Pressure on Gailey and the Coaching Staff

CSBill

I'm not a huge Jerry Sullivan fan, but he nailed it with this one: Pressure Growing on Gailey to produce wins

As I watched the game last week, and saw the Bills get out-coached and out-played, I sat their wondering: "Does our coaching staff have a clue?" I hope they do, I want to believe they do, but today's game will be a huge test: time to do something different . . . let's see if they do.

Your thoughts?

I have a suspicion that Chan my be gone sooner. However, is Chan really the problem? Make no mistake, the Bills were flat out not ready last week vs the JETS. But can we all honestly say that Chan is focal point of the Bills problems? Is it Chan? Front Office? Both? Not defending Chan, but he came in and took over a BIG MESS of a roster. I guess I didn't realize how much the roster was devoid of talent at the end of 2009. Sure Buddy has been adding pieces, but it looks like it will take more time to build the roster to be even competitive because he hasn't exactly hit on every draft choice. It is obvious that the lack of talent at WR, LB and in Fitz are all becoming more and more glaring. Chan will most likely take the fall for this. I want to throw more darts at Marv for his time at GM, but folks on this board have had enough of hearing about that, so I wont.

When Chan gets the pink slip, whats happens next? The Bills elevate Wannstedt to interim HC then offer him the full set of keys????? That's an obvious step readily available and keeps the Bills from having to make to big of a house cleaning. Is that the right thing to do, however, especially when other issues are becoming bigger and bigger every day, such at the Stadium Lease. Get a BIG Time Coach in and the negotiations for the lease become more productive and the state probably becomes more confident that their investment in the Bills. At the end of the day however, I am not confident that the Bills can reel in a Big Time Coach, not because the Bills can't afford it, but because of the Front Office that is in place today. Front Office in my reply here means above Buddy and Doug Whaley. The Front Office is not in the same class as the Front Office's of teams consistently winning over the last 10 years - Pat's, Ravens, Steelers, GMEN, Eagles, Saints, etc. And in my opinion, the current Front Office is the true issue holding the Bills back from the major issues facing the franchise - Winning / Stadium Lease / Increased Profitability / etc.

Chiefs 16 - Bills 9.

I agree. The front office has been productive in marketing for an area with the current economy, and regionalizing the team. Ralph NEEDS to keep Buddy and Doug and give them the ability to keep building a team. I think we were the least talented team in the NFL in 2009. You just can't fix that pin two drafts, and 2010 wasn't even his draft.

As far as Chan, he needs to adapt or hit the door. I gave him a pass in the past due to a lack of talent he schemed around it, but he has some options now as far as building a big man's team that can push back a defense and run the ball. He can also build in some deep passing routes and not just maintain the predictability o f the short passing game.

If we blow up the mgmt component, we will be in he'll forever. They have to get more time to get the obvious WRs, TE, and LB, as well s of course a franchise QB.

We played one game...one. :doh:

PTR

It's the way they ended last season and then him being severely outcoached in week one. I think the frustrating thing is that Gailey doesn't make adjustments and doesn't play to the strengths of this team.

I not only wonder why Spiller wasn't the starter against the Jets, but why he wasn't given the ball 25 times. I wonder why the Bills continued to give huge cushions to the Jet's WRs in their quick passing attack.

Why is rookie Hill having a star starting receiver day against us and TJ graham isn't even dressing for the game? Let's face it Gailey has used all of his cache and there's no getting away from the "show me the baby" mantra. If we don't win today then it'll obviously be a crushing blow to everyone's playoff expectations and Gailey goes to the top of the list of hot seat coaches.

