Weird: Buffalo gets no NFL early game on TV

PromoTheRobot

The map reminds me of how ridiculous the NFL's blackout policy is. (And the Bills fully endorse it, by the way.) The Syracuse affiliate is blacked out because a sliver of its range extends into the 75-mile blackout radius. The rationale behind the blackout policy is that if you're a local fan and the game's not sold out, you should just buy a ticket and go to the game. So yeah, someone in or East of Syracuse should just buy a ticket, hop in their car, drive 4 hours each way, and enjoy a great football game.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The map reminds me of how ridiculous the NFL's blackout policy is. (And the Bills fully endorse it, by the way.) The Syracuse affiliate is blacked out because a sliver of its range extends into the 75-mile blackout radius. The rationale behind the blackout policy is that if you're a local fan and the game's not sold out, you should just buy a ticket and go to the game. So yeah, someone in or East of Syracuse should just buy a ticket, hop in their car, drive 4 hours each way, and enjoy a great football game.

And yet Elmira is okay. :doh: Actually these blackout zones are based on analog TV coverage from the 70's. Now with TV in digital the coverage is way less. Syracuse (and by extension Utica) should be removed from the blackout zone.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And yet Elmira is okay. :doh: Actually these blackout zones are based on analog TV coverage from the 70's. Now with TV in digital the coverage is way less. Syracuse (and by extension Utica) should be removed from the blackout zone.

PTR

My co-worker was able to get the game in Batavia for some reason but I was blacked out in Rochester. Not illegally either, on regular damn cable.

EDIT: This was probably 2 season ago though, he is blacked out now.

Edited by The Wiz

Interesting, that in the 1pm slot, the Buffalo TV area is the only place in the entire country where there will not be an NFL game on television.

Oops, I take that back. San Francisco area has no game either.

Edited by theesir

Absolutely nobody wants to see Jacksonville and Buffalo play. No great surprise. Look at the limited area where this game will be televised. It is a perfect fit for the two team's records.

Both teams deserve it. When you stink that bad, nobody cares...

Yes it's on DTV, ST but if you live in any of the region that's backed out due to no sell out, it's also blacked out on Sunday Ticket. I have ST this year for the first time and I live in NC so here can watch it. I will admit I've enjoyed ST more than I thought I would, mainly watching other games that weren't on locally.

Wow, I just thought that meant it got blacked out on the local channels. To live in the buffalo area and own the ticket, I'd expect to see every game. I'd never buy the ticket if I still lived in upstate ny. What a ripoff.

Wow, I just thought that meant it got blacked out on the local channels. To live in the buffalo area and own the ticket, I'd expect to see every game. I'd never buy the ticket if I still lived in upstate ny. What a ripoff.

That is just it, you are paying the NFL for its service. They should not have the right to limit the service on some, even though the price is the same for all. It is criminal what the NFL does, as blackouts do not increase attendance.

PTR

Many years ago the Bills were on NBC. There is an NBC station in Utica, so we got to see the games that are blacked out. When they switched to CBS we became blacked out because the CBS station on our cable comes from Syracuse, which used to be received within the blackout zone.

Now the digital signal from Syracuse doesn't reach the blackout zone. I don't know the rationale, but I know that someone made a conscious decision to maintain the blackout rule anyway.

Our dilema is really a blessing in disguise, think about it if there was an early game on TV we would be subject to the odd "gamebreak" and be forced to watch some slapstick comedy playcall or action from our Bills that we are choked into watching..Ha jokes on you RALPH...A Bills free SUNDAY.....:)

Red Zone is the best channel! Time Warner has it now.... they don't just show you when the games are in the Red Zone (like they used to). Now they do extended look-ins when no team is in the RZ.

No commericals, no stoppages, no breaks.... the only problem is that going back to watching just one game is really hard after you've become accustomed to non-stop action