Has Anyone Broken Down Gilmore's Play?

Without the use of a coaches actual breakdown film its impossible to evaluate players. Sometimes they get beat and the ball was never thrown in there direction and you will never see that on TV coverage.

From what I see on TV, he looks pretty good....he rarely gets beat.

Edited by HOUSE

From what I saw live, when I focused on him, he's probably 80% of the way there. There is no doubting his ability. Specifically, he was mostly on his guy's hip, and often had his head already turned and was looking for the ball when it came out...but not his way.

However, on screen play where he got beat...he was slow to recognize the play. Athletically, he could have stopped it for no gain. There can be no doubt about that. However, mentally, he hesitated, and then made it worse by taking a bad angle to the ball carrier, hence TD.

He's not "lockdown" yet. But I have little doubt that he has the ability to be.

I believe he was beat bad on the first big play in the Redskins game when Garcon ran a slant/post... cant exactly remember the route. Just going off of the top of my head however.

Doomed.

It seems that 2 people brought up that they noticed Gilmore getting beat on the first play in both pre season games. It sounds like the opposing teams are targeting the rookie early. As some said, he's not completely shutdown yet but I have no doubt he will be. I have strong feelings that Gilmore and Brooks will be our 1 & 2 for quite a few years as long as we can lock them up. With Williams size, speed,, and strength he seems perfect to be the Nickle guy covering some of these bigger tight ends that we see on a regular basis.

He's been solid. A couple of mistakes, but that's what preseason is for. He looks great for a rookie. Heck, he looks pretty good for a vet. Not worried about Gilmore at all. I think his play can best be summed up by the pass he defended in the Vikes end zone. Ponder put the ball up for Simpson, and before it even came close Gilmore had shoved Gilmore 3 yards out of bounds.

I think he's running hot and cold, not only is still pre-season, we actually don't have enough data to gauge his impact on the defense. Maybe we will learn more about him this Saturday when the starters get more playing time.

Perhaps I'm the one misremembering, but on the screen to Garcon in the Redskins game, I think that was McLovin's man and Leodis was slow in coming up. And the one against Minny didn't occur on his side of the field. On the quick slant, he was playing outside technique and he got caught on that but receivers and QBs are gonna make plays, too. So far, hes' been nothing short of a solid starter at CB, both in practice and the scrimmages from what I can gather.

GO BILLS!!!

In the redskins game we dont even know if Garcon was his assignment on that play......

All corners get beat...the question is does it get covered up by a massive pass rush up front? It mostly will this year.

The interesting thing is I couldnt help but get this feelign that the longer the starters were on the field (especialy Gilmore) that eventually a game changing play was gonna be made....we started substituting really really quickly in these games.