Did the Bills really reach for T.J. Graham?

Threads like these are a dime a dozen and a complete joke for having any meaningful discussion. The Bills didn't perceive a need for a quarterback with their 3rd round pick. They did perceive a need for a starting wide receiver and that's what they got. Getting your man juices flowing (unless you're a child of course), to make yourself believe that they should have picked this or that player over who they actually did, DESPITE obvious needs is borderline short bus thinking. They said it after the draft. Unless there was an OBVIOUS franchise QB available, they weren't going to pick him. That certainly doesn't apply to a guy projected to go in the 4th or 5th round.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, that's kind of the definition of a reach... drafting a player for need when there are high rated players on the board. not to say it definitely was with Graham. kinda hard to believe they didn't have other players rated higher than someone not many analysts even knew much about (including QB's they brought in like Wilson and Cousins); but if they really, honestly, believe he was a better player than anyone on the board then it was not. and maybe he is... sure doesn't look too bad yet.

Except.....TJ is looking like a pretty good darn receiver which is why the draft is such a crapshoot to begin with.......solid so far

The Russell Wilson love-fest on this board over the past 3 days is a new low. So because Matt Flynn crapped the bed during the pre-season, Wilson is suddenly the most brilliant 3d round pick since Joe Montana.

:doh:

It's not just that though. Praising Wilson is just never enough for Team Piss Parade. It MUST be accompanied by letting us all know, AGAIN, that Buddy and the FO are total idiots.

GO BILLS!!!

Before we lament not taking Wilson can we please see the guy play in games that matter? I am not saying R.Wilson will or won't be a good NFL QB but the jury is still out on both these guys. We needed help at WR TJ Graham fit the bill of the type of player we were looking for. IF TJ goes out and catches 40+ balls and makes a few big plays I think we got a good impact out of a 3rd round pick year one.

Also the WRs remaining were starting to dwindle and that was a big perceived need going into the offseason. The teir 2 guys were mostly scooped up and there was a drop off between them and the next group. We made a trade to get TJ ahead of Jacksonville, who also had a need at WR. The scouting reports from the draft gurus were somewhat spotty and even Mayock didn't have a ton of info on him. Thus far he has the speed and has shown to be further along than everyone anticiapted.

Chances are in the 4th is where we would have took either Cousins or Wilson, no one expected the Skins to grab Cousins. For all we know that is th QB who was off thee board when we wanted to draft one.

Wilson is a rookie who has only played in preseason games. We have no idea how either he or Graham will turn out. I do know that if we passed over Graham and grabbed a Cousins or Wilson, we would be hearing how we should have grabbed him instead of Cousins or Wilson. 6 of these or a half dozen of another...

In any event, check back in 3 years or so...

I posted this in another Russell Wilson thread:

2008: 9 QB's drafted after round 2-- none of them starting

2009: 8 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

2010: 12 QB's drafted after round 2--potentially 1 will start (John Skelton in Arizona)

2011: 6 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

In sum, over the last 4 years, you've seen 35 QB's drafted in the 3rd round or lower. From that group, you have, at most, one marginal starting QB

Drafting Wilson was like hitting the lottery.

Before we lament not taking Wilson can we please see the guy play in games that matter? I am not saying R.Wilson will or won't be a good NFL QB but the jury is still out on both these guys. We needed help at WR TJ Graham fit the bill of the type of player we were looking for. IF TJ goes out and catches 40+ balls and makes a few big plays I think we got a good impact out of a 3rd round pick year one.

Good post.

In addition, I would like to add if Graham never plays a down and Wilson goes on to a Hall of Fame career,

IT STILL WON'T MATTER!

GO BILLS!!!

Who said that Graham is a bust? I am just asking the question, who would you have rather had? TJ or Russell?

I think the Bills made a great choice, for an ACC receiver he has been doing great, don't you agree?

Wilson has been good, but starting a rookie QB is hard.

Eventually we are going to need to develop a QB behind fitz, that is young, not 29 years old, too.

NEXT YEAR IS OUR YEAR, QB I am saying Landry Jones

Who said that Graham is a bust? I am just asking the question, who would you have rather had? TJ or Russell?

I think the Bills made a great choice, for an ACC receiver he has been doing great, don't you agree?

Eventually we are going to need to develop a QB behind fitz, that is young, not 29 years old, too.

Read some of the threads from around the draft and some of the many "Russell Wilson" threads and you'll see many around here proclaiming Graham a bust.

Simply because we didn't take Wilson.

Amazing how those two are related by some.

GO BILLS!!!

I posted this in another Russell Wilson thread:

2008: 9 QB's drafted after round 2-- none of them starting

2009: 8 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

2010: 12 QB's drafted after round 2--potentially 1 will start (John Skelton in Arizona)

2011: 6 QB's drafted after round 2--none of them starting

In sum, over the last 4 years, you've seen 35 QB's drafted in the 3rd round or lower. From that group, you have, at most, one marginal starting QB

Drafting Wilson was like hitting the lottery.

Can't win the lottery unless you play though........

Regardles of Wilson (or Nick Foles) we way overeached as he was considered a 5th rounder and could have gotten him much latter.

The thing is, there's no way for anyone to actually know that. Maybe if Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock were doing the drafting for all 32 teams, but not one of us know what any team's draft board looked like.

Regardles of Wilson (or Nick Foles) we way overeached as he was considered a 5th rounder and could have gotten him much latter.

just cause the talking box says it doesnt make it true. TJ was taken where he was for a reason, to say that he "would've been there later" is just speculation, not fact.

And we all know that Kiper, McShay, etc are inflable. BTW how's Jevon Snead's NFL career going?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'd take Graham, bc thats who we took and had rated higher.

If you wanna talk QB's for next yr, I'm thinking Geno Smith from West virginia is chans kind of guy.