Jauron vs Gailey, Who's better, not even close!

Agreed, but it doesn't mean you're going to like it.

And, hence, our dilemma with Jauron vs. Gailey. Jauron is a punch to the balls. Gailey is a jab to the face. Would rather have Gailey.

We Bills fans are sad creatures. Been getting punched for 12 years. When will this team be relevant again?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, hence, our dilemma with Jauron vs. Gailey. Jauron is a punch to the balls. Gailey is a jab to the face. Would rather have Gailey.

We Bills fans are sad creatures. Been getting punched for 12 years. When will this team be relevant again?

When we sign a high priced free agent......whoa. Wait a minute....

The one thing that Jauron did well was put together a pretty good game plan to exercise damage control with a really bad team.

I honestly think DJ did a good job those first two years (in 2006 with Losman starting all 16 games and in 2007 with the ridiculous rash of injuries) to actually get to 7-9. His bend-but-don't break defense and plodding offense tended to shorten the game, which is why we rarely saw blowout defeats but all too many 4th quarter heart breakers. That is the type of football you play when your team is devoid of talent and you are just trying to survive the season.

The problem, of course, is that he was never able to get beyond that style of play -- and the horrible personnel decisions (some of his own making) never remedied the root cause of the problem. Also, the style of defense when it is not working -- which was always the case against Brady's Pats, for example -- is more like death-by-a-thousand-paper-cuts than bend-but-don't-break.

In the case of both Jauron and Gailey, I have to wonder how much better they would be as coaches if they had a legitimate franchise QB. In Jauron's case, the defense was usually at least adequate whereas the offense was so putrid. The opposite is the case with Gailey.

the better question would be Jauron/FO Vs. Nix/Gailey. What do you prefer?

Jauron had better records as a HC but he kept recycling his roster with none apparent improvements. Gailey chose his QB and systems and is failing as a HC but I believe the overall talent that he will probably leave on the table when he's replaced, is better than what Jauron left at the time of his firing.

A new HC could be lured with the talent in place right now, I can't say the same thing 4 years ago, with no OL and DL.

Jauron/Levy had two 7-9 seasons and was in the middle of a 3rd when he got replaced by Fewell. Since then Gailey/Nix has led us to 4-12 then 6-10 and what looks no better than 7-9 this season. So we fire one coach/GM and three years later MIGHT get back to where we were. We paid Jauron the past three years with Gailey and now we want to do this again with Gailey! Nix finally gets he needs to draft a Franchise QB three years later. REALLY!!!!

Make this real simple, at the end of the season Ralph Wilson needs to fire all admin and coaching staff, Overdorf, Brandon, Nix and Gailey, everyone who makes decsions.

Next offer Bill Polian President and Chris Polian GM. Let them do what they do, don't forget they built us, Carolina's and then the Colts. All were a real mess or just starting. Bill loves Buffalo and Ralph needs to step back completely like he did with Donahue but trust a true and blue football man.

Isn't comparing the two kinda like comparing two turds and asking which one stinks worse? They both were bad, but Jauron had a better record, and I would say Gailey has had better talent, so I have to go DJ-painfully.

the better question would be Jauron/FO Vs. Nix/Gailey. What do you prefer?

Jauron had better records as a HC but he kept recycling his roster with none apparent improvements. Gailey chose his QB and systems and is failing as a HC but I believe the overall talent that he will probably leave on the table when he's replaced, is better than what Jauron left at the time of his firing.

A new HC could be lured with the talent in place right now, I can't say the same thing 4 years ago, with no OL and DL.

A new HC can be lured anytime, there are only 32 positions in the league, but a top notch HC won't be lured to a organization with a 94 year old owner, who when he passes the team could be sold to the highest bidder, and a team with no quarterback.

If you look at the record, Jauron is better.

If you actually use your eyes and brain, Gailey is better by a wide margin.

Are you serious or just in the middle of an all night binge? The only thing that matters in PROFESSIONAL football is winning, and although DJ didn't do it much, he did it much more then Gailey did with superior talent.

Jauron/Levy had two 7-9 seasons and was in the middle of a 3rd when he got replaced by Fewell. Since then Gailey/Nix has led us to 4-12 then 6-10 and what looks no better than 7-9 this season. So we fire one coach/GM and three years later MIGHT get back to where we were. We paid Jauron the past three years with Gailey and now we want to do this again with Gailey! Nix finally gets he needs to draft a Franchise QB three years later. REALLY!!!!

Make this real simple, at the end of the season Ralph Wilson needs to fire all admin and coaching staff, Overdorf, Brandon, Nix and Gailey, everyone who makes decsions.

Next offer Bill Polian President and Chris Polian GM. Let them do what they do, don't forget they built us, Carolina's and then the Colts. All were a real mess or just starting. Bill loves Buffalo and Ralph needs to step back completely like he did with Donahue but trust a true and blue football man.

I'm with you on this one !!!!!

If you look at the record, Jauron is better.

If you actually use your eyes and brain, Gailey is better by a wide margin.

I would have agreed with you before the Titans game. Chan lost that game for us, plain and simple. We have so much more talent than they do, and we had the game in hand. Brutal display of decision making, play calling and risk taking. I was embarrassed for Chan trying to explain away his obvious mistakes in the post game.

