WGR 550AM-Lack of Bills talk and the epic discussion about olives

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Murphy's show is by far the best thing that has aired on WGR in the last 10 years. He brings interesting points, does great interviews and knows the Bills and NFL football in general better than probably anybody else on that station. He is always well prepared and delivers a great show. Hopefully his program doesn't end when the season does.

Schopp and Bulldogg could learn a few things from Murphy. There's not much more to say about those two than what's been said already in this thread. They can be the absolute worst at times.

John Murphy's show is by far the best thing that has aired on WGR in the last 10 years. He brings interesting points, does great interviews and knows the Bills and NFL football in general better than probably anybody else on that station. He is always well prepared and delivers a great show. Hopefully his program doesn't end when the season does.

Agreed.

WGR should extend a full time offer to Murph after the season is over. His show is smart, fun, and engaging.

I like those peppers stuffed with provolone and prosciutto. Those are like olives, right?

PTR

Hey they're at the olive bar in wegmans so it works for me. They are my favorite thing at the olive bar "pepper shooters" is the name for them. It's criminal that they cost 7.99 a pound though.

Wait can we be the drive home show on wgr now?

Edited by section122

I know people hate Colin Cowherd, but I heard him describe the Bills today in 3 words: MOST IMPROVED TEAM. It would be nice to hear an opinionated national perspective on our team not named Jim Rome. Can't they move that sylvester show to the evenings? And have it during hockey season? I have zero interest in hockey right now. I'd be curious to see if his ratings resemble my feelings.

I am all for anything that keeps Colin Cowherd off the air...he is the ultimate dip-****. Big whoop! He said the Bills were "most improved"! That is what every ESPN personality is saying rigth now...because they just repeat the same ****, over and over...just wait...if the Bills don't live up to expectations, Cowherd will only mention the Bills, to say they are "irrelvevant" because "small market teams don't matter". Who needs ESPN to validate our team for us?

The show with Sylvester, I agree, is a little tough to listen to in the off-season...but, you do know, the have a Bills show (you know, the team everyone says they "never talk about") in the evening, so moving the Sabres show to the evening wouldn't really work out. Sylvester seems like a good guy, but a little dull...when he co-hosts with Andrew Peters, it is much better. He is only on one day a week...as awful a hockey player as I always thought Peters was (his "fights" were just embarassing), he is pretty funny, and surprisingly quick witted. I would like to hear more Peters, in regards to the Sabres.

It seems like there is a "I hate GR" thread just about every other day. I get the feeling that people are steeped in their positions from years ago. Schopp isn't likely to win anyone over at this point, but, they are doing, in my opinion, a pretty decent job of covering the Bills. I haven't heard Jerry Sullivan on there in some time..,.not sure if he is still on medical leave, or gone for good. A lot has changed. Joe Buscaglia and Sal Cappochio (sp?) are both really good...Howard and Jeremy talk plenty of sports, and almost all of it revolves around Bills & Sabres....honestly, I would much prefer to hear it from Buffalo, than the cozy (clueless) confines of ESPN's Bristol studios.

I am all for anything that keeps Colin Cowherd off the air...he is the ultimate dip-****. Big whoop! He said the Bills were "most improved"! That is what every ESPN personality is saying rigth now...because they just repeat the same ****, over and over...just wait...if the Bills don't live up to expectations, Cowherd will only mention the Bills, to say they are "irrelvevant" because "small market teams don't matter". Who needs ESPN to validate our team for us?

The show with Sylvester, I agree, is a little tough to listen to in the off-season...but, you do know, the have a Bills show (you know, the team everyone says they "never talk about") in the evening, so moving the Sabres show to the evening wouldn't really work out. Sylvester seems like a good guy, but a little dull...when he co-hosts with Andrew Peters, it is much better. He is only on one day a week...as awful a hockey player as I always thought Peters was (his "fights" were just embarassing), he is pretty funny, and surprisingly quick witted. I would like to hear more Peters, in regards to the Sabres.

It seems like there is a "I hate GR" thread just about every other day. I get the feeling that people are steeped in their positions from years ago. Schopp isn't likely to win anyone over at this point, but, they are doing, in my opinion, a pretty decent job of covering the Bills. I haven't heard Jerry Sullivan on there in some time..,.not sure if he is still on medical leave, or gone for good. A lot has changed. Joe Buscaglia and Sal Cappochio (sp?) are both really good...Howard and Jeremy talk plenty of sports, and almost all of it revolves around Bills & Sabres....honestly, I would much prefer to hear it from Buffalo, than the cozy (clueless) confines of ESPN's Bristol studios.

