Replacement Refs Sucked Last Night

If this crew was supposedly the best one they could put out there for the national stage, end the bloody lockout now! There were more than a few instances of blatant holding and pass interference that were not called. It worries me that our passing attack is based so much on timing with our receivers, but if the DBs know that they can get away with murder (which I'm sure Rob is telling Rex) our offense will be stymied. And our defense is based around a supposedly great 4-man pass rush, but the O-line can hold all day long and get maybe one penalty.

Just needed to vent, this lockout crap year after years is :censored: !

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this crew was supposedly the best one they could put out there for the national stage, end the bloody lockout now! There were more than a few instances of blatant holding and pass interference that were not called. It worries me that our passing attack is based so much on timing with our receivers, but if the DBs know that they can get away with murder (which I'm sure Rob is telling Rex) our offense will be stymied. And our defense is based around a supposedly great 4-man pass rush, but the O-line can hold all day long and get maybe one penalty.

Really? Hardly noticed them.

Really? Hardly noticed them.

I noticed several non calls of PI and holding. Maybe it was more the angle but I am concerned because we know the Jets bring it. Cro likes to be physical and that could pose a problem. That could negate Spiller or any of our speedy catchers easily.

I completely disagree...The officiating crew was a non factor in the outcome of the game. They did just fine.

I completely disagree...The officiating crew was a non factor in the outcome of the game. They did just fine.

You can disagree. But they definitely missed a ton of holding calls, and called some penalties they shouldn't have. They looked better than most of the crews in the preseason, and didn't obviously affect the outcome of the game, I'll give you that.

They also called a phantom "clipping" (it was a borderline block in the back, not a personal foul) call on a kick return, which even had Michaels/Collinsworth scratching their heads. Kind of reminded me of the two "block in the backs" during the return called on KICKING teams in the preseason (something that in theory shouldn't be possible). Or the Bills first punt of the preseason, which was downed at the 6, but they somehow called a touchback...

As he said, this was the best crew. I'm sure we will see some pretty interesting officiating the rest of week one. Unlike the preseason, these games matter and mistakes won't be quite as "funny" any more.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

collingsworth seemed to think they did fine. I wouldn't worry. That one pass interference call on the cowboys safety covering that TE in the end zone was iffy. The pick that Cruz ran in the 1st quarter was a pretty big miss because it happened right at the line and probably would have been called by a more experienced NFL ref.

I noticed a ton of "moving picks" (offensive pass interference) not being called. I did not notice any ref bias which is WAY more of a worry to me - in my opinion, as long as the refs are

consistent in their non calls (or vice versa), then at least that is fair.

If, picks are not going to be called by the way - that helps those teams with spread formations and the like......like, umm....m the Bills!

What on God's green Earth were you watching last night? I thought these guys did a better job than most of the normal ones. The only one I thought they missed was the pass interference call and that could be argued that it would have been missed by anyone. Bad calls happen EVERY single game and I was expecting A LOT more.

If nobody told you they were replacement refs you wouldn't have noticed. But because you knew they were, every missed call is magnified. They were fine.

Offensive picks - are you f'ing kidding me? When is that ever called? Maybe twice per year in the league all season.

Edited by BuffOrange

The head ref definitely had a weird look about him... eyes half closed like he was stoned or something.

Officiating crews all looking like they are cast members of the new Adams Family may take some getting used to but the calls/non-calls didn't seem abnormal to me.

You can disagree. But they definitely missed a ton of holding calls, and called some penalties they shouldn't have. They looked better than most of the crews in the preseason, and didn't obviously affect the outcome of the game, I'll give you that.

They also called a phantom "clipping" (it was a borderline block in the back, not a personal foul) call on a kick return, which even had Michaels/Collinsworth scratching their heads. Kind of reminded me of the two "block in the backs" during the return called on KICKING teams in the preseason (something that in theory shouldn't be possible). Or the Bills first punt of the preseason, which was downed at the 6, but they somehow called a touchback...

As he said, this was the best crew. I'm sure we will see some pretty interesting officiating the rest of week one. Unlike the preseason, these games matter and mistakes won't be quite as "funny" any more.

Okay...How much did you lose on the game?

I thought the officials were pretty consistant with what we normally see on any given Sunday in the NFL. They missed a few holding/pass interference calls, like they always do. They threw a **** ton of flags on the Cowboys. And, they still won. Sure, I want the regular officials back...but as far as the quality of the game was concerned last night, if they hadn't remendied us that they were replacement officials, I don't think I would have even realized it.

If nobody told you they were replacement refs you wouldn't have noticed. But because you knew they were, every missed call is magnified. They were fine.

Offensive picks - are you f'ing kidding me? When is that ever called? Maybe twice per year in the league all season.

This is exactly what I was going to say. People will be going out of their way to find every little mistake these guys make. I didn't watch the game, but the basic complaints in this thread sound just like any other NFL game.

What on God's green Earth were you watching last night? I thought these guys did a better job than most of the normal ones. The only one I thought they missed was the pass interference call and that could be argued that it would have been missed by anyone. Bad calls happen EVERY single game and I was expecting A LOT more.

He was watching the same thing everyone else was. Just because you didn't see the missed calls, doesn't mean they didn't exist...

Cruz was blatantly held in the endzone, and the Giants D-line was getting held all night. I won't argue that regular officials don't also miss that stuff, but the fact of the matter is those calls were missed...

And the phantom clipping penalty on the kick return cannot be explained...

Edited by Turbosrrgood