Gailey ought to be feeling some heat. But it's probably too soon to be BBQing him. This roster still has major holes. If Fitzpatrick plays all year the way he played at the end of last season and last week, it's time to cut bait and if Gailey / Nix are STILL adamant that Fitz, Pretty much everyone here would be on board with blowing it up. But especially if they go in another direction at QB and stop bitching and moaning about not being in the right spot to draft/get a true Franchise QB and just !@#$ing do it already, I would be satisfied enough to give them another year or two. As quickly as he canned Trentative Edwards, it's hard to fathom how he's going to stick with Fitz at this rate. And yet he has. Fitz is a GREAT guy; but it's becoming clear that he can't even be a mediocre serviceman QB.

Assuming the Bills have a terrible year.... We're left with the same situation --- who the hell would want to come here? No established, experienced coach who has ANY other option at a job in the NFL will touch Buffalo with a ten foot pole. You can argue one-of-only-32-jobs-in-the-world and you'd be wrong. Like it or not, Chan was the best we could get last time. Another few years on an owner who has one foot in the grave isn't likely to help here. No one wants to go into a situation like that. Super Mario or not, we are the dregs of the league. Don't expect a Reggie-White-signing-in-Green-Bay-like turnaround.

Wannstache would not be taking over at HC. One, he and Chan are friends. And two, I don't want him at HC. It would probably be a talented OC/DC hire again. And then he'll blow the whole thing up making it "his" team and we'll be right back at square negative five.

We played one game...one. :doh:

PTR

You're right PTR, it is just one game but as fans we've grown tired of the company line from Chan and company. I expect to see improvements from last week. I expect to see adjustments made if things aren't going well. All too often we've seen the team play a game and get totally dominated and not make the adjustments. If Wanny doesn't get the D in gear and proves that his game planning is far lagging against today's offenses, and Chan's offense continue to sputter, god help this team if Chan is released and Wanny takes over.

he came in and took over a BIG MESS of a roster. I guess I didn't realize how much the roster was devoid of talent at the end of 2009.

Chiefs 16 - Bills 9.

Really? A "BIG MESS"? The ster he inherited included Fitz, SJ, Freddie, Corie Mac, Levitre, Bell, Wood, Kelsay, Kyle Williams, McGee, McKelvin, George Wilson, Byrd, Lindell, Moorman...do these names sound familiar?

And how has he changed the QB "mess"? By bringing in Thigpen/Smith/Young/Jackson? How about WR? Ruvell Martin and TJ Graham (a guy who couldn't even start week one at a position of desperate need)? Are we really better at LB without Poz and with Barnett/Sheppard/Moats?

I have a suspicion that Chan my be gone sooner. However, is Chan really the problem? Make no mistake, the Bills were flat out not ready last week vs the JETS. But can we all honestly say that Chan is focal point of the Bills problems?

Isn't it part of the head coach's job description to ensure that the team is ready to play their opponent each week?

I think it is. So if the Bills looked like DIII football team who wandered by mistake into an NFL stadium (which they pretty much did), I think that falls on the coach.

Not defending Chan, but he came in and took over a BIG MESS of a roster. I guess I didn't realize how much the roster was devoid of talent at the end of 2009.

There are several roster puzzles with this perception of "big mess". One is that the Bills teams of the previous 2 years managed to put up 7-9 records.

Chan took over the team, and after one key roster loss (Schobel) and a couple possibly significant (Brad Butler, Kawika Mitchell?), added a bunch of players the likes of Reggie Torbor, Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, and Cornell Green, and managed to go 4-12. It is quite possible that if the D hadn't announced a switch from 4-3 to 3-4, Schobel might not have gone home. The existing personnel would have been a better fit.

