I truly feel horrible for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

FireChan

You think fans here are tough?

Imagine NY, Boston, Philly, or Dallas fans and media dealing with this QB, HC, and GM.

Nix's little "we can let this thing go dead" line would have been like tossing blood into a tank full of sharks. In Buffalo it's "golly gee Mr. Nix, we're really sorry sir!"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel sorry for Fitz. He's a grown man. He's a very rich young man with a Harvard degree. If this football thing doesn't work out, he can use his degree and football celebrity to get into a pretty sweet corporate gig somewhere. Or, just retire and live off the interest in his football money.

And, he's still got time. If Buffalo replaces him and the starter gets injured, he'll be there and if he does well and we get on a roll and the rook is struggling ...

Or he goes somewhere else and this happens. Worked for Hostettler and Earl Morrell.

He's going through a tuff stretch football wise, but he'll be alright. At the very worst, in 10 years he'll be like Marc Brunell and Todd Collins, being a good backup for a long time.

First of all, Alex Smith is better than Fitz.

Second of all, Manning would not fail here. It would only be to what degree he would lift this franchise.

Thirdly, it might be inaccurate to say that Gailey relies too heavily on Fitz. The discussion this week has been whether Gailey gives Fitz enough leeway to call audibles. That was what the whole Stevie drama was about.

The irony is that according to Gailey, the plays in which Fitz was not allowed to audible out of were running plays. Gailey clearly stated this and said the reason was because he wanted the team to run the ball more.

The implication of this is that maybe earlier in the season that Fitz was audibling to pass plays too often which could possibly mean that the reason the Bills have been over-reliant on the pass is due to Fitz, and not Gailey.

Bottom line, there's a possibility (again very ironic if true) that Fitz has put too much on his shoulders passing the ball and that Gailey is trying to unburden him with "required running plays."

Finally, I don't feel horrible for Fitz.

Fitz has a Harvard degree, a lovely wife who was an All-American soccer player, and has already made millions of dollars in his career.

Oh, and his wife has a Harvard degree too.

Good post :thumbsup:

we should be all over Alex Smith ...

Alex Smith is Fitz-West.

No he's not...Smith is taller, better arm, better scrambler, more talented overall than Fitz by a good bit...He's a former #1 overall pick...

I'm not advocating going out and getting Smith either...But lets not make ridiculous statements here...Smith would most definitely be an upgrade to Fitz... B-)

All these SF comparisons make my eyes bleed. Take the sickest front 7 the league has seen since arguably the 2000 Ravens, an elite OL, an elite coach (note the difficulty of attaining all of these things is why they're an exception to the rule that you need a good QB to win) and Fitz would only be a little bit of a downgrade vs Alex Smith who is average.

Great. How much of a ringing endorsement is this? And will the 49ers still have all of these near perfect pieces in place 3 years from now or will they be the Jets 2.0 who had a lot of these same pieces 2-3 yrs ago with a QB who wasn't very good? I don't know but I know the Packers will still be good.

Everyone likes to make a mockery of this guy, but the FACT is that he is the best QB we've had since Kelly. He hasn't been perfect, but he has kept us a respectable team.

And guess what? He is a human being just like all of us. He has feelings. How would you guys like if thousands of people publicly hated your guts because of the way you throw a goddamn football.

Worst fans in football. You should be ashamed.

Not sure how long I can associate myself with such insensitive and ignorant people like so many on this board.

Might be time to find another team or at least another website.

Go bills.

Hahaha, come on gugny, did you really just write this? I mean come on, you think this doesn't happen in every fan base of every sport? Seriously...if you think rooting for another team will be different and all their fans are gonna be in a hippy love Fest about every underperforming player on their team then you are just in denial.

More importantly, we as fans have earned the right to criticize as we spend hard earned money on this team, these players, etc. We pay for directv, buy jerseys, buy fat heads, video games, hats, etc that allow this man to live a life most of his fans will never know. He's a grown man being paid millions of dollars by the FANS to play a game. We pay his salary, and we have the right to criticize if he fails to deliver on what he was paid to do.

So no offense, but this whiney BS about feeling bad for a man who lives such a blessed life makes me sick. Why don't you go feel bad for the inner city youth struggling to come up through football to change their lives...why not feel sorry for the homeless person at the off ramp you drive by and don't give him at least a dollar so they can eat...why not feel sorry for the widow who's husband was just killed serving over seas?

Seriously, people feel bad a for a man living his dream and being paid $50 mil to do it? WTF is wrong with you people, seriously. I would do his job for 1 percent of the pay he makes and let fans spit on me after every INT, sack, failed 3rd down conversion, fumble, and loss. Get a grip around here.

