would you rather win out or loss out.

191 members have voted

1. 1. What scenario would you prefer?

• win out, go 9-7 have a winning record, hope things fall into place and and have a chance at the playoffs where anything can happen..
    • lose out, go 4-12 and have a top 10 draft pick again.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted to lose out before the Jax game even started. Why? bc even if we win out we wont make the playoffs. Cincy, Pitt, Indy, those teams are much better than us and they will take the WC spots. Hell even Miami has a better chance than us.

And even if there is not top QB, there are still stud players that can help us. Like T'eo, if he is the next Ray Lewis or P Willis then a guy like that could take us to the next level. God knows our D really needs help.

DUH??

Of course lose out. Look what a top draft pick gets you: Luck, RG3, etc ...

Pah-leese.

Not to mention we lost out on Luke Kuechley, Von Miller,etc ... in years past and those guys are really good LB's.

Do you get a do-over if your pick is a bust? Maybe you do. Look at the Rams.

PTR

How do you make it public?

It's an option when you set up the poll. If you did it from a phone the option may not have been easily visible like if you had done it on a cpu.

Back to the topic though we are up to 40 people who want to lose out! I never thought it would get that high. Playoffs or not the improvement of the team is what I am looking for. The team put 4 wins then 6, I'd like to see at least 8 this year and feel that the Bills are on their way up. To the crowd that is worried that means more of Chan, Fitz, and Wanny - I would like to see the Bills stay the course because I feel the Bills are moving in the right direction.

Other teams have wins against crappy teams and they count but when the Bills do it the games don't count because they should have beaten the team anyway.

Other teams struggle through portions of the season but when the Bills do it fans want to lose out for a better draft pick while the team is still mathematically alive for the playoffs!

Other teams regularly draft in the later part of the rounds with great success but the Bills could never do that.

Other teams have made the playoffs at 9-7 (heck the last 2 sb winners were 9-7) but the Bills are so far away they can't even sniff the playoffs (even though they can still possibly finish 9-7.

Other teams have been blown out by the Texans and 49ers but when the Bills do it it's because no one on the team deserves to play in the NFL.

Other teams fail on last second drives but when the Bills do it it's because Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst qb in the league.

Other teams qbs miss passes and have bad games but when Ryan Fitzpatrick does it it's because he is the worst qb in the league.

Lastly I understand the frustration of the last 12 years but each year needs to be viewed in a vacuum. The Bills have shown improvement this year and I'd like to see it continue. For all of the people that want to blow it up and start over what happens if the hires are worse? What happens if the draft pick busts? What happens if Fitz is better than the qb that is brought in? The Bills are not that far away and have been building themselves up the last few years - why would anyone want to see this destroyed? Why would anyone ignore the improvements and ask for this to be blown up and start over?

I just don't get it.

It's an option when you set up the poll. If you did it from a phone the option may not have been easily visible like if you had done it on a cpu.

Back to the topic though we are up to 40 people who want to lose out! I never thought it would get that high. Playoffs or not the improvement of the team is what I am looking for. The team put 4 wins then 6, I'd like to see at least 8 this year and feel that the Bills are on their way up. To the crowd that is worried that means more of Chan, Fitz, and Wanny - I would like to see the Bills stay the course because I feel the Bills are moving in the right direction.

Other teams have wins against crappy teams and they count but when the Bills do it the games don't count because they should have beaten the team anyway.

Other teams struggle through portions of the season but when the Bills do it fans want to lose out for a better draft pick while the team is still mathematically alive for the playoffs!

Other teams regularly draft in the later part of the rounds with great success but the Bills could never do that.

Other teams have made the playoffs at 9-7 (heck the last 2 sb winners were 9-7) but the Bills are so far away they can't even sniff the playoffs (even though they can still possibly finish 9-7.

Other teams have been blown out by the Texans and 49ers but when the Bills do it it's because no one on the team deserves to play in the NFL.

Other teams fail on last second drives but when the Bills do it it's because Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst qb in the league.

Other teams qbs miss passes and have bad games but when Ryan Fitzpatrick does it it's because he is the worst qb in the league.

Lastly I understand the frustration of the last 12 years but each year needs to be viewed in a vacuum. The Bills have shown improvement this year and I'd like to see it continue. For all of the people that want to blow it up and start over what happens if the hires are worse? What happens if the draft pick busts? What happens if Fitz is better than the qb that is brought in? The Bills are not that far away and have been building themselves up the last few years - why would anyone want to see this destroyed? Why would anyone ignore the improvements and ask for this to be blown up and start over?

I just don't get it.

> The Bills have shown improvement this year and I'd like to see it continue.

I can see this logic--at least to an extent. However, there has been one franchise QB in Bills' history: Jim Kelly. It's not like the Bills have the option of drafting 1/3 of a franchise QB one year, another 20% of a franchise QB another year, and so forth; only to finally merge the fractional pieces together into one complete franchise QB. A franchise QB must be drafted in one big lump, or not at all.

