Drafting a Quarter back.

Nitro

Premium round (1st thru 3rd) draft picks. 2005 - Charlie frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene. 2006- Vince Young, Mat Leinhart, Kellen CLemens, Charile Whitehurst, Bradie Croyle. 2007 - JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards. 2008 - Brian Bohm, Chad Henne, Kevin O'Connell. 2009- Pat White. 2010 - Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy. Drafting a franchise QB is a minefield. Misses are greater than hits. The Bills, unfortunately, are stuck with a 7th rounder in Fitzpatrick. The prospects of landing a quality and difference making QB are remote. On average there are 2 that meet this standard. Unless management has a change in philospohy ala Washington and making a big trade in the draft, they will be chasing aftere ghosts in trying to get a franchise QB.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather be chasing ghosts and give me some kind of hope other than placing all my hope in Fitz. I like Fitz but he is no franchise QB, he would be a great mentor and teacher for our QB of the future. Not saying we have to trade our draft away but we have too much talent on this team now and they just need a leader they can believe in. You can tell when they are on the field that they aren't playing all out for Fitz and it is sad, but I think Fitz plateaued and we have nobody on the bench to step in with any future on the team. I say no matter what we draft the best QB available this year where we pick. The only way I would trade up would be to use this draft and this draft only to move up, not giving away any of our future first rounders. Look at what the Dolphins got at 8, they got Tannehill and he was questioned when he was chosen but he proved critic wrong I think, also look at the Vickings I think they got ponder early before us last year and he is a very productive starter with an upside, that is something we don't have.

Your right it is hit and miss, however your post lacks subjectivity.......wheres the other qbs that are doing good.I.E Andy Dalton. Joe Flacco, Russel Wilson etc....

Alot of people make posts on here and only include the info that makes them look smart? You could make a post and list just the QBs that have turned out to be successes and say it always works too. You just happened to leave Aaron Rodgers, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Andy Dalton, Jake Locker, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler and Alex Smith just to name some of them that were also drafted in the first 3 rounds in the same time frame, and most of these have taken their team to the playoffs at least once. Bottom line, if you don't try, you will never get the franchise QB that you need to win. Edited by BuffBill

I decided to do a little research and look at every QB drafted in the first round over the last 15 years (43 in total). I broke them into four categories in order to evaluate them (Great, Above Average, Below Average, Bust). You can check out how I ranked them below. I used my best guess on the guys that are less than 3 years out but I tried to do it as objectively as possible.

This is what I came up with overall:

16.3% great

30.2% above average

30.2% below average

23.3% bust

If you look at just QBs drafted in the top 10 (26 in total):

19.2% great

30.8% above average

26.9% below average

23.1% bust

So essentially it looks like you have pretty much exactly a 50% chance of getting something good out of drafting a QB in the top 10. Surprisingly, the odds dont drop off too much for the entire first round (46.5%). The Bills are 0/1 in the past 15 years on drafting guys in the first round, they really haven't taken too many chances. Odds are the next one will work out, right?

The potential first round picks in this years draft are:

M Barkely (USC)

G Smith (WV)

T Wilson (ARK)

L Jones (OU)

Gotta get one of the first 2 in my option.. here's to hoping we do.

Here's my research:

QBs Drafted

1998 - P Manning (1), R Leaf (2)

1999 - T Couch (1), D McNabb (2), Ak Smith (3), D Culpepper (11), C McNown (12)

2000 - C Pennington (18)

2001 - M Vick (1)

2002 - D Carr (1), J Harrington (3), P Ramsey (32)

2003 - C Palmer (1), B Leftwich (7), K Boller (19) , R Grossman (22)

2004 - E Manning (1), P Rivers (4), B Roethlisberger (11), JP Losman (22)

2005 - A Smith (1), A Rodgers (24), J Campbell (25)

2006 - V Young (3), M Leinart (10), J Cutler (11)

2007 - J Russell (1), B Quinn (22)

2008 - M Ryan (3), J Flacco (18)

2009 - M Stafford (1), M Sanchez (5), J Freeman (17)

2010 - S Bradford (1), T Tebow (25)

2011 - C Newton (1), J Locker (8), B Gabbert (10), C Ponder (12)

2012 - A Luck (1), R Griffin (2), R Tannehill (8), B Weeden (22)

Great (7)

P Manning, E Manning, P Rivers, B Roethlisberger, A Rodgers, M Ryan, A Luck

Above Average (13)

D McNabb, D Culpepper, C Pennington, M Vick, C Palmer, A Smith, J Cutler, J Flacco, M Stafford, C Newton, J Locker, C Ponder, R Griffin

Below Average (13)

D Carr, B Leftwich, R Grossman, J Campbell, V Young, B Quinn, M Sanchez, J Freeman, S Bradford, T Tebow, B Gabbert, R Tannehill, B Weeden

Bust (10)

R Leaf, T Couch, Ak Smith, C McNown, J Harrington, P Ramsey, K Boller, JP Losman, M Leinart, J Russell

Sounds like a reasonable analysis, although I think you'll see a bit of disagreement with your subjective categorizations. I would have liked to see a fifth category, "Average", since there are a number of guys you put in "Above Average" that I think are generous, such as Culpepper, Pennington, Locker, and Ponder.

But yeah, a 50% hit rate isn't that bad, all things considered. Part of it also has to do with guys who were drafted in the first round who probably shouldn't have been (Losman, Tebow, etc).

Yea you're probably right. I just wanted to have a clear split one way or another. I think Culpepper and Pennington are closer to above average than they are to below average. They were good starters in the league for multiple years. With the new guys I just used what we've seen so far but I agree that there isn't much evidence to support either way.

I think no matter what.. we definitely need to spend a first round pick on a QB this year.

I could have included all the QBs that are successful but the point was here are a bunch of fellows who were thought of being QBs of the future. I want the Bills to draft a better than average QB. Last year was the best chance to land a quality QB for the future. I was hoping they would land Ponder. This next draft is a must to get new talent under center.

Lots of names missing but you definitely can't forget when the Bills step out in the 1st round and trade up for JP Losman..

I liked the move at the time. We needed a franchise QB and he seemed to fit the requirements to be sucessful in Buffalo.

Sadly, I think that trade has served as a reminder to the Bills FO why you dont trade up to draft a QB

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

You conveniently left out half of the QBs who are starting in the NFL who were drafted in rounds 1-3 over the past decade.

This.

The OP is highly misleading

You also need to remember Nearly ALL franchise QBs were very highly drafted. It's very rare and the exception to find one late in the draft

Gotta do your homework and roll the dice and hope you pick correctly