5 signed to Practice Squad

bills44

As much as I liked Howell's progress in the preseason, especially considering he had no OTA's and mini-camp's , etc., I think he's in danger of losing his spot like Zach Pianalto last year. If Channix find an upgrade at WR or LB or CB, Howell could be gone. I hope we keep him though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rooting for Easley to turn is potential into on the field performance as much as anybody, but let's get it straight that Easley and Johnson are completely opposite types of players in terms of experience coming out of college. Stevie came out of Kentucky being a main option in a pass heavy system, so he had much experience, but lacked a true A+ feature like speed or size, and fell in the draft. Easley came out of nowhere, got very few reps until his senior year, and I believe they were a run-first offense but I could be wrong, so he doesn't have the inherant knowledge and experience that Stevie already had, whether he was sitting on PS or sidelines next to Jauron.

I'm rooting for Easley to turn is potential into on the field performance as much as anybody, but let's get it straight that Easley and Johnson are completely opposite types of players in terms of experience coming out of college. Stevie came out of Kentucky being a main option in a pass heavy system, so he had much experience, but lacked a true A+ feature like speed or size, and fell in the draft. Easley came out of nowhere, got very few reps until his senior year, and I believe they were a run-first offense but I could be wrong, so he doesn't have the inherant knowledge and experience that Stevie already had, whether he was sitting on PS or sidelines next to Jauron.

good points, Easley was VERY MUCH in a run first offense...UCONN was power football all day, everyday, passing to their WRs was a third option on offense, so Easley's gameplan/routes/offense was very vanilla, with that said, hes had two years to learn the NFL offense - I realize he has had health issues, but that shouldnt stop one from studying/learning the nuances of the NFL

and yes Stevie's offense at Kentucky was a bit more intricate, but its not like he carried their team haha....Keenan Burton was actually their top target while Stevie was there (although Stevie finished with better stats his last year there) and they were very much a run first offense - they were just a better offense all around than UCONN, so Stevie should have been a bit more advanced coming into the NFL...

Just a comment here, Easley was essentially a 1-yr college wonder....but so was Stevie. Stevie spent his 1st 2 yrs at Jr college, caught only about a dozen passes his Jr year at UK, and broke out his Sr year for a big season that got him drafted. Point being Stevie and Marcus have in common they both had very little college experience until their Sr year, which is I believe one reason why Stevie several years in the NFL to develop.

I can't comment on the relative qualities of their offense, not that much of a college football fan.

good points, Easley was VERY MUCH in a run first offense...UCONN was power football all day, everyday, passing to their WRs was a third option on offense, so Easley's gameplan/routes/offense was very vanilla, with that said, hes had two years to learn the NFL offense - I realize he has had health issues, but that shouldnt stop one from studying/learning the nuances of the NFL

It's one thing to learn something on paper, and another to build it into muscle memory and the area of one's brain that just reads-n-reacts. That's where Easley is - in theory, he knows what to do, but he needs to turn theory to practice.

Easley has the history the PS was designed for. He is a great talent as was shown in the last pre-season game where he exploited a Lions team of scrubs exhausted from having to redo a KR play. While it was far from an unbelievable achievement, Easley demonstrated an ability to catch the kick-off while still scanning the oncoming tacklers, pick a point of return and then made the proper read and had the speed to run it in for a TD.

Add to him showing some good ability in scoring the TD his tremendous effort in getting the 2 point conversion in that it all came down to his having the personal desire to break the plane of the goalline even with multiple :Lions trying to hold him back.

All this being said, he would not have had to rely on his strong personal will if with a little more experience he had run the route a step or two deeper downfield. With more PRACTICE he might develop the ability to run his routes a little better and not have to rely on his talent and desire alone.

Just a comment here, Easley was essentially a 1-yr college wonder....but so was Stevie. Stevie spent his 1st 2 yrs at Jr college, caught only about a dozen passes his Jr year at UK, and broke out his Sr year for a big season that got him drafted. Point being Stevie and Marcus have in common they both had very little college experience until their Sr year, which is I believe one reason why Stevie several years in the NFL to develop.

I can't comment on the relative qualities of their offense, not that much of a college football fan.

It's one thing to learn something on paper, and another to build it into muscle memory and the area of one's brain that just reads-n-reacts. That's where Easley is - in theory, he knows what to do, but he needs to turn theory to practice.

Easley has the history the PS was designed for.

Excellent post all around. He was all but officially named the #2 coming out of camp last year (which is practically damning with faint praise) and I think he's much closer than most practice squad fodder. There's nothing wrong with having projects on the PS--- as you said, that's what it's for.

Absolute surprise they didn't at least keep Tank Carder on the PS. From what I saw, the kid was flying all over the place. Actually predicted the guy to start seeing playing time by midseason. Shows how much we fans, or this fan at least, know from watching just a few plays.

Not keeping Roosevelt was a disappointment too. Hopes Easley finds his way back on the field--we are scary short on WR.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

Absolute surprise they didn't at least keep Tank Carder on the PS. From what I saw, the kid was flying all over the place. Actually predicted the guy to start seeing playing time by midseason. Shows how much we fans, or this fan at least, know from watching just a few plays.

Not keeping Roosevelt was a disappointment too. Hopes Easley finds his way back on the field--we are scary short on WR.

It's not their choice. They had to wait to see if he cleared waivers before they could put him on the PS, and Cleveland claimed him for their active roster. That's the risk you take when you cut folks; happens all the time.

Carder immediately signed with Cleveland and may end up starting because of a lot of injuries and overall sucktitude of the Browns roster and defense. There was little chance he was going to end up on the practice squad as a #5 pick with upside. He was simply beaten out on the Bills by a #5 pick from last year, Chris White.

It's not their choice. They had to wait to see if he cleared waivers before they could put him on the PS, and Cleveland claimed him for their active roster. That's the risk you take when you cut folks; happens all the time.

Even if the Bills told Carder they wanted him for their PS would he rather join an active roster?

PTR

They didnt pass on Tank.....Tank and Asper had to clear league wide waivers to make make it on to the PS. They DID NOT..Minnesota and Cleveland claimed them. Had they cleared both would have been on the PS. Teams that claim the players off waivers means they are on their final 53---not their PS.

If they were on their PS Buffalo can go out and claim them on their 53 man roster without compensation.

Its likely when they cut Thigpen one of the WRs cut comes back.

Teams know who was drafted by other teams and had their info on. You cut your picks teams are looking to get them. Minnesota saw Asper in the game Buffalo played at Minnesota. They probably liked what they saw in him on that day.