Fitz sucks, GO Bills

Edited by Alphadawg7

All these SF comparisons make my eyes bleed. Take the sickest front 7 the league has seen since arguably the 2000 Ravens, an elite OL, an elite coach (note the difficulty of attaining all of these things is why they're an exception to the rule that you need a good QB to win) and Fitz would only be a little bit of a downgrade vs Alex Smith who is average.

Great. How much of a ringing endorsement is this? And will the 49ers still have all of these near perfect pieces in place 3 years from now or will they be the Jets 2.0 who had a lot of these same pieces 2-3 yrs ago with a QB who wasn't very good? I don't know but I know the Packers will still be good.

Having a really good defense doesn't necessarily boost a QB's stats. If you look at the year Trent Dilfer spent on the Ravens (back when they had one of the best defenses in NFL history), and compare his yards per attempt for that year to his career average, you'll see little or no difference.

Statistically, this year's 49ers team has one of the five best OLs in the league. The same could be said of this year's Bills team. So that's more or less a wash.

In 2010, Smith averaged 6.9 yards per attempt--not much different than the 6.8 yards per attempt Fitz averaged that year.

In 2011, Smith averaged 7.1 yards per attempt; while Fitz averaged 6.7 yards per attempt.

This season, Smith is averaging 8.0 yards per attempt; while Fitz is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt. I don't think you can reasonably compare what Alex Smith is doing this season, to what Fitz would have done had he been put in a 49ers uniform.

You made the argument about coaching. I'd divide coaching into two categories: Xs and Os and teaching players how to play. As for Xs and Os: Gailey's Xs and Os result in WRs getting open all the time on passing plays. The problem is that Fitz doesn't throw accurate passes to his receivers. Open targets + inaccurate passes is not an Xs and Os problem.

Some of Fitz's supporters might argue that he would be a more accurate passer if his coaches were better teachers. This is a harder argument to prove or disprove, because we as fans don't have very much information about the quality of the teaching Fitz is receiving, or about Fitz's ability to benefit from such teaching.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

In 2010, Smith averaged 6.9 yards per attempt--not much different than the 6.8 yards per attempt Fitz averaged that year.

In 2011, Smith averaged 7.1 yards per attempt; while Fitz averaged 6.7 yards per attempt.

This season, Smith is averaging 8.0 yards per attempt; while Fitz is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt. I don't think you can reasonably compare what Alex Smith is doing this season, to what Fitz would have done had he been put in a 49ers uniform.

You should just change your name to ypa is the end all be all stat :nana:

I've been thinking about this stat though and I refuse to believe that ypa has nothing to do with surrounding talent. Quality rbs force the other d to put more in the box opening up passing lanes. Quality wrs clearly have an effect on this stat, the ability to get open, run after catch, and catching ability all have a great impact. Quality o-lines have an impact on giving time for a qb to go through progressions, allow for deeper routes, increase qb comfort levels. All of these things have to raise the qbs ypa. I would sincerely like to hear your feelings on these factors. I know the study blah blah blah but do the things I listed in your opinion have any effect on ypa?

As for Alex Smith - I put him right on par with Fitz. Talk to any niners fan and they will tell you all the same things Bills fans bemoan about Fitz. I would also add that he is a bit of an injury risk. Including this year he has only played a full season 2 out of his 7 years in the league.

Having a really good defense doesn't necessarily boost a QB's stats. If you look at the year Trent Dilfer spent on the Ravens (back when they had one of the best defenses in NFL history), and compare his yards per attempt for that year to his career average, you'll see little or no difference.

Statistically, this year's 49ers team has one of the five best OLs in the league. The same could be said of this year's Bills team. So that's more or less a wash.

You made the argument about coaching. I'd divide coaching into two categories: Xs and Os and teaching players how to play. As for Xs and Os: Gailey's Xs and Os result in WRs getting open all the time on passing plays. The problem is that Fitz doesn't throw accurate passes to his receivers. Open targets + inaccurate passes is not an Xs and Os problem.

Some of Fitz's supporters might argue that he would be a more accurate passer if his coaches were better teachers. This is a harder argument to prove or disprove, because we as fans don't have very much information about the quality of the teaching Fitz is receiving, or about Fitz's ability to benefit from such teaching.

You're kinda all over the place there but if you're trying to say the QB matters 1,000x more than the coach I am literally the last guy on the planet you should want to argue with; not sure why you're quoting me.

The first few pages of this thread said the players look lost in the 2 minutes & said that's on the coach. I don't know, when did John Fox become a 2minute guru and what is the great Jim Caldwell up to these days who everyone was outraged wasn't getting more Coach of the Year support in 2009?

