Why did Chan keep [Smith and McGee]

Niagara Bill

Brad Smith is a scrambling qb that gets direct snaps from our center once in awhile on 3rd and short. We call it the wildcat but unless you throw the ball, or present the threat of throwing to keep the defense guessing, its just a direct snap. As of today, nobody is going to watch film on Brad Smith running the wildcat and think he's going to throw. They will put 8 or 9 in the box and jam the lanes to stop him. But he's patient and pretty sneaky and did well on conversions last year. I think someone posted he was around 60% conversion percentage.

Chan will use him in this way early in the season, but I believe he'll also direct snap to Freddy and Spiller (like he did in the Pitt game) and make an assessment as to whether or not Brad is a better short yardage runner than....well...... our runners.

If Fitz gets hurt, Thigpen would go in, then Tarvaris, THEN Brad.

I think if Brad doesn't convert 3rds better than Fred or CJ he won't see the field much at all the rest of the year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith and McGee.

Smith is neither a QB or receiver of any note. He has not been a successful position player...ever, and he is injured so the excuse for back up QB is not reasonable. Keeping Easley or any of the other wideouts for kick returning etc would make far more sense. We now have 4 wideouts, and even a pick up will not help much with the so called very complicated offense that Chan has....remember the excuses for Graham and Travaris Jackson having to need time to learn the O that Fitz has now seen for 3 years

And McGee....hurt every week it seems, is also limping permanently and may not be ready to play in game one (and if he does it may only be for a few plays before he gets hurt again). With the injury to Brooks we now have 4 Corners left and need to use one for kick returns ( either Rogers or Mckelvin), which exposes them.

Seems to me we have left ourselves extremely exposed at 2 speed positions in order to keep Potter.

Then again maybe we overestimated the talent on this team and all those players cut are not really NFL players.

I can see keeping McGee if he is healthy, it is a young group of DBs, so his veteran leadership and experience will help. As far as Smith, I am with you-why is he here? He sucks returning kicks, he just runs straight until the first guy hits him, and he falls down if he doesn't fumble. He is an OK #5 or 6 wide receiver, but not great. As far as the Wild Cat, what did he do from that last year a couple first downs, no huge plays, and the league has figured that offense out. Having to keep 4 QBs, counting him as the #3 and an extra kicker (which I am fine with) has put the Bills already shallow depth at WR, even shallower.