How the Bills can beat the 49ers

sjjr

The Vikings beat the niners a couple of weeks ago by taking care of the ball and making Alex Smith beat them. The Bills can do the same thing.

Fitzpatrick has to play mistake free like Ponder did. Rudolph had 2 TDs against Whitner. Chandler can do that. The Bills need to stick to the running game even though it won't gain much, but just to stay on schedule more. On 3rd downs they need to make plays to move the chains. Maybe Donald Jones or TJ Graham can make some plays.

On defense, the Bills can do what the Vikings did. Their base front 7 is good enough to stop the run and force Alex Smith to make plays. The Bills have better CBs than the Vikings so it will be tougher for the 49ers WRs.

I know they looked bad last week but they are good enough to win today. They just can't turn the ball over and stop the run. If they do that, it should be a close game that they will have a chance to win.

The first thing I will be looking for is - do the Bills have enough heart to go out and fight for a win? We just witnessed them, particularly the D, quit on the field in an extremely critical division game.

S.F. is a solid playoff team. They beat Green Bay on the road, Detroit at home and spanked the Jets last week. This is their second home game and their crowd will be amped. Today you will see the difference between a well managed and well coached team and a team that has some talent but has been drifting aimlessly for the past 12 years. The difference will be clear to see. I expect the Niners to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Niners 34 Bills 13.

The first thing I will be looking for is - do the Bills have enough heart to go out and fight for a win? We just witnessed them, particularly the D, quit on the field in an extremely critical division game.

S.F. is a solid playoff team. They beat Green Bay on the road, Detroit at home and spanked the Jets last week. This is their second home game and their crowd will be amped. Today you will see the difference between a well managed and well coached team and a team that has some talent but has been drifting aimlessly for the past 12 years. The difference will be clear to see. I expect the Niners to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Niners 34 Bills 13.

I disagree that the Bills D quit due to a lack of heart. IMO the defensive scheme that was put in place by the coaches gave them no chance to succeed. Once the D realized that and saw the coaches unwilling to change, the effort was diminished.

I disagree that the Bills D quit due to a lack of heart. IMO the defensive scheme that was put in place by the coaches gave them no chance to succeed. Once the D realized that and saw the coaches unwilling to change, the effort was diminished.

well diminished effort and quitting are pretty much the same thing

The Vikings beat the niners a couple of weeks ago by taking care of the ball and making Alex Smith beat them. The Bills can do the same thing.

Fitzpatrick has to play mistake free like Ponder did. Rudolph had 2 TDs against Whitner. Chandler can do that. The Bills need to stick to the running game even though it won't gain much, but just to stay on schedule more. On 3rd downs they need to make plays to move the chains. Maybe Donald Jones or TJ Graham can make some plays.

On defense, the Bills can do what the Vikings did. Their base front 7 is good enough to stop the run and force Alex Smith to make plays. The Bills have better CBs than the Vikings so it will be tougher for the 49ers WRs.

I know they looked bad last week but they are good enough to win today. They just can't turn the ball over and stop the run. If they do that, it should be a close game that they will have a chance to win.

This is a good basic plan. The onus is on the Bills D line. Sure, the run support will be better with the base D, but the D line has to do a better job and not run out of gas like they did last week.

If SF isn't running no-huddle like the Pats*, the Bills will be able to spell the D linemen more and keep the studs fresh. I'd like the to think the Bills (the D especially) felt embarrassed and will be playing with a chip on their collective shoulder, and therefore perform with a little extra passion which could turn the tables in their favor.

As good as the Niners D is, I think the Bills O matches up well enough to keep the score close. You're right about keeping the ball on the ground and burning clock. I'd much rather see punts and sacks than Fitz throwing picks.

The Bills have a lot more to prove in this game than SF. I'm sure Harbaugh is wary of the trap game mentality, but I wonder if the Niners are truly ready for a Bills team that should be very motivated to prove this isn't the same ol' Bills.

Edited by uncle flap

IF Buffalo can run the ball they CAN win the game. BUT will CHAN stick to it, even if it is not working at first?

SF D is good but you can move the ball on them.

Just like last week, who ever wins the turn over battle and runs the ball better, will win.

Chan won't stick to the running game even if it IS working.

And I don't think the defense gave up last week. I think they were beat up. Scott is a good guy, and valuable on special teams, but he is a tweener. Too slow for SS, too small for LB. The offense realized that if they run at him, he will make the tackle after being dragged for five or six yards. Nobody gave up, they were beat up and out coached.

They need the following:

1) A TD return from McKelvin.

2) Big plays by the unheralded, such as Arthur Moats.

3) Spiller needs to break a long one, and not turn the ball over.

4) Fitz needs to run, and take his head out of his a$$.

5) Strong play by the DL.

6) A good kicking game.

How much of this do you guys think we can do?

They need the following:

1) A TD return from McKelvin.

2) Big plays by the unheralded, such as Arthur Moats.

3) Spiller needs to break a long one, and not turn the ball over.

4) Fitz needs to run, and take his head out of his a$$.

5) Strong play by the DL.

6) A good kicking game.

How much of this do you guys think we can do?

That all sounds good but mostly they need to win the turnover battle by at least 2. If they do that they have a solid chance of coming out ahead. Anything less and it's going to be tough.

Edited by MDH

The Bills need to match the intensity of the 49'ers D. If they come out soft and playing reseved, they'll get blown off the ball, punched in the mouht and the game will be over in the 1st quarter. Just come out mad, punch back and get some redemption.