I know, it's not fair to compare our guy to Peyton. But it's not like there's only 2 great QB's in the league now. There's closer to a dozen. Finding one of them is 1) easier, 2) more realistic and 3) makes long-term success more sustainable than this pipe dream of relying on our inept FO to build this phenominally dominant team around the QB.

That is all.

Nope, I said he gets hung out to dry by a coach who kills his confidence with the play calling. But I guess you didn't read my post, just skimmed it and tried to be "funny."

I feel bad for the guy on the sidelines when I seem him throw away a game because of the situation his coach puts him in. He also had much better numbers and was able to move the chains more earlier this season, so if that wasn't a product of Gailey, I say let him make the choices again. Also, as I said earlier, it's hard to audible to a run play in a 5 wide set called by Chan.

You are either an amazing troll or really dumb.

The fallacy of anyone arguing the point of better 'teaching' is that teaching can help turn potential into performance but it cannot increase potential ability. For example, I could use a personnal trainer to increase my strength and conditioning but not to a point that exceeds my genetic potential. If a QB is inaccurate with the ball, outside of improving mechanics which was reported in the preseason with QB coach Lee, there is little coaching can do here. The solution is to find/draft a QB that throws with greater accuracy.

You should just change your name to ypa is the end all be all stat :nana:

I've been thinking about this stat though and I refuse to believe that ypa has nothing to do with surrounding talent. Quality rbs force the other d to put more in the box opening up passing lanes. Quality wrs clearly have an effect on this stat, the ability to get open, run after catch, and catching ability all have a great impact. Quality o-lines have an impact on giving time for a qb to go through progressions, allow for deeper routes, increase qb comfort levels. All of these things have to raise the qbs ypa. I would sincerely like to hear your feelings on these factors. I know the study blah blah blah but do the things I listed in your opinion have any effect on ypa?

As for Alex Smith - I put him right on par with Fitz. Talk to any niners fan and they will tell you all the same things Bills fans bemoan about Fitz. I would also add that he is a bit of an injury risk. Including this year he has only played a full season 2 out of his 7 years in the league.

> I've been thinking about this stat though and I refuse to believe that ypa has nothing to do with surrounding talent.

I agree that YPA is affected by surrounding talent. The same is also true of literally every other widely available QB stat. Ideally, someone would grade each pass thrown in the NFL on a scale from 1 - 5. (With 1 being completely uncatchable, and a 5 being perfectly thrown.) Until this is done, we will have to make do with stats that allow the quality of a QB's supporting cast to affect his numbers.

> As for Alex Smith - I put him right on par with Fitz.

I'm a bit puzzled by the above, considering the two QBs' stats are so different. (Especially their stats from this season.)

> Talk to any niners fan and they will tell you all the same things Bills fans bemoan about Fitz.

They'd be a lot more appreciative of Smith if they saw Fitz as the alternative.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I don't feel sorry for Fitz. He's a grown man. He's a very rich young man with a Harvard degree. If this football thing doesn't work out, he can use his degree and football celebrity to get into a pretty sweet corporate gig somewhere. Or, just retire and live off the interest in his football money.

this

And, he's still got time. If Buffalo replaces him and the starter gets injured, he'll be there and if he does well and we get on a roll and the rook is struggling ...

Or he goes somewhere else and this happens. Worked for Hostettler and Earl Morrell.

He's going through a tuff stretch football wise, but he'll be alright. At the very worst, in 10 years he'll be like Marc Brunell and Todd Collins, being a good backup for a long time.

I agree. It's hard to feel bad for a guy that is a quality NFL caliber backup. I'd love him as our backup QB. The problem is that Nix and Gailey don't seem to be able to evaluate QB talent AT ALL.

The fallacy of anyone arguing the point of better 'teaching' is that teaching can help turn potential into performance but it cannot increase potential ability. For example, I could use a personnal trainer to increase my strength and conditioning but not to a point that exceeds my genetic potential. If a QB is inaccurate with the ball, outside of improving mechanics which was reported in the preseason with QB coach Lee, there is little coaching can do here. The solution is to find/draft a QB that throws with greater accuracy.

Accuracy at anything can be improved or people wouldn't practice at it.

You're kinda all over the place there but if you're trying to say the QB matters 1,000x more than the coach I am literally the last guy on the planet you should want to argue with; not sure why you're quoting me.

The first few pages of this thread said the players look lost in the 2 minutes & said that's on the coach. I don't know, when did John Fox become a 2minute guru and what is the great Jim Caldwell up to these days who everyone was outraged wasn't getting more Coach of the Year support in 2009?