Of the QBs who will be available in the upcoming draft, Barkley appears to have the best potential to become the franchise QB the Bills desperately need. The Bills are a franchise QB away from having a very special offense. The problem is that other teams also need franchise QBs, and other teams can see Barkley's potential. He will go early in the draft.

If the Bills go 9-7, they will have the following options come draft day:

1. Do nothing about the QB position; and content themselves with Fitzpatrick for yet another year.

2. Trade the house to move up to grab Barkley. This would give them a solid chance of upgrading the QB position, but would deprive the team of other players or valuable draft picks.

3. Stay put, and take a lesser QB prospect than Barkley. This creates a higher probability of the chosen QB being a bust. It also implies that the chosen QB might well have a lower ceiling; much like Joe Flacco's ceiling is lower than Matt Ryan's.

I can't say I'm in love with any of the above options. If I had to choose from the above three, I'd take option 2. The nice thing about losing out is that you get to take a very good prospect like Barkley, with much less trade-up pain than would have been the case, had you traded up for Barkley after going 9-7.

> The Bills are not that far away and have been building themselves up the last few years - why would anyone want to see this destroyed?

It's not about seeing anything destroyed. I want to see the Bills get a franchise QB, with as little destruction to the team as possible. Many of the remaining teams on our schedule are legitimately better than us. A number of others are comparable. It wouldn't take much for the Bills to lose out. A few unlucky breaks, a few fluke plays, a few bad officiating calls, a few key players having an underwhelming second half of the season. It could be done. The hope would then be to draft the franchise QB, and to correct whatever flaws caused the Bills to lose out over the rest of this season.

In years passed, I would've said lose out. Not this year. Our talent level is much better than our record dictates. I believe we're only a few pieces (WR, 2 LBers, QB) away from being a great team. On top of all that there aren't any real slam dunk prospects coming out this year's draft so losing out wouldn't be worth it. At this point, we need to learn how to win more than anything else.

Edited by NoJustice

In years passed, I would've said lose out. Not this year. Our talent level is much better than our record dictates. I believe we're only a few pieces (WR, 2 LBers, QB) away from being a great team. On top of all that there aren't any real slam dunk prospects coming out this year's draft so losing out wouldn't be worth it. At this point, we need to learn how to win more than anything else.

If the Bills are only a "couple of pieces" (QB, Three LBs, C, WR, CB, S?) away, then wouldn't it be better for the Bills to lose out and have a better shot at obtaining those pieces? Especially if, as you say, they are better than their record indicates -- though I'm not sure what evidence there is for that.

I'd rather win out. Not just because I hate losing, but winning this year leads to more winning next year. I was screaming at Wannstedt through my TV for most of the first half, but if the defence is improving it will carry over to next year.

I also think key free agents like Byrd and Levitre are more likely to re-sign with the Bills if they are winning.

Thought about this for a long time.....winning changes the culture of losing. Play to win every time you step on the field has to become the culture.

The Bills haven't been an awful team for over a decade because of a culture of losing. They have been awful because they've had less talent playing and coaching than other teams have had. Anything that allows this group to deem this terrible season (and if they fail to make the playoffs then it's terrible regardless of the record) as making progress sets the team back even further.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that the team loses intentionally, but I can't believe there are people who don't think that losing out is better for this team long term.

Edited by Pondslider

If the Bills are only a "couple of pieces" (QB, Three LBs, C, WR, CB, S?) away, then wouldn't it be better for the Bills to lose out and have a better shot at obtaining those pieces? Especially if, as you say, they are better than their record indicates -- though I'm not sure what evidence there is for that.

Yes, I believe our record doesn't reflect our talent level. Poor quarterback play and coaching cost us the game against the Titans, Colts, and the Pats.

QB is the only position that can single-handedly lift a whole organization on his back. See Denver, Washington and Indy. If there were a sure fire, can't miss quarterback prospect available to us this year then I'm all for losing out, but there isn't.

Even with the first overall pick (which would be impossible for us to obtain) in this coming draft, I don't see immediate upgrades to our roster outside of Manti Te'o. After the first round, who do you see as definite upgrades to:

Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Hairston/Pears, Spiller, Freddie, Stevie J, Chandler, Mario, Marcell, Kyle Williams, Kyle Moore, Barnett, Gilmore, Byrd, Wilson/Searcy, McKelvin, and Brooks?

We've got some good talent here. Learning how to win is the most important thing, right now.

Win every game. Why would anyone want to see anything less?

Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds resilience.

People complain that we only beat teams with losing records. Is it better to lose to them?

Winning gets free agents to want to come play here. Our own free agents will want to stay.

Winnning gets coaches to want to come coach here. Or our coaches stick around and we don't have to blow things up every three years.

Winning gets fans to pay for tickets so the team stays here.

And I'll add another thing. Especially win against the Dolphins and the Jets so that the division knows that they can't just pencil in a "w" when they see us on the schedule.