A super nice guy, understands NFL offenses. Needs a head coach to keep him from melting down at critical times.

Edited by Webster Guy

Dickie always played to be in every game and stole a few along the way. Chan will for the most part play to win the game , this results in some ugly final scores . In the end Jouron plays to be 8-8 and hopes to get lucky and win ten. Chan seems to be going for it , results have not been good, but the games have been more exciting. The Jouron games were brutal to watch. The ball is in Chan's court at this point he probably one more season to get better results. I fully expect a solid finish(after the beating this week) maybe 5-2 down the stretch. The schedule is so weak anything less then 4 then he should be shown the door asap

Dickie always played to be in every game and stole a few along the way. Chan will for the most part play to win the game , this results in some ugly final scores . In the end Jouron plays to be 8-8 and hopes to get lucky and win ten. Chan seems to be going for it , results have not been good, but the games have been more exciting. The Jouron games were brutal to watch. The ball is in Chan's court at this point he probably one more season to get better results. I fully expect a solid finish(after the beating this week) maybe 5-2 down the stretch. The schedule is so weak anything less then 4 then he should be shown the door asap

Hard to say- both have different personnel and the opponents are different as well. My gut says Jauron was better- I think his teams played harder, but were even less talented. It has been so long since we have been talented, that Bills fans forget what talent looks like (ie: thinking Schobel and Parrish were great players)

Therefore it is time to extend Gailey's contract.

LMAO! ... you understand the organization.

Also, first Nix & Gailey foolishly put their faith in Edwards, even to the point of humiliating some young male fans during training camp who knew what Edwards was all about. Then they hitched their future success, again, foolishly, to a career journeyman backup QB, both times arduously insisting implicitly that they knew what they were doing, and now after three seasons, the "proving period" for new GMs and head coaches, they want a mulligan! Isn't that just the flippin' dandy!

Talk about chutzpah!

Meanwhile, all that they have proven is that they're both terrible in those roles and clearly don't have the first flippin' clue as to what they're doing. This was all fully predictable I might add.

But again, how many Bills fans and people, even here, were applauding or at least not condemning their hires at the time that this idiocracy of an organization made them.

Next time, unless Wilson fires these tards and does get someone like Bill Polian, who if I'm not mistaken is idle right now and loves Buffalo, instead of everyone talking about how other dimwits just like Gailey or Nix, not to mention the rest of the suit-selling organization, are "experts" and know more than we do, they should call the organization on the carpet and post their vote of "no sale" by not catering to further idiocy and negligence by not buying anything, including tickets.

Odds of that happening are slim to nil as PT Barnum's statement that "a fool and his money are soon parted" will be in full play even if they draft some QB stooge in round 2 or 3. They'll buy lipstick by the gallon and apply it liberally to the next pig and the line asking for dates will be out the doors at OBD.

As to Gailey, he may very well be the worst gameday coach that the team has seen in the era of free-agency.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Chan Gailey career NFL head coaching record: 31-43 = 41.9%

Dick Jauron's career NFL head coaching record: 60-82 = 42.3%

According to this stat, Jauron has a very slight edge on who sucks less. However, my eye test says Gailey is better. Under Jauron, the Bills could almost never move the ball and on defense had a fairly successful "bend but don't break" style. This lead to unwatchable games for a fan as the other team would consistently convert on 3rd down while the Bills never could. I would prefer Gailey.

Who's better? They both suck bigtime.

Of course you're right BUT if/when there are coaching vacancies there's usually a very short line of qualified candidates.

Buffalo and the BILLS get no national respect, so it's a tough sell to get any good people interested in taking the jobs. On top of that, Ralph could be close to the big dirt nap, and when that happens, what happens with respect to the BILLS future?

Interesting. Gailey has a considerably worse record with the Bills than Jauron did, is no more emotional than Jauron, seems to be infinitely more clueless than Jauron week to week, and as far as clock management goes I'd have to call it a tie because when you get as bad as they both are it's impossible to distinguish. Yet to you Jauron was "the most infuriatingly terrible coach ever". Care to elaborate? Or is it just another of my favorite "intangible, gut feel" things?

How are you quantifying the bolded part? I would say it's the opposite. And yes I would care to elaborate:

--Reaching the 30 on the potential winning drive against Cleveland on MNF and then sitting on the ball to attempt a 47 FG in a freezing cold night game (it was missed).

--Having an inexperienced Edwards throwing into the end zone in the 4Q on MNF v. the Cowboys when a FG would have forced the Cowboys to score 2 TDs to win (it was picked).

--Doing God-knows-what in the red zone vs. the Pats in the wind game. Didn't even manage to get a FG attempt off. (Bills lost 13-0).

--Dominating the Jets on the ground while running out the clock and the call is.....JP on a rollout. (fumble, TD, game lost).

I don't give a hoot about records. Jauron was the most infuriatingly terrible coach ever.

Totally agree...I don't know how the guy won a single game to be honest...I don't think he could hold Gailey's jock...And I don't think Gailey is all that great either... B-)