Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

I hadn't seen him play much until last night, but obviously he had a really bad game against the best team he had played. I would be very disappointed with him at #8, and think we will have better talent available there than him, even if at another position.

I am still if favor of a weighted BPA (meaning not just how good you are at your position, but how important it is to have an above-average player at that position) with only a slight factoring in on positional need, or else you end up drafting less total talent and spread out over the first five years of a player have less total talent on your roster. Needs change year to year while your draft picks hopefully stick around over that span.

Nix reached on Troup positionally, but he has generally gone with the player he thought was best (and failed in talent evaluation rather than strategy). I hope and expect that to be our strategy under the new regime with Nix still the GM.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when did that happen? I hadn't anything about that. I usually don't follow college ball a whole lot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/manti-teo-notre-dame-comforts-parents-of-dying-girl-with-letter-grief-cancer-102512

There is little doubt he was terrible last night. Alabama physically dominated ND. It was boys vs. men. But I'm not going to discount a 4 year career over one game. He was great against Stanford and USC and they are loaded with NFL talent. He probably fell out of the top but if was a team that needed a ILB later in the round, I'd be all over him. Doug Williams isn't a HOF because he was a SB MVP and Te'O isn't a scrub because he had a bad game. Ray Lewis was considered washed up before he got Ngata. However after he got the animal in front of him, magically he became a star again.

Te'O was exposed last night just like the entire ND team.

The SEC is the best football anywhere.

Te'O struggled against the best college talent there is. How could a team consider taking him in the first round now after seeing that game.

I am sorry guys, but the Bills need 3 LBs and a qb before next season. I just hope Te'O is not one of them.

Good kid and great story i like how he plays and carries himself. He is not worthy of a first round pick.

Te'O was exposed last night just like the entire ND team.

The SEC is the best football anywhere.

Te'O struggled against the best college talent there is. How could a team consider taking him in the first round now after seeing that game.

I am sorry guys, but the Bills need 3 LBs and a qb before next season. I just hope Te'O is not one of them.

Good kid and great story i like how he plays and carries himself. He is not worthy of a first round pick.

Funny that the the terrible Big East smoked 2 SEC schools in bowls this year.

Alec Ogletree is an interesting guy at LB. He is a converted Saftey listed at 6'2.5 and 235 lbs. Kid can cover and rush the passer. He would need to put on 15 lbs to play MLB in the 4-3. UGA runs a base 3-4 D. He is tough and learning how to fill better on the run but still raw. He is a bit of a reach maybe at 8 and not sure he will be there in the second.

Now is he shows up at the combine around 250# and has not los a step and has all his agility still, the Bills would be silly not to take him at 8. There are not many 3 down LB's like Patrick Willis around. Ogletree could be that type of guy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21512472/nfl-draft-bcs-title-game-observations

Savvy talent evaluators certainly won't overreact to one poor performance. But make no mistake, struggles in a game this big -- against a well-coached, pro-style offense with speed -- will have an adverse effect on Te'o. The 6-2, 255-pound linebacker had boosted his stock this season by providing an emphatic answer to concerns about his ability in coverage, notching seven interceptions.

Despite his gaudy production as a tackler (103 tackles) and interceptor, talent evaluators still worried if he had the sideline-to-sideline speed necessary in today's NFL.

Beaten to the edge and slipping off Alabama's running backs repeatedly, Te'o failed to provide the rock in the middle that the Irish faithful had come to rely on all season long. And with less than ideal speed, Te'o isn't expected to work out well -- at least not as well as Georgia's Alec Ogletree and LSU's Kevin Minter, two highly productive, highly athletic SEC linebackers who ended their respective careers with eye-popping performances in their bowl games.

Funny that the the terrible Big East smoked 2 SEC schools in bowls this year.

Seriously?

Come on man. The SEC is by far the best confrence for football. If you try to arguee that you are showing you do not watch a lot of college football.

Bama, UGA, Texas A&M, and even South Carolina would have all crushed Notre Dame.

Florida layed an egg against Louisville. No doubt about it. This was kind of a down year for the SEC and they still had 5 teams finish in the top 10 and are 7 years straight and counting for the NC.

To say anything else then the SEC is the best is just silly.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I wish people would stop tearing this guy up. He is a good solid player. He and many of his teammates had a real bad game.

It isn't easy with 49 days off. Nick Saban is much better at getting his team prepared. I think he will redeem himself at the senior bowl and combine and still be a high first round pick.

I wish people would stop tearing this guy up. He is a good solid player. He and many of his teammates had a real bad game.

