Will Ron Brooks take McGee's place?

Luxy312

Brooks might be better than Williams and replace him at some point this season. Not sure Williams is going to be a long term guy for us.\ I hope come real season he pulls it together, he has all the tangibles.

McGee. i think we hang on to him if he can get on the field by end of preseason. Coach is bringing him in slowly and gently. Giving him the best opportunity to succeed. I hope he does. we keep six.

all that being said i hope we have an eye on a waiver wire player!!

Go Terrence!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i have read he has been hobbled or nicked more than once this ota/ mini/ TC preseason.

Has missed reads and looked a bit lost at times.

From what i have seen he can play the run very well at times which is what we want . Maybe better as a package guy right now. He was thrown to the wolves last year i suppose but struggled.

Maybe he has just had some nagging problems. i still have hopes for him of course.

I should have said that if we dont see him doing well Ron Brooks has a big upside and with exp i expect him to exceed Williams ceiling. apples to oranges not sure

Based on everything I've read and heard from training camp and the first preseason game, Ron Brooks is really shining. It sounds to me like a great problem to have, but I have to wonder if McGee's days are numbered. With Gilmore and Williams clearly the starters, will Brooks make McGee the odd man out? Don't get me wrong as I like McGee. Just interested in what people think.

He might. He could also nose out A. Williams. It isn't impossiible. History has taught Bills fans that wasting prime resources on defensive backs doesn't mean that they will be all that good, or actually result in wins. In fact, the contrary stands out.

Edited by Bill from NYC

can somebody provide specifics as to WHY Williams has dropped off so much?...

Is it we're just so enamored with Gilmore, that he's garnered all the attention?

He hasn't dropped off. He's inconsistent which is a problem he had last season. People raised their expectations for him and he hasn't met them which is why it 'seems' there has been a dropoff.

He might. He could also nose out A. Williams. It isn't impossiible. History has taught Bills fans that wasting prime resources on defensive backs doesn't mean that they will be all that good, or actually result in wins. In fact, the contrary stands out.

So what you're saying is that it would be wise for the Bills to devote at least a couple of picks each year to DBs, to ensure that they find ones who can play?

what's the history of a team starting 2 rookie CB's in a playoff game?,,, can't be a long list

Great question. I tried to search for it, but came up empty of even a discussion.

The list probably isn't long.

I know that the Niners won the Super Bowl in 1981 with two rookies starting at cornerback… Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright.

Their starting strong safety, Carlton Williamson was also a rookie.

The list probably isn't long.

I know that the Niners won the Super Bowl in 1981 with two rookies starting at cornerback… Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright.

Their starting strong safety, Carlton Williamson was also a rookie.

Yep. And their other safety, Dwight Hicks was the elder statesman of the secondary with a full two years in the league. That whole defense was pretty young except for Hacksaw Reynolds.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think the Bills will cut Mcgee. When healthy he is the best DB on the team. Gilmore included. When i say that experience counts.

If McGee cant go on opening day I think We go with Gilmore and Williams. I hope we keep him around even if its on the PUP list. Then he will have at least 6 more weeks to heal up. That way we can save a roster spot for an extra WR or LB.

It may go down like that.

And I like Brooks , I think he maybe a steal. OBD did their homework on this kid. The more he plays it seems the better he gets.

Edited by Bufcomments

Im still wondering why florence was let go and not mcgee....

Good point. Never understood that move...unless Nix thinks McGee as the leader on the defense (like the Kelsay signing). If so, then McGee will be on the 53 man roster.

The problem with all the "McGee is the best CB on the team when he is healthy" stuff has to stop. He hasn't been healthy in over 4 years!!! Which means he's not the best CB because he can't stay on the damn field.

Brooks looks very good. I see him and Gilmore starting in the future. Not sure how soon but in the future. McGee better get his @$$ on th field by the 3rd preseason game or he's not going to make it. Sure the experience and leadership is great but when it takes away from another position of a young guy with potential in Any position then you have a real serious Issue that needs to be worked out. Regardless if he's kept or not, this would be his last year anyway. The FO will male the descision based on that. If they don't think McGee can stay healthy all year and contribute all year, he's gone. End of story.

T Mcgee ain't goin nowhere.

Seasoned vet coming back from injury. Has teh respect of the organization, doesn't complain or mouth off has been a model Bill, restructured his contract etc etc etc. Only way he goes is PUP. He is an all time great Bill.

Sorry, but McGee has lost more than just a step. -Not saying he hasn't been a model Bill, but in this division, we need more production and speed out of our secondary. I'd be satisfied with a significantly reduced role for T. McGee.

