit)

At first thought I heard the name Urlacher and said Yes yes and yes again. Then as I was reading into it given his age and injury history (Out again for the remainder of the year) I am not so sure.

So i ask, If Urlacher is a free agent and you are the GM do you bring him in to help sure up this LB core?

yes but at the right price.

Because Im one of the few people to not get down on Shep. I'd rather have us upgrade the needed spots at OLB, which will help Shep even more, and we can use the OLBs in coverage and let Shep thump in the middle, like he currently does.

I thought the same going into the season, but watching shepp play this year really made me ill. Zero speed. Unable to get off blocks. Rarely anticipates. Poor read and react. I just see him as a guy that takes on blocks or is the 2nd or 3rd guy to the party. Rarely the first. I'd like to upgrade shepp and Barnett with hopes that Bradham can turn out to be a player. He's got the best upside IMO. Shepp still has a chance, but I think he needs a push. Maybe adding someone to compete with will get the motor revving.

yes but at the right price.

Looking at your sig.......wow man......wow.

Denard Robinson in round 2??? Geez. Draft 1 LB?? I'd say we need to draft 2-3 LBs. ill keep my mouth shut regarding how bad I think Landry Jones will likely be. Sign Bowe and Long.....Does that include signing Byrd and Levitre? If so, you think we can sign all four of them? The answer is no, we can't, if you didn't already know.

Edited by NewEra

Looking at your sig.......wow man......wow.

Denard Robinson in round 2??? Geez. Draft 1 LB?? I'd say we need to draft 2-3 LBs. ill keep my mouth shut regarding how bad I think Landry Jones will likely be. Sign Bowe and Long.....Does that include signing Byrd and Levitre? If so, you think we can sign all four of them? The answer is no, we can't, if you didn't already know.

Barbarian is a dreamer. Not too many of his "ideas" can be realistically accomplished.

As far as Urlacher goes, the price is way too high for what your going to get and for how long your going to get it. He's got a couple years left in the tank, but he's taken one hell of a beating, and is a lot slower now.

This logic is backward. Just because a small % of guys can play into their late 30s doesn't mean you can apply that wish to every player. Same thing with Vick; he's not lasting into his late 30s no matter how long Brady or Manning play.

And for the record, London and Pat were both 32 when the Bills let them go; BU will be 35 next season. Big difference.