Draft Picks - Gamble & Win or Use Em & Lose EM ?

T master

My question is - Do you gamble & use the picks to move up & get a player that you will keep (which we all know isn't Buddies style) or use the picks & get players to later just let them go to another team with no nothing in return ??

Draft picks are to valuable these days to waste them !!

My reason for this post is b/c 2 more Bills draft picks have went to the way side . Our recent history has been less than stellar in this regard !!

Mark Asper & Tank Carder never even cleared the waiver wire & they were scooped up by other teams , which goes to show that we had the right idea as far as drafting them .

But why wouldn't you cut a lower profile player or something or just deal your draft picks to move up & grab a sure thing , get at least one good player for the picks rather than just seemingly waste the pick ?

Again - Draft picks are to valuable !!

I know Buddies not a gambler when it comes to draft picks but DAM when you make a mistake learn from it then it's not a waste of time or draft picks !!! Gamble & use the picks to move up rather than just wasting them !!

I know i've not got the history in the NFL that some of these so called professional football people have & i get what they were trying to do by trying to get them on the practice squad , but by doing that we have wasted 2 more draft picks .

And seeing that even the greatly hated 1st round bust that is Arron Maybin is now putting up stats on another team along with all the other lost picks the last 5 years is screaming something .

Maybin ?? Anderson ?? Is there a difference ? We'll see !!

Edited by T master

Please tell me you are devastated by the fact that we cut a fifth-rounder and a sixth-rounder. Really?

Please tell me that your not blind enough to see that those 2 picks could have been used to better the team & if Carder becomes a starter for the Browns as it has been said by a reporter in Cleveland that just fortifies this post even more .

And i thought i didn't know any thing about football !! My stock just rose by your reply !!!! Please tell me your not employed by the Bills !!!

Oh and by the way wasn't Stevie Johnson a 7th rounder & Tom Brady a 6th ??

Edited by T master

Please tell me that your not blind enough to see that those 2 picks could have been used to better the team & if Carder becomes a starter for the Browns as it has been said by a reporter in Cleveland that just fortifies this post even more .

And i thought i didn't know any thing about football !! My stock just rose by your reply !!!! Please tell me your not employed by the Bills !!!

5ths and 6ths might come in and challenge for backups roles, but of they can't beat out the incumbents, they get cut.

Now, how many Stevie's and Bradys are there?

:blink:

Do you know why you can name Brady and SJ as late round picks that turned into stars? Because that NEVER happens. Plenty of late round picks don't even get signed by the teams that drafted them.

The Draft is just a crapshoot, no science to it, nobody has it mastered. What is certain is that there are only 53 players kept 22 starters and 1 kicker (our case 2), 1 punter, 1 long snapper. That leaves 28 spots to back up positions and cover special teams. I think they start with something like 85 players, you have to keep the players that give you the best chance to win right now. Yes it takes time for rookies to develop but they have to be relied upon for something too. The more talented the roster becomes the probability of keeping a develptmental player goes down. One thing we had the privledge of doing all those years we where desperate of talent we where able to mold a George Wilson, Keep a Freddy Jackson, Watch a small school nobody like Arthur Moats end Favres streak, and on a lesser note develop a jason peters and Demtress Bell. Im sure the front office had intentions on placing some on the practice squad but they have the right to go somewhere where they can compete on the active roster. We are going to lose some talent but where going to find a Scott Chandler here and ther also.

Odds are what gamblers live off of, just look up the odds of a Brady or Stevie or even a Fitz making a roster much less becoming a star in the league. I sure the must be some odds on it on the internet somewhere.

And i thought i didn't know any thing about football !! My stock just rose by your reply !!!!
:doh::lol:

Yeah you funny.