Here are players starting for Gailey in 2010 and 2011 who were already here in 2009:

Offense:

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Fred Jackson

Stevie Johnson

Corey McIntyre

Demetress Bell

Andy Levitre

Eric Wood

(7/11 became Gailey's starters. We needed a #2 WR and a RT, possibly an upgrade at RG. Eventually added Urbik and Pears and replaced Bell with Glenn this year, after the C Green and Wang disasters)

Defense:

Chris Kelsay

Kyle Williams

Spencer Johnson

Terrence McGee

Leodis McKelvin

Drayton Florence

George Wilson

Jairus Byrd

(8/11 became starters for Gailey. Badly needed a pass rusher to replace Schobel and took 3 years to attempt to find one. Needed upgrades at CB and LB)

ST

Moorman

Lindell

Sanborn

The point is, a lot of familiar names who are still here and highly regarded today, were on the roster when Gailey took over. We were missing about 5 players on D and 3-4 on O. That is a bit much to fill in 1 draft and FA, but not too much for 2-3. And the right players with the right coaching and scheme could certainly have caused an improvement. So I can't agree that the roster was a complete mess. There were a bunch of draft busts and dead wood on it.

Really? A "BIG MESS"? The ster he inherited included Fitz, SJ, Freddie, Corie Mac, Levitre, Bell, Wood, Kelsay, Kyle Williams, McGee, McKelvin, George Wilson, Byrd, Lindell, Moorman...do these names sound familiar?

And how has he changed the QB "mess"? By bringing in Thigpen/Smith/Young/Jackson? How about WR? Ruvell Martin and TJ Graham (a guy who couldn't even start week one at a position of desperate need)? Are we really better at LB without Poz and with Barnett/Sheppard/Moats?

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Most fans still believe that Nix / Gailey inherited a bad team, they didn't! Gailey screwed himself with cronyism by hiring his buds from Georgia Tech, college assistants promoted to NFL assistants. The experienced NFL assistant he did hire was a complete moron in DC George Edwards. That one hire really made a bad defense much much worse, so bad in fact they set a franchise record for worst against the run in the 50+ year history of the team :doh:

Some questionable moves by Nix, and some horrific moves by Gailey is the reason for 10-23

It's only been 12 years. B-)

I'm sorry. I didn't realize Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey worked for the Bills for 12 years. I thought we had a parade of coaches and GMs in that span, starting over every two-three years. My mistake.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's the way they ended last season and then him being severely outcoached in week one. I think the frustrating thing is that Gailey doesn't make adjustments and doesn't play to the strengths of this team.

Bingo. NO adjustments, and just tries to keep on doing his thing no matter how futile.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey worked for the Bills for 12 years. I thought we had a parade of coaches and GMs in that span, starting over every two-three years. My mistake.

PTR

Don't be sorry, be smart,

I not only wonder why Spiller wasn't the starter against the Jets, but why he wasn't given the ball 25 times. I wonder why the Bills continued to give huge cushions to the Jet's WRs in their quick passing attack.

Why is rookie Hill having a star starting receiver day against us and TJ graham isn't even dressing for the game? Let's face it Gailey has used all of his cache and there's no getting away from the "show me the baby" mantra. If we don't win today then it'll obviously be a crushing blow to everyone's playoff expectations and Gailey goes to the top of the list of hot seat coaches.

Would you have started CJ over Fred?

When you quickly get behind 21-0 it makes it extemely difficult to hand the ball off 25 times

It wasnt the coaching, it was the quarterbacking. Fitz had time he made bad reads and bad throws against the best secondary in the league and put our defense in bad situations.

We lost by 20 if we can clean up the pick 6 and the punt return for a TD we its a six point game and this board isnt half as brutal.

We beat ourselves with turnovers.

Hill was a rookie nobody had film on him and nobody expected him to play a dominate first NFL game...My hats off to him.

It was one game and the first game of the season

Lets go Buffalo!!!

I've seen a lot of opening day ball games through the years. That being said, I can recall one hell of a lot of ugly games. However, it was very clear that the Jets came out with a game plan that was better than the Bills and on both sides of the ball. The game was just terrible and I have seen many good teams beat by not being prepared especially this early in the season.

The real test now, is how the team responds. The assessment that Gailey is under the gun is accurate. He has to produce or he will be gone. We are just heading into the 2nd game of the season though. I think Gailey will be OK if he can get some quality production going. All we can do as fans is be there to support them. If they still blow it, well........time for a change.