Jake Long 2013 Starting RT

Dean Cain

Jake Long is in the final year of his contract and it would cost the Dolphins in the 15 million range to franchise him.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12/3/3720632/miami-dolphins-jake-long-injury-last-game-in-miami

Quote: "Long is not the Long of the past four seasons. He's routinely struggled in pass protection, although he's been strong in run blocking. But, you don't pay a left tackle to run block. He has to be there to protect a quarterback's blind side. And, when you have a rookie "franchise" quarterback, you really need to be able to protect him."

So my question to you Bills fans is if the Phins decide to move away from Jake Long, would you take him in as your Right Tackle?

The Bills offensive line would "on paper" be graded as one of the top lines in the NFL from LT to RT. The running game in particular would be extremely strong. Considering the Bills do most of their damage running from the center to the left side, adding Long would significantly upgrade our right side. Suddenly if teams decide to stack the box and put 8 men in the box, Gailey may want to try and run.

Flame.

Every option is always worth exploring, although someone will likely be willing to over-pay for past performance. Other concerns would be that he's obviously injury prone and in decline, as well as possibly being averse to a move to RT from the OL's only "glammor position".

+1. There are teams out there that would almost certainly pay him big bucks to be their LT; the Bears come to mind.

Glenn, Pears, Hairston, and Sanders... Why would we waste money on an under-performing OT when we have plenty of talent and depth there already, and Nix has proven he can identify and sign OT talent?

I agree with this. I like our OL group. I would spend any free agent budget we have on keeping Byrd and Levitre and then possibly signing an Impact WR or LB or a #2 CB

I agree with this. I like our OL group. I would spend any free agent budget we have on keeping Byrd and Levitre and then possibly signing an Impact WR or LB or a #2 CB

I agree. In an ideal world I would love to add Long as our RT. But, we need to address the above. Any good FA LB's next year?

Looking at the statistics on our right side of the OL I find it hard to believe that people think we should not upgrade on the right. If we actually had a coaching staff that was competent, we could be a real threat to make the playoffs next year with the existing awesome talent we already have in the run game. An upgrade on the right side could be the final piece to becoming a real threat again to legitimate competitive teams.

Looking at the statistics on our right side of the OL I find it hard to believe that people think we should not upgrade on the right. If we actually had a coaching staff that was competent, we could be a real threat to make the playoffs next year with the existing awesome talent we already have in the run game. An upgrade on the right side could be the final piece to becoming a real threat again to legitimate competitive teams.

Care to share those stats with us? (seriously asking)

You can always look at options to upgrade the O-line but the Bills have one of the highest yards per carry averages in the NFL this season and the pass offense is hampered more by a wildly inaccurate Quarterback and the lack of a legitimate #2 receiver than any offensive line issues. Signing Levitre and getting Wood healthy are key also and adding some veteran depth at the right price would be a good move too.

You're not asking a RT to be a great pass blocker, so in that regard I would contend that Hairston is already "the guy" at that position. Glenn has looked very good as of late as well, so there's really no spot for Long. Even if the Dolphins take a pass on re-signing Long, I think the Bills would take a pass on him. He is going to want too much money and more importantly, he's going to want too much money as a LT. I would take a pass on him for sure.

Don't forget Urbik, a quality guard that also plays center. Have needed him there two years in a row. And, I am still not a believer in Hairston, he gets beat to much by speed guys.

Care to share those stats with us? (seriously asking)

via espn.com CJ Spiller

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 32 124 3.9 14 0 4 40 10.0 28 0 0 0 LEFT SIDE 20 185 9.3 56 5 13 132 10.2 32 1 0 0 MIDDLE 63 475 7.5 49 0 5 66 13.2 20 0 1 1 LEFT SIDELINE 10 43 4.3 13 0 7 84 12.0 30 0 1 1 RIGHT SIDELINE 12 80 6.7 22 0 3 10 3.3 9 0 0 0

via espn Fred Jackson

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 28 103 3.7 13 0 5 41 8.2 15 0 2 1 LEFT SIDE 28 142 5.1 14 2 10 66 6.6 16 0 1 1 MIDDLE 44 169 3.8 15 1 3 10 3.3 4 1 1 1 LEFT SIDELINE 5 10 2.0 9 0 6 62 10.3 34 0 0 0 RIGHT SIDELINE 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 3 12 4.0 9 0 0 0

via espn Tashard Choice

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST RIGHT SIDE 16 51 3.2 12 0 2 4 2.0 3 0 0 0 LEFT SIDE 12 69 5.8 22 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 MIDDLE 11 44 4.0 9 0 2 5 2.5 5 0 0 0 LEFT SIDELINE 1 -5 -5.0 -5 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 RIGHT SIDELINE 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0

Judging by these stats there's no doubt our Left Side is our Money side! 7 of our 9 rushing touchdowns have been on the left side, 2 of 9 in the middle, and 0 of 9 on the right!

Edited by BigCountryBills

somebody will pay him to be their left tackle. I like where we are with glenn and hairston.

Agreedd - Cordy Glenn and Chris Hairston should be mainstays on a strong Bills OL for the foreseeable future.

The Eagles are a possibility for Jake Long - they are apparently establishing a tradition of overpaying for under-performing left tackles...

Link - Demetress Bell and 15 Worst Free-Agent Signings in Andy Reid Era

Bell had played well in Buffalo when he was healthy, but he’s been downright atrocious in Philly. The Eagles have such little depth at this point in the season that they can’t release Bell. They’re going to have to just ride Bell until the end, but he’s been increasingly worse every time he sees the field.

Bell is a turnstile at left tackle, so the Eagles tried him at right tackle. The problem there is that he’s tasked with protecting Michael Vick’s blind side, and that’s too much responsibility.

Bell was moved to left tackle against the Dallas Cowboys, but he was just as bad there.

Bell is good for a couple of penalties and a couple of sacks allowed per game, and that’s worthy of the bench.

Jake Long is in the final year of his contract and it would cost the Dolphins in the 15 million range to franchise him.

So my question to you Bills fans is if the Phins decide to move away from Jake Long, would you take him in as your Right Tackle?

Certainly I would take him as my RT, however I think the Bills have shown that RT is a position that they do not value very highly.