Interesting Breakdown of Super Mario

Kipers Hair

It took me quite awhile to come around to buying into what Pro Football Focus was selling over the past few years but I've come to find them relatively credible--- this analysis is incredibly difficult to believe, however.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if some of this is subjective. I noticed a few times in the Chiefs game where it looked like a guard was ready to double MW, but didn't actually engage him because the ball was thrown or the RT didn't need the help. I suppose that doesn't count as a double team, though technically one less blocker was allocated to another defender, so it had the same effect.

I did some quick number crunching... And according to how many pass attempts the Bills have had against them I count 112 attempts.

Now, PFF says Mario has been in on 101 pass plays. Meaning he's only missed 11 pass plays? Since I am currently watching the Browns game I've seen him sit out about 2 series in the first half which was about 5 pass plays total...

So they are saying in the Jets/Cheifs games he sat out no pass plays basically? Like 3 each game?

The teams we have faced have all had decent olines..

The Browns have a solid O Line.. they only gave up 2 sacks to the Eagles, 2 sacks to the Bengals 1 sack to the Ravens but we got 4 sacks..

KC gave up 3 sacks to the Falcons, 3 to the Saints, we got 5 sacks.

We had a terrible game vs the Jets and got a goose egg..

I think your numbers bear consideration - other teams have done less against the same opponents - and Philly and Baltimore are no slouch teams. I'd like to add, as well, that I, too, think we're getting better each week, and that we won't be full force till somewhere near week 9 or 10. Also, our run defense has been excellent, I think - especially when it counts. A team usually is not dominant in both run defense and pass rush. Usually a great defense is one that no one can run on, and it just plays smart, 3 and out defense, without a ton of sacks. Or, you have the teams like the Giants of recent years, who sack the QB a lot, but who also give up the rushing yards. I think our defense has been focusing more on the run defense, and letting the pressure get there mostly with just the 4 men on the line - without blitzing a lot. All in all, I think we're in a good place, and I'm happy with our Defense - and, I just can't stress it enough, this defense is so young, and under a new coordinator - they are going to get better throughout most of the year.

The funny thing is, I could care less if these numbers are right. I've said all along 8-9 sacks, but a presence that will be felt all along the line is a better year than 13 sacks but no help.

I suppose it's just a coincidence K.Williams is on pace for 39 sacks and 77 tackles for loss. But seriously...the line looks fine and will only get better.

Thanks for posting. The article is way oversimplistic. Even if those stats are correct (which I serisouly doubt), then how do they explain the fact that we are averaging more sacks against teams with good O-lines (more sacks vs. CLE than Ravens) than we did last year. If Mario is not doubled, someone else is? So is that player just an all out stud?!? The sacks are coming from somewhere. Again, the numbers are wrong, and this whole article is garbage.

The funny thing is, I could care less if these numbers are right. I've said all along 8-9 sacks, but a presence that will be felt all along the line is a better year than 13 sacks but no help.

I suppose it's just a coincidence K.Williams is on pace for 39 sacks and 77 tackles for loss. But seriously...the line looks fine and will only get better.

Exactly! K.Williams to set all time sac record !

just win baby. anyone who has watched this team recently can tell how improved the defense is. mario is a big part of that and that is enough for me

Exactly. Can we see a whole 16 games until we all rush to Judgement. The jury is out on the whole 2012 Bills Team. Everyone is under scrutiny. Let's evaluate everyone at the end of the season or maybe closer to 12 games played before we start making any sort of conclusions...

I like how all these experts dismiss the effect Mario is having on the D-line as a whole. We were close to last in the league in sacks last year with half of this line. Now we add Mario and Mark and we're 6th in the league in the same category.

It's too early to base things on stats and rankings, but the eyeball test tells us that this is a much improved unit.

Aside from the addition of Mario Williams, part of the increase in sacks has been the return to health of 2010 sack leader Kyle Williams, the continuing development of 2011 sack leader Marcell Dareus, and the addition of Mark Anderson.

Williams has never been considered a great pass rusher… he's been considered an excellent all-around defensive end. The Bills overpaid to get Williams as a way to solidify the roster and establish credibility amongst players/fans/media.

I have no problem with the signing as the salary cap floor and revenues will continue to increase. While I don't view Williams as an elite player, he's a good addition and by the time he rides off into the sunset, there will be many defensive players who are paid more.

Acquiring Williams was a good move and the cost was simply the cost of trying to be competitive.

Currently, we are 8th in the NFL in sack with 9, an average of 3/game. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year=season_2012&sort=106&timeframe= LAst year, we were 4th worse in the entire NFL with a total of 29, or a 1.8/ game. I'm sure Mario has had zero impact on that.

Excellent putting things in perspective. Despite the disastrous first game, we are middle to above middle in D stats. And this with a reconstituted D and new DC. Better things are ahead

Run defense looks excellent. When was the last time that could be said. I think everyone expected the entire line to improve with Mario. If we make the playoffs and he has 8 sacks and KW has 11 and makes the ProBowl I coudl care less. I would rather teams focus on stopping him and then let KW and MD destroy the pocket and not let the QB step up. Down goes Brady. Down goes Brady. Don't care who it is...

I could have sworn I saw more chips and double teams in one game alone...but they are the experts right?

Not so super Mario

As has been the case through three games total, defensive end Williams is not getting the pressure the Bills paid $16 million a year for -- and it's not because opposing offenses are stacking up to block him, a ProFootballFocus.com study found. In 101 passing plays with Williams rushing, he has 1.5 sacks (PFF disputes the half-sack, claiming the sack should belong solely to tackle Marcel Dareus), with one additional quarterback hit and six pressures.

In three games, he has been double-team-blocked on four of the 101 passing plays, and chip-blocked (another blocker, a tight end or running back usually, helping momentarily while performing another task) another seven times. That means, according to PFF, that on 11 of 101 pass plays (11 percent), teams have devoted more than one blocker to Williams, at least for a short time with a chip.

Williams, at 292 pounds, has never been a cat-quick rusher, and therefore not likely to get as many sacks as a quicker rusher such as DeMarcus Ware. That's bearing out this season. For the Bills to get their money's worth, he has to hit the quarterback much more often. And for that to happen, he has to vary his rush technique but always rely the most on power. "When I looked out there,'' said coach Chan Gailey said in the wake of Sunday's Buffalo victory at Cleveland, "Mario went to the power rush, and that's what he's good at.'' Gailey's right: When in doubt, bull-rush.

In three games now on 101 passing plays, Williams has picked up:

• 1.5 sacks (adjusted to reflect NFL stats).

• 1 hit.

• 6 quarterback hurries.

He simply has to do more.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27ms50Y00

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz27mrx4HHh

I totally agree but he has improved slightly each game so hopefully he gets it together. It was annoying watching Paul Krugger Kick rookie Mitchell Schwartz's butt when Mario didn't.

Sure the sacks are not there...the QB pressure is not there...But there are two things I like about Mario.

1. He makes game changing plays at critical times.

2. He has really helped the run game be more stout. He has been the main stay in not letting a runner like Charles or Richardson get to the edges.