I know, it's not fair to compare our guy to Peyton. But it's not like there's only 2 great QB's in the league now. There's closer to a dozen. Finding one of them is 1) easier, 2) more realistic and 3) makes long-term success more sustainable than this pipe dream of relying on our inept FO to build this phenominally dominant team around the QB.

That is all.

> if you're trying to say the QB matters 1,000x more than the coach I am literally the last guy on the planet you should want to argue with; not sure why you're quoting me.

I'd misunderstood the point of your earlier post. My apologies.

> But it's not like there's only 2 great QB's in the league now. There's closer to a dozen. Finding one

> of them is 1) easier, 2) more realistic and 3) makes long-term success more sustainable than this

> pipe dream of relying on our inept FO to build this phenominally dominant team around the QB.

Well said. Too many people here want to follow the example of the Ravens of 2000. There are several reasons why that strategy is very, very unlikely to work for the Bills.

The Ravens had one of the three best defenses in NFL history. The worst starters on that defense played at or near a Pro Bowl level. Their defensive line was ridiculously dominant, with all four starters requiring a double team. Of the Hall of Famers on the defense, one was Ray Lewis at MLB. The guys to either side of him were really good too. They had a pair of shutdown corners, along with guys like Ed Reed at safety. On offense, they had a great OL anchored by Hall of Fame LT Jon Ogden. They had a very solid running game in the form of Jamal Lewis. And they had a good TE in Shannon Sharpe.

Despite a team which was bursting with all that talent, everything had to go just right for them to reach and win the Super Bowl. Not once in the postseason did they encounter a team which a) had a franchise quarterback, and b) had a reasonably complete team around him. The Kerry Collins Giants team they faced in the Super Bowl was a much weaker opponent than the subsequent, Super Bowl-winning Eli Manning Giants teams have been.

A team with a great defense + no franchise QB is typically limited to just one Super Bowl win. The Ravens of 2000. The Bucs of 2002. The '85 Bears. As you hinted at, it's very, very difficult to field a truly elite defense for a sustained number of seasons. Even if a GM actually succeeds in building an elite defense (which is no easy feat), his defense is likely to stay elite for only a short amount of time. That means his window for winning the Super Bowl is very small--perhaps only one or two seasons. If something goes wrong during those seasons, or if he gets knocked out of the playoffs by a better team, then that's it. Window closed. Meanwhile, teams with franchise QBs can keep their windows open for ten years or more; giving them plenty of chances with which to win the Super Bowl.

No he's not...Smith is taller, better arm, better scrambler, more talented overall than Fitz by a good bit...He's a former #1 overall pick...

I'm not advocating going out and getting Smith either...But lets not make ridiculous statements here...Smith would most definitely be an upgrade to Fitz... B-)

He just got benched for Kaepernick....

I'd like to hear of an instant where a notoriously inaccurate QB became consistently accurate.

What is the point of practicing then? So you don't think practice is a tool to help accuracy within any sport? How does anybody improve accuracy at what ever sport they do? Improving accuracy does happen in all facets of all sports and you would be really dumb to think it doesn't. Do you think athletes are just born with it and there is no such thing as improving accuracy? I don't think so! C'mon please tell me you are smarter than that!

Edited by FreakPop

21-32 208 yards 65% completion rate no INTs 84 yards rushing.

He was called for a penalty in the endzone to give the Rams a safety and there was an errant pitch that led to a TD. He's not perfect, but he's young and I'd take his athleticism and potential over Fitzpatrick any day of the week.

Edited by Pondslider

What is the point of practicing then? So you don't think practice is a tool to help accuracy within any sport? How does anybody improve accuracy at what ever sport they do? Improving accuracy does happen in all facets of all sports and you would be really dumb to think it doesn't. Do you think athletes are just born with it and there is no such thing as improving accuracy? I don't think so! C'mon please tell me you are smarter than that!

Then I suppose you'd be able to point out several NFL QBs who have greatly improved their accuracy with practice. I simply asked who that may be. I said nothing about practice being a tool to help with accuracy. Answer the question, please. I am curious.

You do know the difference between a simple question and whatever it is you think I said, right? C'mon, please tell me you are smarter than that!

Edited by Marauder24

Consider the first thousand passes Fitzpatrick threw; whether those passes were in practice, high school games, or just someone's backyard. Odds are that by his thousandth pass, he'd become a much more accurate thrower than he'd been early on. Probably after pass number 2000, he was more accurate than he'd been after pass number 1000. But as he keeps throwing, the gains in accuracy for each additional 1000 passes he throws will decrease.

