Dwan Edwards cut

Kevin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that. Chris Brown had been reporting that Edwards was playing well. Carrington has been a non-factor at DE and DT. Gilbert seems pegged for DE and Heard does not seem to add much. I think that Edwards was an upgrade over what is left at DT, even if his more natural position is DE in a 3-4.

Actually there is a huge salary benefit. If you release him now you save having to pay him for the year and could use htta money to sign someone else. If you keep him on the roster beyond opening day, you then pay his salary for the season, then if you wish to sign someone else, you're paying for the new guy plus Edwards.

Higher priced backups rarely make it through the cuts, it's just not woerth it.

I too think this is a mistake. The Bills do not have great depth at DT now with only Spencer Johnson as a viable backup. Bills were well under the salary cap for the season too so that "benefit" of releasing him means nothing.

Last night in the shoutbox, I asked who the heck 98 was because this player was just getting brutalized. Someone reminded me it was Dwan....I was shocked to see how poorly he was playing, so Id have to say it's not a shock to see him cut today.

Best wishes, Dwan

Not sure about that. Chris Brown had been reporting that Edwards was playing well. Carrington has been a non-factor at DE and DT. Gilbert seems pegged for DE and Heard does not seem to add much. I think that Edwards was an upgrade over what is left at DT, even if his more natural position is DE in a 3-4.

Your forgetting about Spencer Johnson....who also has been a standout at camp

I think Edwards was a money issue. By cutting him he saves the Bills a little over $4 million on the cap. $4.375 million according to John Clayton.

Edited by Kevin

Gilbert is maybe playing DE just to prove versatility that he can do both.

Also, with the new IR rule, maybe they think they can get Troup back later in the year.

New IR rule doesn't affect Troup. He can't come back till next season. However McGee could benefit from it.