What does this have to do with olives? Please stay on topic. :D

My buddy and i were just saying the other day...how is it that Buffalo can't find anyone better for local sports talk during the afternoon drive. Schopp just sounds dopey and the "Bulldog" can't speak a sentence without saying the word LIKE every other word! It's incredibly bothersome..dude you're a professional on the radio. Stop saying LIKE all the time...you sound like a teenager.

My buddy and i were just saying the other day...how is it that Buffalo can't find anyone better for local sports talk during the afternoon drive. Schopp just sounds dopey and the "Bulldog" can't speak a sentence without saying the word LIKE every other word! It's incredibly bothersome..dude you're a professional on the radio. Stop saying LIKE all the time...you sound like a teenager.

He sounds like Lisa Simpson when she was trying to fit in with the cool kids. "Like you know, whatever. Like you know, whatever."

Edited by biglukes

And he abuses "Ya Know" rather egregiously too. Very annoying. Jerry Sullivan actually asked him on-air whether he ever listens to himself recorded to hear how bad he sounds.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Why do you hate Cowherd? I think a lot of people hate him b/c he has a strong opinion and likes confrontation. People perceive this as arrogance because they don't like confrontation. His opinions are usually backed up by rational, logical thoughts. To an extent, I think that's why a lot of people hate Schopp and generally like Bulldogg, Coach Sal, etc. The problem w/Schopp is his rational for his opinions has too many holes. Oh, and it's obvious he hates his job.

Black olives on pizza, hands down. Now for green olives ... get yourself a can dark red kidney beans. Add some sazon, sofrito, recaito, tomato sauce, jamon seasoning (ham flavored) and a couple tablespoons of chopped green olives. Now you're talkin', baby. That's how I rock olives.

Why do you hate Cowherd? I think a lot of people hate him b/c he has a strong opinion and likes confrontation. People perceive this as arrogance because they don't like confrontation. His opinions are usually backed up by rational, logical thoughts. To an extent, I think that's why a lot of people hate Schopp and generally like Bulldogg, Coach Sal, etc. The problem w/Schopp is his rational for his opinions has too many holes. Oh, and it's obvious he hates his job.

I don't feel like rehashing why I loathe Colin Cowherd so much...I feel like I have spent more time thinking about him than I really want to over the years...I assume you like him, which is fine.

But, did you ever notice how much his opinions shift? He will never admit to being incorrect about anything, I hate hearing about how things are relevant or irrelevant because of ratings, big market, etc...he harps on the same things, every freaking day (yeah, I get it, you have a major boner for Lebron, and Tiger, and anyone who is perceived as the "best" at anything)....to me, he just epitomizes everything bad about ESPN. He isn't particularly knowledgable, he is a front runner (he used to be a Lebron "hater", until he realized he might be pretty good), and he comes up with the worst analogys ever, and just stretches them out until you want to punch the radio/computer... I think he is really bad... I don't mind that he has strong opinions, but I think his opinions are formed not out of any sort of knowledge beyond the surface, but merely for the purpose of disagreeing with what he percieves as "popular opinion" so he can fill 3 hours, or however long, with his incessant blather...

That is why I hate him.

I don't feel like rehashing why I loathe Colin Cowherd so much...I feel like I have spent more time thinking about him than I really want to over the years...I assume you like him, which is fine.

But, did you ever notice how much his opinions shift? He will never admit to being incorrect about anything, I hate hearing about how things are relevant or irrelevant because of ratings, big market, etc...he harps on the same things, every freaking day (yeah, I get it, you have a major boner for Lebron, and Tiger, and anyone who is perceived as the "best" at anything)....to me, he just epitomizes everything bad about ESPN. He isn't particularly knowledgable, he is a front runner (he used to be a Lebron "hater", until he realized he might be pretty good), and he comes up with the worst analogys ever, and just stretches them out until you want to punch the radio/computer... I think he is really bad... I don't mind that he has strong opinions, but I think his opinions are formed not out of any sort of knowledge beyond the surface, but merely for the purpose of disagreeing with what he percieves as "popular opinion" so he can fill 3 hours, or however long, with his incessant blather...

That is why I hate him.

Ratings / market size matter because sports is an entertainment business. Don't lose sight of that, especially at a national level. The Bills will always be David and the Patriots will be Goliath. Cowherd admits to being wrong. They have a whole "Where Colin was right/Where Colin was wrong" segment. Smart people are open to changing their opinions over the course of time. It's because they are constantly re-evaluating and listening to others. My problem is with the classic ESPN talking heads (i.e. Mark Schlereth) who say nothing opinionated or knowledgable, just state the obvious and keep it dumb.