Ryan Fitzpatrick played quarterback in high school. And in college. And for 7.5 seasons in the NFL. That's about 16 years' worth of practice at throwing the football. If you figure he averages about 25 passes a day (after averaging in days off), that's about 150,000 passes he's thrown over the course of his life. Possibly many more than that. Any gains in accuracy he could achieve by practicing, he's probably already achieved.

The argument has been made that he's been practicing with bad mechanics; and that a few thousand or a few ten thousands of passes with good mechanics might help him become more accurate. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. There's the hope that with an additional off season working on good mechanics, it might. It would be great if it did. But the Bills shouldn't base their draft strategy around that rather slim hope.

i'll go you one further...i feel bad for all of em. these guys all work hard. fitz, chan, buddy nix...all the rest of them. these players are team guys and i know they really want to give us a winner. i find them all very "likeable" an really would be proud if they could somehow succeed here. they are exactly the kind of men i like to see representing the Bills.

but man o man is that not happening.

couldn't agree more

Consider the first thousand passes Fitzpatrick threw; whether those passes were in practice, high school games, or just someone's backyard. Odds are that by his thousandth pass, he'd become a much more accurate thrower than he'd been early on. Probably after pass number 2000, he was more accurate than he'd been after pass number 1000. But as he keeps throwing, the gains in accuracy for each additional 1000 passes he throws will decrease.

Ryan Fitzpatrick played quarterback in high school. And in college. And for 7.5 seasons in the NFL. That's about 16 years' worth of practice at throwing the football. If you figure he averages about 25 passes a day (after averaging in days off), that's about 150,000 passes he's thrown over the course of his life. Possibly many more than that. Any gains in accuracy he could achieve by practicing, he's probably already achieved.

The argument has been made that he's been practicing with bad mechanics; and that a few thousand or a few ten thousands of passes with good mechanics might help him become more accurate. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. There's the hope that with an additional off season working on good mechanics, it might. It would be great if it did. But the Bills shouldn't base their draft strategy around that rather slim hope.

This.

He just got benched for Kaepernick....

Kaepernick just lost a game on a bumbling play an inexperienced QB would make

There's a bit of a difference between being benched and having an injury and your HC deciding to stay with the hot hand don't you think.

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me a bit If relations between Harbaugh and Smith have been a little rocky ever since Harbaugh made a play for Peyton after his signal caller just took them deep into the playoffs.

Alex Smith probably wants the hell out if Dodge yesterday, and the Bills should be taking advantage of the situation.

Kaepernick just lost a game on a bumbling play an inexperienced QB would make

There's a bit of a difference between being benched and having an injury and your HC deciding to stay with the hot hand don't you think.

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me a bit If relations between Harbaugh and Smith have been a little rocky ever since Harbaugh made a play for Peyton after his signal caller just took them deep into the playoffs.

Alex Smith probably wants the hell out if Dodge yesterday, and the Bills should be taking advantage of the situation.

Alex Smith just seems like a waste of time, he's too little of an upgrade too late. He's more of a rehash than an upgrade.

The Bills would be getting Alex Smith in the Prime of his career in my opinion.

2012 season stats, 1,731 yards 70% completion rating 13 touchdowns 5 INT 4 fumbles

Looks like more of the same, an average QB with a great defense and a great ground game. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 all over again. Look at Mark now.

And if you're going to bring up his QB rating this year, which is 104, keep in mind it's inflated by the Rams game when he got hurt after going 7-8 and a TD. And the awful Bill's game.

Edited by FireChan

2012 season stats, 1,731 yards 70% completion rating 13 touchdowns 5 INT 4 fumbles

Looks like more of the same, an average QB with a great defense and a great ground game. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 all over again. Look at Mark now.

And if you're going to bring up his QBR this year, which is 104, keep in mind it's inflated by the Rams game when he got hurt after going 7-8 and a TD. And the awful Bill's game.

Lets be clear what QBR is...its not the traditional quarterback rating...its a completely different stat and it does not go to 104. Manning going into yesterday led the league with a QBR of 81 and some change. People keep seeing the stat QBR and think it is the abbreviation of Quarterback Rating, but its not. Its a new stat developed by ESPN that is substantially better than the old rating system. The old rating system you are referring to is just called the QB Rating...not QBR even though both are stats to measure a QB. Its similar to what ESPN did with the PER they created for the NBA and is now the most accurate way to determine how effective a player truly is. For whatever reason they called it QBR which confuses people as it looks like an abbreviation of the old stat, but its not.

Edited by Alphadawg7