Why did Chan keep [Smith and McGee]

Niagara Bill

This crap again? Look, if you don't agree with Chan and Buddy, fine, but they've made it clear as freaking day that Brad Smith is a significant part of what they want to do. Starting threads asking why Smith is on the roster is a waste of everyone's time.

Happy freaking Labor Day.

Agree on Brad. -But McGee? Wtf does that guy do well? He couldn't cover a baby with a blanket.

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on Brad. -But McGee? Wtf does that guy do well? He couldn't cover a baby with a blanket.

You must not have been a Bills fan for long - McGee is one of the stronger corners we have ever had. If there is a chance we can get him back to the form is was in 2-3 years ago then it is a good bet

We did pretty good in the beginning of last season WITHOUT McGee. He got burnt alot LY., and dropped some balls that should have been easy INT's. Drayton played with more

I am still surprised about Drayton - I thought he was decent - and then he was also cut by his current team. I do have to say I think McKelvin actually looks better than he usually does.

I am still surprised about Drayton - I thought he was decent - and then he was also cut by his current team. I do have to say I think McKelvin actually looks better than he usually does.

When Dray got cut, I supported it because I thought we were going to UPGRADE the CB position. I fully expected Mcgee to be cut shortly after we picked up Gilmore.

I've always felt that Leodis was a tremendous athlete. I just hope he can FOCUS and be consistent this year.

Edited by #34fan

mcgee is fine and will practice monday... smith is versatile and allows us to keep extra players a certain spots.

wtf

Freddy J Or Cj can be as good a wild cat QB as Smith & have done it not to mention Tavaris Jackson being a QB that can run as good or better than Smith could be the wild cat guy & has a more legit arm & hell Brian Mormon has thrown more TD passes than Smith !!

Plus by doing any one of these moves especially using T Jack as the wildcat QB you would still cover all 3 positions that Smith can do for less money & bring along a player that we have already invested 2 years in keeping him on the team to see if he is infact that player that we wanted him to be .

And i would say by the last game we all saw that the guy has the speed to be a good kick returner & give us more depth at WR !!

Then there is Mcgee the guy is good but he can't stay healthy , i say this should be his last chance if he comes back & is anything but 100% or gets hurt again he should be gone immediately !!!

Edited by T master

About Smith....

As of last year, teams are allowed to dress an "emergency QB" who does not count against your game day total.

If you dress TT as the emergency QB, he'll sit on the bench, sip Gatorade and contribute nothing.

If you dress Smith as your emergency QB, you can let him run the Wildcat (which was effective in 3rd and short situations last year), as well as use him as backup KR and WR.

If you are going to dress an emergency QB, you might as well dress someone who will actually get on the field. By using Smith as the #3 QB, it's like we have an extra player every Sunday (he doesn't count toward the game day total). He might not be a great player at any position, but we get something from a role (emergency QB) that delivers nothing on most teams.

I thought the NFL did away with the "emergency QB" rule last year. They just added another roster spot for the games. The "emergency QB" could only come in at QB anyway, and if he did they your other two QBs could not re-enter the game. Was I asleep when something changed here?

I understand what you saying about Smith, however. My only question would be that if the Bills were forced to go to their third QB option how confident would you be with Brad Smith taking snaps? Would he be better than Thigpen? Or if you didn't want to have a third true QB how much different would it be if you just put Fred Jackson back there and ran the wildcat with him?

Edited by vincec

I thought the NFL did away with the "emergency QB" rule last year. They just added another roster spot for the games. The "emergency QB" could only come in at QB anyway, and if he did they your other two QBs could not re-enter the game. Was I asleep when something changed here?

I understand what you saying about Smith, however. My only question would be that if the Bills were forced to go to their third QB option how confident would you be with Brad Smith taking snaps? Would he be better than Thigpen? Or if you didn't want to have a third true QB how much different would it be if you just put Fred Jackson back there and ran the wildcat with him?

First, yes, the NFL did do away with the 3rd QB rule and now there are simply 46 eligible players instead of 45 plus 1. You don't have to designate a 3rd QB or even keep one.

Second, Gailey said the other day that they kept Thigpen for a couple reasons, one of which was that Brad Smith had a groin injury and they didn't know at that time if he would be available for the opener. With Jackson not knowing the playbook yet, those two things led to the decision to keep Thigpen for awhile. He was non-committal about how long that while will be, because they are still unsure how long it will take Jackson to be game ready, and still unsure of Smith's status.

Gailey also said he was uncomfortable going into a game without three quarterbacks available, even if one was the "emergency" meaning Smith.

I'm really hoping that in two days, Brooks is placed on IR and we re-sign Hagan or Roosevelt in his spot so this madness can stop.

I think we sign a CB to replace Brooks, especially because of McGee's uncertainty. We really don't need a #5 WR right now.

I'm embarrassed because you are right and I am apparently wrong. This is from PFT about the new rule:

"The owners and players have agreed to expand game day rosters from 45 to 46 active players. The No. 3 quarterback will no longer be an “emergency” inactive player."

But curiously, I found this as I researching the topic:

"I also think you could potentially see more teams looking at that third QB spot as a potential weapon. Maybe more teams will start employing hybrid or wildcat style QBs as that third guy. Think of the Jets with Brad Smith...".

Edited by hondo in seattle

Brad Smith was actually a pretty good fourth receiver for the Jets in his last couple seasons there. I think as a 5th WR and as a Wildcat QB he actually makes sense for this roster. I also have to think that Gailey has some sort of plan for Smith during the season to add a wrinkle to the offense. Either an expanded role of the wildcat or some trick plays involving end arounds and him throwing. So far Gailey has shown he likes versatility and Smith has that down,

1- 5th WR

2- Wildcat QB

3- Return Man

4- Can fill in on some special teams

5- Emergency QB

That's five roles Smith has shown he can do, like it or not Gailey sees the value in that.

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

Yeah, I think we spent enough time nursing Magee. I doubt he can stay healthy long enough to play. We would be better keeping healthy players which are developing. And as far as Brad Smith goes, he never looks like he's putting forth much effort in the plays he's involved in. I don't know how much we are paying him, but it's probably more than he has demonstrated that he is worth

How often do teams use 3 QBs in a game? It happens once a year maybe, Its so rare that worry about Smith having to play is so silly

How often do teams use 3 QBs in a game? It happens once a year maybe, Its so rare that worry about Smith having to play is so silly

The Jets are going to have to week 1 after Mario takes Sanchez's head off and Tebow gets hurt covering a punt.

Edited by biglukes