rothlesberger blames bills field for decastro injury

"We don't obviously know -- well, I don't know what the official word is. This is a great field, but it's FieldTurf, and it's just killing guys because they can't get their feet out of the ground, and it's just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf."

Could he be onto something? Could this explain the bills league leading injury stats ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leg injuries probably. Not much else. Grass is the best obviously. This turf is much better than the old stuff though. I haven't been on the field for this field but the old one i was bad. Felt like there were divots all over the field. I could imagine it being the reason for lots of rolled ankles.

They used to. The field in Pitts old stadium used tonneau horrible. I remember a pre game warmup when they showed a 2" gap in between the some of the field pieces. In fact I rember back in the day some coach refused to play in a pre season game or something along those lines because of the bad field. Not sure if that time was Pitt or not, maybe someone can verify this. I may be wrong about it. Pretty sure they play on grass at the new Hienz field though.

Edit: yup, it's grass

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Field

Edit: it was Philly that had a game cancelled

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/games/2001-08-13-canceled.htm

Edited by mrags

There was a game in Pittsburgh (non BIlls) a few years ago where the field was in the worst shape I've ever seen. It was so soft and muddy and such that huge gashes were all over the field. There was one punt that sailed high into the air and when it landed it just plopped in a squishy area and didn't even it bounce or move it just landed and stuck. They said there was a high school game and then a college game and also constant raining the in the days leading up to the Steelers game.

Edited by Boludo

There was a game in Pittsburgh (non BIlls) a few years ago where the field was in the worst shape I've ever seen. It was so soft and muddy and such that huge gashes were all over the field. There was one punt that sailed high into the air and when it landed it just plopped in a squishy area and didn't even it bounce or move it just landed and stuck. They said there was a high school game and then a college game and also constant raining the in the days leading up to the Steelers game.

I remember that game. Wasn't it an incredibly low scoring game due to the field (6-3 or something, Steelers over the Dolphins) on MNF?

Edit: It was a 3-0 win of the Steelers over the Dolphins. Here's a video of the punt:

Edited by Haplo848

Big Ben should blame Marcell Dareus for completely dominating David DeCastro....not the turf.

I was going to say something along the same line. Maybe DeCastro should learn not to get blown off the line and shoved 15 feet back into Roethlesberger... Maybe Ben should start there with his criticism, then move to the field conditions.

I was going to say something along the same line. Maybe DeCastro should learn not to get blown off the line and shoved 15 feet back into Roethlesberger... Maybe Ben should start there with his criticism, then move to the field conditions.

Not applauding injuries. Not doing that. But I cant agree more. During the first half, up until the D Line went Night Night (which put me close to the cliff) with the 99 yard brain fart, they where getting good push. Not only did Decastro get injured, Pittsburgh lost another lineman as well and it was because of how, for 10 minutes maybe, intense the Bills Defense was.

People have been picking on the DL for the pass rush "disappearing" during the long Steeler drive before half time but I remember several maximum protection passes vs 4 man ruses where the receivers still got wide open or Roethlisberger threaded the needle. That's on the DBs. You can't expect 4 men to beat 7 in protection quickly. You expect that 3 WR can't get open vs 7 in coverage. If the coverage can't hold up then the answer is to blitz to keep the pressure up, but usually when a team has to max protect vs 4 it's not good for their passing game.

Watching the replay several times and the field had nothing to do with the injury to DeCastro. Injury was caused by their center rolling up on his leg.

Great MNF video. I remember that game but forgot about the ball plugging. I have seen that happen many times with a golf ball, but certainly not in football. Too funny!

They used to. The field in Pitts old stadium used tonneau horrible. I remember a pre game warmup when they showed a 2" gap in between the some of the field pieces. In fact I rember back in the day some coach refused to play in a pre season game or something along those lines because of the bad field. Not sure if that time was Pitt or not, maybe someone can verify this. I may be wrong about it. Pretty sure they play on grass at the new Hienz field though.

Edit: yup, it's grass

http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Heinz_Field

Edit: it was Philly that had a game cancelled

http://www.usatoday....13-canceled.htm

It was Phillys turf not Pitts.

My son tore his ACL playing on field turf in college. His cleats were too long, and his foot wouldn't twist. For field turf, cleats must be very short.

The High School that I work at has FieldTurf (thanks to a generous donation), and the kids wear short spikes explicitly to prevent said injuries.