Because then the people who ripped the Bill's for cutting Edwards would be screaming again if you cut a vet to keep a draft pick. The Bill's are getting stronger so there is more chance of draft picks getting cut. From my accounts looking quickly at the Bill's Daily site the team lost seven players that were on the 53 man roster at the end of last season that were free agents or the Bill's didn't want back. The signed 4 FA and had 9 draft picks, plus one un-drafted FA made the team. In addition to that there were a ton of FA signings that for everyone that they signed they then cut. Basically though they lost 7 and added 14 so do the math someone is going to be cut. If they had one more good inside LB, then maybe they would have cut Morrison and kept Tank, but they felt they needed the depth there. Based on their judgement they kept the best 53 and/or the 53 with the most upside, both from a play and a contract standpoint.

Could they have made a pre-draft trade of their 5th and 6th round picks to move up a few spots in an earlier round, in hindsight easy to say that now. But at the time, you'd be needing to make this trade say at the beginning of the 3rd round to move up. You're not moving up enough into the late 2nd as teams drafting late are the good teams with a few holes to fill so they usually don't want to move down. So maybe they could have moved up to near the top of the 3rd round ASSUMING some team is willing to move down for an extra 5th and 6th round pick. Maybe there would have been a good player in the 5th round now that you can't draft. The other unknown between April and now is you have no idea who's getting hurt in training camp and having thos extra picks could come in handy. What if a LB had got hurt in training camp, then likely you'd have let Carder or if Woods didn't come back healthy then maybe you would have hung onto Asper.

The Pats cut one draft pick a 7th rounder, but cut five players who were from last years team, so does that mean they made an even bigger mistake by keeping the guy for one whole season and now cutting him??

Bottom line is these are low draft picks these things happen all the time.

But why wouldn't you cut a lower profile player or something or just deal your draft picks to move up & grab a sure thing , get at least one good player for the picks rather than just seemingly waste the pick ?

I know Buddies not a gambler when it comes to draft picks but DAM when you make a mistake learn from it then it's not a waste of time or draft picks !!! Gamble & use the picks to move up rather than just wasting them !!

I know i've not got the history in the NFL that some of these so called professional football people have & i get what they were trying to do by trying to get them on the practice squad , but by doing that we have wasted 2 more draft picks .

And seeing that even the greatly hated 1st round bust that is Arron Maybin is now putting up stats on another team along with all the other lost picks the last 5 years is screaming something .

Or just means that Cleveland has even worse LB's than we do

I disagree. Carder becoming a starter for Cleveland merely means that Cleveland is in far worse shape at the position. Nothing more.

It's too early to assume the Bills screwed the pooch by letting a 5th rounder go. Same with Asper.

GO BILLS!!!

My question is - Do you gamble & use the picks to move up & get a player that you will keep (which we all know isn't Buddies style) or use the picks & get players to later just let them go to another team with no nothing in return ??

Draft picks are to valuable these days to waste them !!

My reason for this post is b/c 2 more Bills draft picks have went to the way side . Our recent history has been less than stellar in this regard !!

Mark Asper & Tank Carder never even cleared the waiver wire & they were scooped up by other teams , which goes to show that we had the right idea as far as drafting them .

Do you really expect every player in every draft to make the team?? :doh:

PTR

My question is - Do you gamble & use the picks to move up & get a player that you will keep (which we all know isn't Buddies style) or use the picks & get players to later just let them go to another team with no nothing in return ?? <....>

I don't think Buddy made a mistake with our 5th and 6th round draft picks this year. Ordinarily, they would get more time on the roster to develop.

I think the mistake he made was gambling that Vince Young would become a decent backup QB in Chan Gailey's system with one off-season to master it.

To his credit, he recognized his mistake and took prompt action to remediate with TJax - but that, plus some DB injuries and uncertainty about the progress of an OL starter left him short on roster spots.

So he had to cut someone he didn't want to, and after discussion, he chose our 5th and 6th round picks as most expendable. I don't imagine he liked it too much.

If Carder starts for the Browns and Asper starts for the Vikings, it's a sign that those teams are thin at those positions, not a sign of how much we lost.