I think they keep McGee. Chix said long ago that they were aiming for him to be ready at the start of the season, not through training camp. He reduced his salary during the offseason and has been the best CB on our team when he's on the field. He probably doesn't have too many years left in him. But he's certainly worth keeping if he has a few. He's better than Williams, who by all reports hasn't shown enough consistency nor enough improvement over last year. We'll see how he progresses through the year.

As for Ron Brooks, he's talented, but still raw. In the middle of camp Gailey said directly that he still had a lot to learn. I don't know if Brooks can be an outside CB. I feel better with him starting on the inside. I think Ron Brooks' REAL competition is McKelvin. Leodis has been moved inside and has still struggled.

I think that we keep 6 CB as they are decent ST'ers and they're small and get hurt a lot:

Gilmore, Williams, McGee, Ron Brooks, Justin Rogers (KR) and either Prince OR McKelvin. Prince has made a few very nice plays, but consistency matters a lot for a DB, because a bad move can be fatal. I haven't watched him enough to know if he has any. McKelvin has great athleticism and that may buy him the roster spot over Prince, But I'm rooting for Prince honestly.

So what you're saying is that it would be wise for the Bills to devote at least a couple of picks each year to DBs, to ensure that they find ones who can play?

What I'm saying is that the Bills got some good production from defensive backs who weren't necessarily first round picks, or in the case of AW, the second pick of round 2. Remember, after the 2011 draft, it was Nix who said that they had, "multiple trade down offers in every round."

Last season, the Giants drafted a corner in round 1. He was injured for the bulk of the season. They won the superbowl anyway, primarily due to their great defensive line. It is a wonderful thing that the Bills finally devoted major resources to their DL.

As for drafting dbs every year, this isn't necessarily something that I am against. But before doing so with early selections, a team should be stocked with linemen on both sides, and a solid QB.

Jmo.

Sorry, but McGee has lost more than just a step. -Not saying he hasn't been a model Bill, but in this division, we need more production and speed out of our secondary. I'd be satisfied with a significantly reduced role for T. McGee.

I can see a reduced role for him while we bring along new kids perfectly. I think he would be satisfied with a reduced role also as he he reduced his salary. I just hope he is able to go because of how classy a Bill he has been.

I would like him to be able to go out on his terms and assist us in bringing along his replacements.I really appreciate the memories he has provided us over the years and will miss him. This guy has endured a lot as a Bill and to lose out on this season when it appears we have righted the ship finally would be sad. He dseserves to be on a winner.

I am well aware as some are pointing out he has rarely been on the field the last two years or has lost a step etc. That doesn't change the fact that he may be able to contribute in many ways still as long as he is able to go by the start of the season.

Tony, I saw what you posted about the PUP list thanks for correcting me on that.

What about McGee as a free safety? Other veteran CB's have made this transition near the end of careers. Chan has expressed a desire to add depth at safety...perhaps it's already here?

That's actually not a bad idea, but I don't think it will happen. Bottom line is McGee isn't healthy, if he was he would make a great Nickle back. I doubt the Bills are going to cut a young healthy guy, to keep a battered unhealthy veteran, with a veteran salary.

I'm a big McGee fan, but his football time might be over.

He's not big enough.

I’ve wondered this in another post as well. If he has lost a step and more importantly can get healthy, I think this could be a good move for him. He’s got the smarts and has never been afraid to make a tackle.

McGee is 1 inch shorter and 2 pounds heavier than Byrd is so he’s not too small to make the switch. Especially since he wouldn’t be asked to be the full time FS, he’d be a backup/package player.

I would really hate for him to get cut without at least getting a chance to get on the field. I wish we would have put him on the PUP list before training camp to really give him time to get healthy. If he has anymore setbacks, I see him ending up on IR again.

I'm not one to comment about making positional changes, but I think the coaches need to consider moving McGee to backup FS. His veteran leadership can be an asset in our secondary where we're so young. That also frees up room at CB to get younger. It'd be a waste to just cut McGee.

But I'm rooting for Prince honestly.

I think Prince and Isaiah Green have potential, and could both be on the PS this year, with the Bills keeping

Williams, McGee, Brooks, Gilmore, Rogers, and McKelvin.

I'm not one to comment about making positional changes, but I think the coaches need to consider moving McGee to backup FS. His veteran leadership can be an asset in our secondary where we're so young. That also frees up room at CB to get younger. It'd be a waste to just cut McGee.

Great idea. We'd see the move pretty soon in preseason if they're even thinking about it.

T Mcgee ain't goin nowhere.

Seasoned vet coming back from injury. Has teh respect of the organization, doesn't complain or mouth off has been a model Bill, restructured his contract etc etc etc. Only way he goes is PUP. He is an all time great Bill.

Once a guy walks on the field for training camp, PUP is no longer an option