It isn't easy with 49 days off. Nick Saban is much better at getting his team prepared. I think he will redeem himself at the senior bowl and combine and still be a high first round pick.

No excuses for ND or Teo. Brian Kelly is a top notch coach. The Irish just got exposed as an overrated team by the Tide. They are just not nearly as good as Alabama and they were simply outclassed.

http://www.cbssports...me-observations

Savvy talent evaluators certainly won't overreact to one poor performance. But make no mistake, struggles in a game this big -- against a well-coached, pro-style offense with speed -- will have an adverse effect on Te'o. The 6-2, 255-pound linebacker had boosted his stock this season by providing an emphatic answer to concerns about his ability in coverage, notching seven interceptions.

Despite his gaudy production as a tackler (103 tackles) and interceptor, talent evaluators still worried if he had the sideline-to-sideline speed necessary in today's NFL.

Beaten to the edge and slipping off Alabama's running backs repeatedly, Te'o failed to provide the rock in the middle that the Irish faithful had come to rely on all season long. And with less than ideal speed, Te'o isn't expected to work out well -- at least not as well as Georgia's Alec Ogletree and LSU's Kevin Minter, two highly productive, highly athletic SEC linebackers who ended their respective careers with eye-popping performances in their bowl games.

One of the flags on him going into the year was his tackling technique. Savvy talent evaluators should be saying, "Hmm."

One of the flags on him going into the year was his tackling technique. Savvy talent evaluators should be saying, "Hmm."

well, yes and no - savvy talent evaluators should already have seen the speed issues and such in their ratings and likely didnt have him THAT high. message board posters and draft hype machines that had only evaluated him based on awards given should be saying "hmmmm"

well, yes and no - savvy talent evaluators should already have seen the speed issues and such in their ratings and likely didnt have him THAT high. message board posters and draft hype machines that had only evaluated him based on awards given should be saying "hmmmm"

Scouting doesn't follow hype. Sort of goes without saying and not at all what I meant.

At any rate, I had heard Te'o had improved his technique this season. After that game though, I'm not convinced and would want to see the tape. Not my gig though... ;)

Edit: Hype can and does get into the equation. Josh McDaniels bit hard for Tim Tebow, for instance. But then, maybe he wasn't all that savvy. Another case: the Bills bit for Aaron Maybin. B-)

I hadn't seen him play much until last night, but obviously he had a really bad game against the best team he had played. I would be very disappointed with him at #8, and think we will have better talent available there than him, even if at another position.

I am still if favor of a weighted BPA (meaning not just how good you are at your position, but how important it is to have an above-average player at that position) with only a slight factoring in on positional need, or else you end up drafting less total talent and spread out over the first five years of a player have less total talent on your roster. Needs change year to year while your draft picks hopefully stick around over that span.

I really like this idea! Here's a proposal which I'd run by the folks at DraftTek, giving you credit, Koufax. We have priority values that team analysts come up with (our QB P-value is 1, our OLB and WR P-values are 2, etc.). We'd assign a weighting for each position, and we'd figure out a formula using P-value and weighting that would pick the QB over OLB or WR if the score was higher. Something like:

QB=weighting of 1.9

RB=weighting of 1.7

CB=weighting of 1.4

WR=weighting of 1.4

DE=weighting of 1.6

DT=weighting of 1.3

TE=weighting of 1.2

LT=weighting of 1.6

Big Uglies=1.0

Safeties=1.0

I would love everybody's feedback on the wisdom of weighting positions.

I really like this idea! Here's a proposal which I'd run by the folks at DraftTek, giving you credit, Koufax. We have priority values that team analysts come up with (our QB P-value is 1, our OLB and WR P-values are 2, etc.). We'd assign a weighting for each position, and we'd figure out a formula using P-value and weighting that would pick the QB over OLB or WR if the score was higher. Something like:

QB=weighting of 1.9

RB=weighting of 1.7

CB=weighting of 1.4

WR=weighting of 1.4

DE=weighting of 1.6

DT=weighting of 1.3

TE=weighting of 1.2

LT=weighting of 1.6

Big Uglies=1.0

Safeties=1.0

I would love everybody's feedback on the wisdom of weighting positions.

My first thought is that positional weights would be quite different for every team.

GO BILLS!!!

Inside LBs are only as good as the DTs in front of them. Ray Lewis floundered after the Goose retired and revived after the BIlls passed on Ngota. Te'o will be good at the NFL level. Hard to be effective when Chance Warmack (top 10 ranked player) gets to the second level and is all over you. ND was not ready for the game. Saban out coached Kelly. It will not effect the draft status of any of those involved. If the Bills can get Te'o, I say grab him. We will not regret it.