I'm not sure what the point about "Maybin?? Anderson?? is there a difference?" is all about

To do the OP justice, normally a 4th round pick is too high for "prophylactic IRing" and 5th round picks get at least a year to develop before a decision is made.

See Johnny White.

Anything 6th round or below, is a toss-up.

This is like when you break up with a girl because you don't like her, she starts dating someone else right away, & NOW you're upset about the good thing you lost.

"If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it, if you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it, ah ah ah ah ah ah"

Actually it's rare...very rare for a 5th or below draft pick to be something special that you can't replace with a simlar pick in the future. Most of the time they are serviceable players who can easily be replaced...all pros...no.

When you are drafting 5th and below alot of it is based on need f the individual team...not best player available. When you get to the 5th or later there really isn't a significant difference on paper...it just depends on luck and them matching your system.

So going into the draft ths past year....their glaring needs was OT, LB, and CB.......the rest was looked at more adding depth at other positions.

That part of the reason the patriots have gotten picks. They isn't have glaring needs so instead of wasting picks n players not going to make the team due to depth...instead push the pick to the ollowng year in case you need depth then

UDFA Delano Howell made the team which means the coaches think he had more upside than Asper and Carder. Good for the scouting dept, but it was bad for someone, likely Asper or Carder. Looks like the coaches also think in the "win now" era it is more important to be able to get a touch back with every kickoff than to develop a player for a couple years, get one above average to good season, then lose him via free agency (e.g Bell).

Edited by Steve O

UDFA Delano Howell made the team which means the coaches think he had more upside than Asper and Carder.

Not necessarily true....If you had 4 very good running backs do you keep all 4---no. It has to do with depth at the position.

The Bills OL had locked in 7 spots locked in on the team going into camp. That means only 1-2 roster spots for grabs going into camp. Had Asper been a 1st-4th round pick he makes the 53 man roster.

For the linebackers...they would have at most 7 spots of which 5 were locked going into camp. 1-2 jobs were available.

They basically set their roster up by saying for each position there is also a backup player there....11 positions on each...so 44 players....then you have the 3 ST players for 47....that means 6 roster spots left over....normal depth rules say 3 on offense and 3 on defense.

You try and guess who you can get to the PS and who you cant.

PTR

No i don't Promo but when you sit back & watch a winning team do what they do wouldn't you think others just might pay attention ? Especially if said team has 3 SB's & has been winning for over a decade .

I went & checked out the Pats site they cut 22 VETERANS & 1 - ONE draft pick . That tells me

1) that they believe in who they pick in the draft & want to try to develop them

2) they let the under achieving Vet's & one year under achievers go (such as Mcgee , Mckelvin , Edwards which we did)

Then there is roster room to develop younger draft picks that were on a winning , championship like programs in college .

If you want to change the mind set you first have to bring in players that are winners cut the hangers on & get younger & stronger while doing it . Keep the young vets , Woods , Levetrie , Byrd , Spiller , Hairiston & so on , those that show upside , get rid of those that are not contributing to the betterment of the team or aren't playing up to par such as Mcgee , B .Smith & give Brooks & other rookies that have shown something or Carder & Asper the chance to develop rather than just trash a pick ..

Another thing is just look around the league at all the EX Bills players that have added to winning organizations thay we either let go or let get away that have & will contribute for a team Poz , Whitner , Leonard even (yes i'm going to say it which kills me ) Maybin & that should at least send up some kind of flag - red , purple, blue i don't care the color but start changing something in that respect ???

Edited by T master

I was shocked to hear that Carder was let go, and that Chris White made the team. Obviously, the coaches know a lot more than us fans about how players are progressing, where they fit in on the team, their potention, etc... Buddy and Chan obviously thought Chris White was more valuabel on special teams, and that Morrison was better equipt to step in at ILB in a pinch. It's a numbers game.

Only time will tell if Carder will become a starting caliber LB'er in this league. I wish him the best.